killercanuck takes the 29er w/shift-kit for a boot

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Got bored, jerry rigged a cam mount and this is the result. Sorry about the wind noise and camera vibes. I'll sturdy up the mount, and find some foam for the mic for when it gets sunny.

This is the quicky mount(which didn't work to well, but at least the camera didn't fall off. [had a zip-tie on the camera strap just in case it did, lol])

Vids:
First run
Second run

Thanks for watching!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Greg,
For my first videos from the bike I tried a neck strap but my chopper is a hardtail and I sit right on top of the rear axle so it's a rough ride. I didn't have any vibration jitters but every crack in the road is transmitted to the camera. I've been experimenting with a foam filled box to hold the camera. You might want to explore that idea.
I used to do still shots from radio controled model airplanes and the foam stopped the jitter from the engine vibration.
Just a suggestion.
Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Cool Tom, thanks for the suggestion. I was so paranoid about the camera falling off, I just hard fit everything, plus had a zip-tie on the camera strap just in case it did fall apart. lol.

First run ^_^ Hopefully better vids to come :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Cool Tom, thanks for the suggestion. I was so paranoid about the camera falling off, I just hard fit everything, plus had a zip-tie on the camera strap just in case it did fall apart. lol.

First run ^_^ Hopefully better vids to come :)
I know what you mean by "just in case". I put the camera strap through a button hole of my shirt, "just in case". That way even if my home-made mount fails the camera won't fall off and hit the ground at 25mph. I'm not sure the Nikon warrantee will cover that kind of abuse.

Tom

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Not bad at all for a first attempt!
It would be nice if I had such nice, flat roads to cruise around on. I live in hill country.
Thank you for sharing!

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Heh heh, the biggest hill around here is the bridge over the river Gearman.

Tom, dude, a chest strap would work good, (hmm, banks idea) but yea need a safety for sanity, zip-ties ftw! For sure, Warrantee's don't cover falling off the bike at 20-40mph, lol. "no, see I was in a convertible, so that's why the card is unreadable"

first thing you do in a crash is eat the sd card, heh heh

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh bluenose... I was liking your vid a lot! and the shifting part!!!

Then Tom's Captain America kinda stole the show. :)
(maybe needed just a little bit higher camera angle...)

I gotta get me a camera and give that a try, soon.
The cam I got now uses dv tapes, and I'd be afraid of shaking them, I think.

What's the best deal on a cheep vid camera?

Best
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not trying to highjack Killer's thread but I'm using a Nikon CoolPix S3300. It was $139. at a camera store so it could probably be bought cheaper. I tried a Canon first but it made videos in a format, MOV, that I was never able to download to my computer. I tried to use a video converter but then I ran into codec (whatever the heck those are) problems. I took the Canon back to Best Buy and went to a Wolf's camera store and got the Nikon. So far it has worked good but I need to find some way to soften the jerkies from rough roads. It makes video in AVI format which is compatible with Windows Movie maker.

What camera are you using, Greg?

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Killer,
You bike sounds great. Took me a few seconds to figure out why you were shifting a China Girl but then I remembered the shift kit. The whole video was exellent.

Steve.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nah...

The Killer is a great fellow!
He wouldn't see it as a hijack.

He always helpful and we're all in this for improvement all around...

lol
These lil' things are so much fun, and so practical for many uses, it would be a shame to be the only one on the block who has one!

...and I been seein' even MORE abt fuel cost climbing... whew!
rc