Living With Lipos--Safely!

GoldenMotor.com

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
So Magwa, seeing as you are the first graduate of this lipo "school", how are you finding lipo usage so far?
Well, I have to say that I have a healthy respect for them. Both for their capacity to deliver power, and in their using a small amount of space
for their juice.

Whether or not I'm in safety "overkill mode" as to their padded cradles on my build, I hope to never find out.

I have charging bags. We are off for a vacation. So and I took the batteries I have out to the patio. And, in their sealed charging bags, put them
in the BBQ in the middle of the concrete patio. Now, I suspect that's overkill. But, so what?

My only adventure so far (after the series wiring) was to try to drop the voltage using a balance storage discharge. I started with the cells from
between 3.91and 3.86. They came into balance pretty well, but it took a long time with those (two) 80W chargers...Or for whatever reason.
But, then again, time was on my side.

I went for a ride with total voltage at 46.9 and it did okay. Now, I'm in storage mode at an average 3.48v/cell.

When we get back, I'll charge up to 4.2/cell for a couple of rounds of neighborhood rides and report back.

I'm thinking that in the real world, I'll be looking forward to getting a couple of stronger chargers. LC was right. As much time as I have, and as
much fun as it is to sit and drink coffee and read the paper, I think itching for a full charge to top off might get to me.

cvlt1

Points are: Lipos are for me. This build was made for Lipos. So, Lipos are what I'll probably stick with from here out. Until something even
cooler comes along, that is.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
3.8v/cell is considered storage voltage, not 3.48v. You are already under the LVC at 3.48v.
Don't go under 3-3.2v/cell. Unless you want expensive green paper weights.

LVC 3.5v/cell.

Better to be safe than sorry. Overkill on safety is kinda the thread point.
Way less money to replace a BBQ than your garage/house.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
In my shop we kill LiFePO, LiFePO no kill you.

OK lousy humor. So far, so good. But seriously I've had three die so far. 1 home grown Cyclone, 1 Ping and just last week, 1 EM3ev. Mostly from too much deep cycling and cold charging and cold storage.

I really believe if you live in cold to cold-moderate temps the batteries should be brought inside and charged at RT. Which of course causes a safety dilemma if you don't have a heated area.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
We are talking Hobby King LiPo here not LifePO4 style that is a different chemistry, I killed one of the Lifepo4 from over-discharging.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Pablo
You maybe able to fix your dead LiFePO4 batteries if you can locate and replace the bad cells that are most likely killing your packs.

From my experience it is only a couple bad cells that kill off the entire pack.
You maybe able to get a little more life out of the battery if you can replace a few bad cells.

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
3.8v/cell is considered storage voltage, not 3.48v. You are already under the LVC at 3.48v.
Don't go under 3-3.2v/cell. Unless you want expensive green paper weights.

LVC 3.5v/cell.

Better to be safe than sorry. Overkill on safety is kinda the thread point.
Way less money to replace a BBQ than your garage/house.
Right on.

My previous posting of the existing level of charge was a slip of the keyboard.

Now that I'm back from a too-long and strange trip across the pond, I can reply:

After the first run, my average cell voltage is resting at 3.87 volts. As per good practice and directions
from both you and CB2, I have the alarms set for 3.5v.

And, my cells (at least, the ones in my batteries) won't get any lower than 3.5v without my:

1) Knowing about it;

-and-

2) Charging them, with a balanced charge, back up into operating range.

Magwa

tiny-n-terrible

May 25, 2013
usa
This is why I use only Nissan leaf batteries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz37WycW-7E&feature=youtu.be

I use used Nissan Leaf batteries, from a wrecked car . Here is some info .
http://hybridautocenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=631

They are very big like a sheet of paper.
Way safer than Hobby King Seconds.

Old example of converting a leaf battery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcqaAz1vjlo

Latest info for easy conversion.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52162&start=150

Last edited: