Leaky secondary shut off new style nt carb

GoldenMotor.com

augy

Dec 4, 2009
salt lake city
The new style nt has a barrrwl nut that connects the gas line to the carb the two red washers that contain the gas have failed does anyone have thus problem or ideas on how to solve it. I have tried gasket sealer making washer from paper gasket bike innertube rubber but it still drips. I think I am going to get the old style carb, I only need one shut off valve but I'm wondering if I'm going to loose power since I have a 66 skyhawk and I heard the old ones are for 48 s. I do live at a high elevation so Maby a bit smaller wouldn't hurt. Thanx all keep riding

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While having two shut-offs can be handy, I removed the valve components and made a "blank" cover for it with a piece of thickish gasket material (I think I stole the idea from bairdco...).

I did it because the passages in that petcock are tiny and rely on a small rubber bit with four holes in it... It didn't turn out to be the source of my problem after all, but I left it like this for a coupla reasons, one of which is I was too lazy to switch it back lol

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i think you're talking about the "banjo" bolt? the one with the little hole in it that screws the fuel inlet to the carb?

you can replace those red fibre washers with copper or aluminum ones. you should be able to find them at a good auto or hardware store. buy a few, because they deform when you tighten them down (that's how they seal so good) and you might need to replace them if you take them off.

also, are you sure it's leaking at the washers? mine was leaking from the actual plastic petcock. if you wiggled it around, gas would trickle out of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

augy

Dec 4, 2009
salt lake city
bairdco yea it was those washers i need to buy those washers im sure it was them i even bought a dax carb for 14 that is awsome ( the old style nt) it goes maybe 4 miles an hour slower due to the smaller jet letting les air in but there is 7 inches of snow on the ground for now its fine I wish there was a new style carb with the same intake because after i examend the petcock with blowing throu it i found the sweet spot and thats the only fuel shutoff i need. thanx for the input i have a auto maechanic good friend waiting for his bolt guy to get some copper or alluminum crush washers as i type. i still think the nu style could du without that damn banjo/barrel washer shuttoff piece of @#$% its crap. the other improvements are steller Im supprised i havent seen more posts to this like. thanx a bunch piece

oilstain

Jan 10, 2010
Colorado
"mine was leaking from the actual plastic petcock. if you wiggled it around, gas would trickle out of it."

That is the exact problem Im having. how did you solve it?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i took the two little screws that hold the petcock together, removed the petcock and all the stuff inside (round washer that looks like a button, spring washer, whatever else...)

then i just made a diamond shape block-off plate out of some thin aluminum and a gasket and blocked it off.

Barely Awakes photo above should give you an idea....