lessons learned from pets

GoldenMotor.com

Steve M

Nov 27, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Crazy Horse, That picture of Saffire would make a good Avatar? He has that stern grasshopper teacher look. For those to young to know it was from a show called Kungfoo. lol
Great pictures everyone.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Great thread guys. Here is my buddy named Tank. I named him Tank because playing with him is like playing with an army tank. He is one year old and weighs 104 lbs.

I know where you guys are coming from talking about pets passing on. I have had some great dogs but they just don't live long enough. The best dog I have ever had died about five years ago was a female white Pit Bull. It took me a couple of years to get another one and she was killed in a tornado when she was six months old. Another two years I got this one.

Now I need to teach him to ride in my MB trailer. He is afraid of it. But he is still a puppy so maybe when he gets a little older. He thinks my chair is his bed and in this pic he seems to be saying "Do I hafta get up Pop?".

Attachments

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
A few years ago, Annabelle was getting older and I could tell her quality of life was going down hill. I was visiting a friend and told him how my dog was doing. He told me that "getting a pet is the beginning of a tragedy". I told him that yes it is and it's a tragedy that I will go through again and again for all the love and joy they bring me while they are with me.

My current tragedy in progress is a furry, little, feline terrorist who I have successfully trained as an attack cat. He only attacks me but we are working on it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Nunya, wow. That is an incredible thought provoker. "getting a pet is the beginning of a tragedy" Been one of the biggest quandaries of the last 10, 15 yrs for me. Not only pertaining to our 4 leggers. But I digress.

Shelly has been sick last few days. She had pancreatius a while back and is the same symptoms but some new ones that point to some thing else, Dunno. Just rambling an' a bit worried. She is only 7 yrs old. Followed me around this morning wanting some thing that I could not find for her. The guilt of wondering if it was to stop her pain.
Carol works at a vet's and is no problem to get her right in, but he keeps saying wait n' see. Is not a wait and see sort of thing. She is in trouble.

Glad I wrote that, gonna bring her in or bring her some where else. And again, I am glad to know you guys. ("guys" include our female MBAs)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"getting a pet is the beginning of a tragedy"

Makes me think of the old Garth Brooks song, 'The Dance'.

I might have spared myself the pain but look at what I would have missed.

Brew, Boomer and Baxter...the three most perfect friends I've ever had.
Tom

Last edited:

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
"Getting a pet is the beginning of a tragedy." That is a thought provoker indeed, especially in light of my situation. I rescued Cocoa, a liver and white male English Springer Spaniel in July of 2007. He was eight then. I said I know I won't have as much time with him as I would hope, but I will not let him languish in a rescue, waiting to be adopted. He's 11 1/2 now, and he is without a doubt the very best dog I've ever had the pleasure of sharing my life with. He is truly that a once in a lifetime dog you always hope to find, and when his time comes I'll be more than devastated. But it's something I'll accept when it happens, as he has enriched my life beyond description. My goal is to keep him as healthy and happy as possible.
If one isn't enough, I adopted a nine year old liver and white English Springer Spaniel (yes, that is my favourite breed) female this past January. Shawneee will turn ten on Christmas. She is the eptome of a velcro Springer, and if she could get under my shirt to get closer to me she would. I adopted her because I wanted a pal for Cocoa, plus having her might make the blow be a bit less harsh when he passes (provided she outlives him).
These two senior dogs show more than unconditional love. They show a certain gratefulness as well, because of their new lease on life. For me it makes adopting a senior dog less of a "beginning of a tragedy".
I've attached a photo of Cocoa with his favourite Santa (me), and one of Shawnee on the day she came home.

Attachments

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
very nice story killroy

the thing I have learned about owning chihuahua's is to always look down while Im walking, they poop kinda small and it always zero's in on the bottom of my feet. LOL

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Shelly is back up and running! Dunno what it was. But Doc was right, "wait-n-see" worked fine. Seems 12 yrs of school and 20 yrs of doining it... lol. Am just excited. I thought she was really bad off.

I posted this on the http://motorbicycling.com/f36/welder-25137.html thread but should have put it here. (lol, the "welder, dogs, cartoons and bender" thread((so far))

