Leaf-sprung front forks

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Now that my first MB is almost complete I'm in the planning stages of my second build which I hope will be an all out boardtrack style bike. I know most boardtrackers were solid front/rear but I really like front forks with suspension. I've seen the springer front ends on some builds but I prefer the look of leaf sprung front forks a la some of the old Indians, Clevelands and other motorcycles.

Does anyone know if someone makes this style of fork for bicycles? I also thought about converting a springer front end that comes with the coil springs to leaf springs but I wouldn't have the first clue where to get spring steel for the leaf. I talked to a local automotive/machine shop that specializes in coil and leaf springs and even thought of using a leaf from a small utility trailer but even one from the smallest 6'x4' trailer I was able to find would be wayyy too stiff for a MB.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Meow, I used part of a golf cart leaf spring on my Monroe bike and it turned out great and has a couple inches of travel. Also used bicyle rockers on the bottom, see pic.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've also been thinking about this kind of front suspension, more so since I saw your Monroe, Louie. Could you explain in more detail just how you did that (like explaining it to a kid)? I don't weld, but if I had pictures of what I wanted and some dimensions I could hire a local guy to make something up. I'd like to do this for my Worksman in the works and maybe even for a 50 Panther. If you'd be willing to take close up pictures sometime we'll name the spring fork after you... the Louie MCman springer. it would help more of us than you might imagine.
Curtis Fox mentioned to me that he thought a snowmobile leaf spring would work. I'm going to be on the lookout this summer at the landfill.
SB

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I'll second what Silverbear said. BTW, that's a beautiful bike Louie!! And thanks for the golf cart spring tip. And also thanks to Silver for the snowmobile idea. We usually have lots of snowmobiles at the landfill here too. Maybe if I can come across one of those kiddie 50cc snowmobiles at the landfill or find one for sale for parts for cheap and it has leafs the leafs might be just perfect in tension.

Those are nice forks on the Halcyon website but alas if the seller is hard to contact...plus I'm a bit of a cheapskate (LOL) and those are a bit rich for my blood. Not that they're a bad deal compared to any other set of front suspension forks that you'd get at a bike shop. But if I locate the right leafs I bet I can whip my own set for quite a bit less. Half the fun is in the tinkering in my opinion..

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I Used Trailor Leaf Spring, Cut In Half And Mounted To Front End, Purchased At Tractor Supply Liiks Real Nice.
Welcome to the forum! When you get a chance could you post some pictures? So how does that attach to the front tube and is the second fork the same length or shorter than the fork going through the front tube? Then what did you do at the front axle? Enquiring minds want to know!
SB

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
Havent those been in the pipe for a couple of years along with their tanks?

They look like a pretty easy build, just a chop drill and and bolt thing..

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
I made the spring forks using a golf cart spring cut a little longer than half way. The rolled end of the spring works nicely with the rockers from an old bicycle (I can't remember what brand). Unfortunately I feel welding on is the best way, you may be able to make up some kind of brackets to bolt on. Must be cafeful welding because the spring steel is hardened. Check out the Cleveland fork lock in the picture, it's one of those things that got added along the way.
When I started this project I bought myself a welder and started my self welding training. My dad was a welder all his life in a steel mill so I've been around it a lot. My goal on this project as well as all my projects is to do ALL the fabrication myself. That way if it breaks it is either my bad welding or bad engineering. So far I've had neither and my projects are getting better and more sophisticated (see "Peace" project). I can take more pictures if you need or want some, thanks.

Attachments

DocSavage

Jun 9, 2010
Seattle
Check out Rat Rod Bikes. They have a How To section. Check the how to manual index. There is a section with info on forks. See the Hooche's Springer Fork thread. Lots of pictures and a realy good write up.

I'd post a link, but it is against the rules.

Last edited:

elewayne

Mar 27, 2009
Longmont Co.
Just wanted to say great bike. I like several things about it. one, the non Chinese engine.
two, the springer fork. three, the tank. Very nice job.
I've been looking at fabricating some forks like this but I'm still bogged down trying to finish my Lotus 7 project by the end of the summer. maybe after that I'll start looking at manufacturing a fork. I'll post here if I do get to start anything that soon. I may have to move back to Houston first.
Wayne Evans

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
I made the bars and welded on what I think they call a Cushman weld-on throttle assembly (repair kit?). I think they have two different throttles, one that pushes and one that pulls the cable. It is a internal wire kit that you may be able to get from someone who sells Dennis Carpenter Cushman parts. The grips are standard coke bottle bicycle grips with red jewels in them.

Attachments