Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Re: liquid cooled ht

Glad this thread still lives but what happened? Did it work? Is it done? How about a update? When I used to drive up my very long hill to get home about half way up the hill my motor would over heat and lose almost all power, this would make all the difference. Cool idea! (pun intended lol)
this is the only reason i'm doing this. to have the only h20 cooled ht. and to be able to hold it wfo for as long as i want.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

the pump is gonna be one of a kind setup cant wait to mount that up should be a good time. it even comes with the motor pulley

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

peugeot 103 doppler 50cc 40mm h2o head - no decomp

I'm getting one of these. Cutting a piece of 1/8th inch aluminum to fit inside, recessed so there is no interference with the cylinder seal and AlumaWeld it in, reduce the size of the water passage and add an outlet. Prob use an electric pump based on a 6 volt fan motor

I thought you could do the same, even if modding the MM head you have now. It could be easily jacketed. For even flow remove some of the fins behind any inlet/outlet so water can get to all surfaces. Now, you could split the coolant or run from the bottom to the head to the rad then pump etc.

You want to make sure you don't move the water through too fast, It won't properly cool if you do. And they do run better with some heat in them as you know. There are what are called Tic Toc Timers for cars that switch the fan and electric water pump on back and forth so they don't run at the same time. This is hooked into an electric thermostat that turns on the system at the right temp.

...and you thought this was going to be easy ;)

Last edited:

zachattack

Dec 2, 2010
missouri

just wondering mabey you could pump the water through the engines like nitro cars pump fuil to the carb. it works like this, there is a line from the exahust to the fuel tank which from the back pressure in the exahust puushes the fuel through the fuel line to the carb. you could do many somthing like that on this is the stock exahust has anough back pressure

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

winter is here maybee i can finish this project now. still need that 80$ pump kit. 80 bucks is hard to come by theese days thats just 80 more twords what i need for my lowrance.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca

years ago lectick co. made water cooled heads for 2 strokes and he never used a pump the hot water would rise forcing the cool water back down into the head. worked great. then they started making water cooled 2 stroke mx'ers. but his motors ran very fast with his head and porting. a really nice guy in a wheel chair, he is missed.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

i got 2cents! hope it helps the flyby... :)

a live well recirculating pump for a bass boat is pretty cheap, runs off 12vdc, and I think I even seen em at kmart or wallyworld. I know they got bilge pumps.

with a restrictor in the line, they should do well enough running total loss off a mc battery, for a lot less than $80

goodlucktaco! :)
rc

KINGLOOIE

Jan 13, 2012
MONTANA

Maybe get ahould of the fastrat motors guy. He is traditionally a Rc Boat builder. Builds an awesome zenohah, someheres in the neiborhood of 7 - 8hp. The man is a wizz with 2 strokes. Prolly forgot more than most of us will learn....:) Larry is his name...can be found on Jim's rc boat dock.com(jrcbd.com). I am sure he'll have an idea for the head.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

There was a long thread here about the Russian engines that pre-dated the HT. Some of them had water-coolers, not sure what if any pump. I guess the Russian ones were made for cold climates, so maybe it would help, esp for racing them in warm weather.

Pertty cool Taco. (no pun intended) Looking forward to seeing how this goes. Could be a great boon for folks in hotter climates too.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

The water will not circulate through osmosis it needs a impeller a ''pump'' of sorts..

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
So, how did it go?
I don't know what happened to this, maybe like a lot of my projects they couldn't make it work.

It's not true that you need a pump. Old Fords used a what they called Thermosiphon. The tank was higher than the motor. Cold water from the radiator flowed up from the bottom of the block. As it got hot it rises and the hot water enters the radiator from the top of the motor to the top of the radiator tank to cool and sink to recirculate back around.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I don't know what happened to this, maybe like a lot of my projects they couldn't make it work.

It's not true that you need a pump. Old Fords used a what they called Thermosiphon. The tank was higher than the motor. Cold water from the radiator flowed up from the bottom of the block. As it got hot it rises and the hot water enters the radiator from the top of the motor to the top of the radiator tank to cool and sink to recirculate back around.
How do you suppose this will fair off with a average Happy Time?:confused:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
How do you suppose this will fair off with a average Happy Time?:confused:
That's a good question. I can tell you that I have been looking at a liquid processor cooler for my computer. It uses the Thermoflow idea., the hot coolant leaves the chip and goes to the top of the radiator the as it cools it sinks then is drawn back to the cooler on the chip. No pump and for a computer cooler it's cheap.

Just plumb the bottom of the rad to the cool side of the head and the hot out to the top of the rad and have the entire system, hoses and all, higher than the motor. That's a main reason the old car radiators were mounted so high. Treatland has a variety of wetheads to choose from, just don't overcompress, 10:1 or there abouts should be fine with the cooling. I'd use a good sized rad to be sure