Har, lol GH. Is hysterical when they don't want to touch the ground and seem confused by their own walking. Shelly hates rain, hoses or any thing water related. Will "hold it for a day" rather then go out in the rain. But snow! Wohoo, thats play time. She is a great snow ball target (lightly tossed of course) and will play for hrs. Runnin' barkin' and taunting you to get one near her. Is so much fun. Loves when ya dump a shovel full over her head. All wheel drive and no wheel stop, snork. She, soaking wet with snow and ice attached tries to run in the house on hardwood floors and linoleum. Wipes out at least twice on the way in all excited to chat with Mommy and Mrs. Ma. (Carol and her Mom)

drn2

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yrs back, I went off the deep end and ended up living in an 8X12 trailer. Then the flooded basement of a bar with no roof and finally above a bar in the Catskill MTNs of NY. Was an interesting time. The entire time my best friend and constant companion was an over weight cat named Ethel. I had stolen her from a woman who was with out a doubt the largest, fattest, ugliest, meanest poor excuse and waste of space human being it has ever been my great displeasure to have had to talk to. She was so huge, her left thigh kept me from shifting into 4th gear when I drove her any where. She was also my room-mates girl friend. (before the crazy and living in a box/cellar/bar) He is legally blind and thought dating ugly woman was the way to go. She was so lacking all 3 of her kids were taken by the state in 2 different cases. She kicked this cat across the room in front of me. So I moved on and out. As I looked up the stairs wondering if I had left any thing, Ethel looked down at me. When she first came to live with us, she caterwhalled down the same steps. Calling to the woman who had dropped her off and was never comming back for her. Took weeks for Ethel to come near me. She just hid in corners and behind things. She only came out at night to call down the stairs. Heart breaking cries from a wounded, scarred child in a primal tone.

As I looked up the stairs at eyes wide with the fear of abandonment, "C'mon baby girl" I scooped her up and out the door I went. (one scotch, one bourbon and one beer) She rode with her head on my lap. Only time she rode in a car with out annoying the **** out of me. The girl just don't like car rides. But that day, she just layed there quietly. In the flooded bar basement, our bed was an old army cot. I could only sleep on my side so she slept on my hip. After a few hrs, I would have to roll over for blood flow. She knew the drill and would climb off near my feet and back on my hip when I settled. When we lived in the camper, she slept at my feet. When I woke, I would roll on my back so she could walk up my chest. She would then stick her snout in my open mouth to smell my breath. We would watch the sun rise together. She out side by the pond at the golf course. Me inside. Drinking coffee by candle light.
One night, sitting watching the moon race with far to many beers in me and Ethel sitting next, I look over to say some thing to her. The biggest skunk I have ever seen is nose kissing her. Just walked right up and they did the sniff thing. He was so scary big, I am guessing he didn't have to spray any predators. He dang sure was not bothered by me being there. Dang thing was BIG. They ended up hanging out a lot. When we lived above a bar, (talk about moving up in the world) I was laying on the couch and heard a crumbling noise. Turned off the TV and was a real noise. (UN or not real sounds were not uncommon) A mouse had come out of the wall and was eating from Ethel's food dish. She was sleeping beside me but after turning off the TV and my moving slowly, alarmed and woke her. We notice the mouse together at the same time. She moves slowly towards him. I dunno what to do. Clap and let him run but before I can, the dam thing turns and snifs. She bends down and nose kisses him back! Turned out he is blind and didn't know to run. Sense he didn't run, she didn't know to catch and they eat lunch together for months. Was really cool to watch. Lion and the lamb sort of thing. Funny part was she loved "mousing" Woke up more then once with the rear half of a mouse in my right shoe. Dunno why the rt shoe or rear half but always assumed it was a compliment from her.

All this to say I found an old blog I wrote back then. Just wanted to post it here so I don't lose it again.

Ramblings

The day ended like the last 32. Finished mowing lawns at the golf course. Walked to the store and bought food, beer and tobacco. On the way back to the bar I live above, I stop on the trail next to the water fall and drink 3 beers and smoke 3 cigarettes. Today a chip-monk sat with me for the 3/4 of an hour. He was at first skittish. Then calm. A cat happened past, across the river and eyed us both, the burly ruff neck and the chip monk. The chip monk became concerned again but soon relaxed. The cat wondered off and the chip-monk did as well. Tomorrow I will bring nuts for him (gonna call him "Franciscan", he's already a monk) I chose to believe that pleasant discourse gives God cause to smile more then the best plied prayer. On the way to "my spot by the falls", I was driven past by a man who had beat me out of my car in a business deal. He is a foot taller and a hundred pounds heavier. As our eyes met, there was fear in his. The ego liked it, but that lessens the spirit. Was glad to have met the chip monk. Hope and pray you are all well, as I do every night.

Funny or odd side note. On that blog, I found, word for word the OP of this thread. While down below having a smoke in Carol's ancestral and beautiful home, a mouse ran up to me. Sniffed and ran away. First one I have seen here in 23 yrs. Minus the 6 yrs I spent insane and in the Catskills.

Life is grand.
.flg.

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The last two pets I've had have come to me, I didn't really go looking for them. Annabelle, a big greyhound + catahoula(sp?) mix, was dumped in a park near my house. I was the lucky person that managed to trick her into being caught and from that point on I was her human.

