Lifan engine?

GoldenMotor.com

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
OK my next build going to be a stretch cruiser. What problems will
I run into with a Lifan 125 4 speed manual shift engine. Could a guy
run the 14 tooth front sprocket off the left to a rear hub clamp sprocket. Put in neutral so
to peddle & appease the cops.

I,m new too motorized bikes, so I must be over looking some thing.
I just seems to easy, so help me fellows.

Fly

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I would not trust a clamp on sprocket under Lifan power. You would be on the ragged edge of rim failure.
Personally, I would run a moped hub and as heavy a rim as possible.
A lifan 125 4spd is easily capable of 50-60mph.
Don't get dead.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I ran Pats hub adapter on both my Lifan builds with out issues. Never shifted with all the up/down shifting with the 4sp 125cc. I ran steel rimmed 12ga spoke wheels and never had issues there.
I do agree a moped hub is a nice way to go especially since it will have a brake.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Well I,m thinking 26 inch , maybe 24 inch wheels. Can you get a moped wheel that
size or do I have to just use the hub & find a wheel of some kind & respoke it. Here
where I,m totally lost not being a bike guy.

Fly

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I would not trust a clamp on sprocket under Lifan power. You would be on the ragged edge of rim failure.
Personally, I would run a moped hub and as heavy a rim as possible.
A lifan 125 4spd is easily capable of 50-60mph.
Don't get dead.
I had one of those on a chinese bike I bought on a whim. It was such a lousy thing, the plastic parts would crumble!
The engine, though was fine. It hit a top speed of 61 mph after I changed the rear sprocket.
That's a lot of power to hang on a bicycle. I'd guess at least 11 hp.
With the original (too big) sprocket it would hit about 40-45 and could pull wheelies with the twist of the grip in 1st.
I agree on the moped hub and rim. It's more powerful than most mopeds, soooo..

Last edited:

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Well I,m thinking 26 inch , maybe 24 inch wheels. Can you get a moped wheel that
size or do I have to just use the hub & find a wheel of some kind & respoke it.
You won't find a ready made wheel that size. Moped hubs on heavy rims from Husky or Worksman, with 11g spokes are the way to go. Husky has them in the right size.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
holy the 140cc has got alot of jam. kiss you wheels and tires good bye :)

70cc-90cc is more like it. the 110cc i have seen dont seem nearly as fast as the 140cc. the 140cc drive a small 3 wheeler like.....driving it like you stole it is even close. fleeing from bears or natural disaster is more appropriate to the vids of an atc with the 140cc in it.

later

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
size or do I have to just use the hub & find a wheel of some kind & respoke it. Here
where I,m totally lost not being a bike guy.

Fly
You will need to build the wheel yourself to use a moped hub. But the extra strength and durability are worth it. Custom length spokes and formula to figure what you need are a google away....
Sheldon Brown has great rim lacing how-to's