My current pet, Tobias T. Tiger, a.k.a. Tobi the tiger, showed up in my yard two years ago this past February. When I saw him the first time I wondered where his mother and litter mates were, he was that small. He ran and hid from me each time I saw him so I just put a dish on my porch to feed him. My desk is right in front of my front window and I can see my porch real good from my desk. I started to feed him twice a day and kept that up for almost a week and a half. Then one day I skipped his evening feeding and the next morning I made him wait about an hour from when I first saw him on my porch waiting on his morning feeding. When I went out to feed him for the first time he did not run away and hide from me, he did run to the bottom of the porch steps and wait for his food. I put some on his plate and sat down. In one of my porch chairs, right by his plate of food. He sat at the bottom of my porch steps for a minute or so and then came to eat, he did take the long way to his plate of food, keeping the food between me and him the whole time. I let him eat a bite or three and reached my hand towards him. He promptly ran back down the steps and waited there for a minute or so. When he finally came back I let him have another couple bites then moved my hand a little closer. He ran away again, to the bottom of the steps. Well we went through this a few times but once I had moved my hand closer to him I did not move it back. I kept the distance I had gained each time until eventually my hand was right above the food on his plate. He came back and I let him another bite and when I moved towards him again he just surrendered. He went all submissive kitty with me and I scooped him up and took him inside.

He was almost a fully feral kitten when I managed to trick him and catch him. He is a mostly domesticated cat now but he does still have a little bit of that feral cat in him. He likes to play and I am his only playmate. Since he is a cat he plays like a cat. He treats me as if I am his prey. He manages to catch me off guard most of the time but when I am expecting his attack and can react to it before he gets to me, it is soooo funny. It seems as if he is running from something that wants to torture him or something. He also tries to get "payback" if I have to get on to him for something, like getting on my desk, or the kitchen counter. I have learned, over the last two years, that if I have to spank his furry little butt, within the next fifteen minutes he will try to attack me. He doesn't try to get his claws into me with his attacks, he just lets me feel them. As if to say "I could rip you to shreds if I wanted to."

I tell ya, he keeps me on my toes but I would not trade it for anything. This cat loves me and me alone, he likes nothing better than to be with me, to lie with me or just to sit with me as I do other things.. I think he knows he has a much better life now than what he started out with and he really appreciates it. That's good enough for me.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am learning to grow old without complaining from my dog dixie. She has a tough time on the stairs now, but she never whines or complains. She just goes at them slow and determined. That dog has a heart as big as a balloon I swear, she has taught me to never surrender to your body's limits.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Back when I lived in another city just outside of town is a two lane road with a bridge and a small stream. Nothing else.
If your careful a car can be back under the bridge. My friends and I used to party there. One day a friend came to my shop and we decided to ride out there and camp and party. I hooked up my trailer and we stopped for supply's. We were about a mile away when a pickup passed us and by the bridge someone threw an old sack of some kind out and kept driving. The idiots are always throwing trash out. They slowed way down. Thought nothing about it as the truck turned around and passed us on the way back into the city. We got to the bridge and started setting up camp. My buddy was watching something when he said, that bag is moving. Just the wind I said, Na it's moving. We don't know what's inside the bag, let's go check it out. Long story short, It was 5 puppys. Two died, gave two away kept one. Her name is Miracle. She is black, white, brown 25lb bundle of love. She attacks the water from the garden hose without mercy,
can hear my MB from miles away, and thinks my Little Brown dog is her little sister. She is quite a girl :) cvlt1

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
there is a right way and a wrong way to put toilet paper on the roller in the bathroom if you have a cat. my cat spirit made sure to remind me whenever i put it on the wrong way.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Sounds like my old cat "Shredder". Shredder just loved a new roll of toilet paper.
Every once in a while I'd forget to close the bathroom door and pay the price.

Steve.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I can't find it but I think Emerson said; "If you would see how a man treats his family, look to his books" My version is "If you would see a man's heart, look to his pets" Just sayin'

Then again, Hitler's dog greeted him warmly. I think of that every time I am feeling insecure and am comforted by Shelly's warm greeting. Is a paradox for me that I have never been able to reconcile. No matter how loathsome, my dawg likes me. lol

Was thinking about this thread today. Really enjoyed every one's posts. Reminded me of a thing I read yrs back about a park in Africa. They had a bunch of young male elephants, who every night, would go and kill or hurt members of a near by group of rhinos. No one knew how to stop this. Some one came up with the idea to bring in an old Bull Male elephant. The attacks stopped immediately and never happened again. I just thought that was cool. Every one needs a role model and a Dad. Or just a critter to watch an' learn from