Kill Switch

GoldenMotor.com

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I have come across with some cops while riding and I am trying to shut the engine off using the kill switch but it does not work. It is supposed to be shutting off the engine when moving? My Kill Switch only works when bike is at a dead stop.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The kill button will shut off the engine weather you are riding it at full speed or at a dead stop!!
If you are riding and push the kill button, you also have to pull the clutch lever or the engine will start right back up when you let off the button.

How did you wire the button?

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
My kill switch is a click on click off switch-when i click it to turn the motor off it stays off until i click it again .....those switches that come with the kit are cheap worthless crap and not to be trusted...it's sickening that when u need to shut that motor down in an emergency situation it may or may not work....i ripped that piece of garbage out and installed a new switch that i took out of an old dvd player, -i also rewired the whole thing with brand new heavier gage wire and it has not failed on me yet!!! as a matter of fact, it works great!!!!! :/

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
I hate the killswitch.. it never worked for me since day one..

Now when i see the cops i just pull the clutch in and push choke level all the way up to kill it..

So if you can't stand ya killswitch 'switch' to my way! :)

dance1

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
More than one way to kill the engine. Either ground out the magneto and get no spark or cut power to the CDI. Thats what I did on the bike I built for my neighbor. Its set up in-line on the blue wire that goes between the magneto and the cdi (Grubee kit). Little on/off switch on the handlebars and thats all ya need. With the switch "on" power goes from the magneto to the CDI, with it off no power gets to the CDI and no spark is made.

The one on his bike is mounted lower but I think it could be mounted right up my the throttle pretty easily. Other switch is for the headlight.

mwsbrewn

Jan 14, 2010
New Hapshire
Please allow me to ask a dumb question. but first the facts. Hello and cheers! Im new. My kill swich fell apart in many peices the second I touched it. cheap plastic and old. FINE! but... theres only "ONE" wire. Am I to assume that this kill switch is using the handle bars to make connections? Ground? I would get it if Ihad two wires... So, i have never had a ride on this bike. Boo. Super cold... Im only grapsing concept.

Can I ride Saturday? Can I touch this BARE wire to handle bars to cut motor? The above idea is damn smart but I just wana ride a few and not go to the shop and delay.... Ideas? Thanks you, Beers all around I think!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you can just tape up the wire so it won't ground to anything, and kill the bike with the clutch at a stop, or choke it to death like posted above while riding. that'll let you ride it, at least.

the kill switch needs to ground to the frame. the bars might kill it the way you said, but i dunno. it's just a simple one-way switch.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Please allow me to ask a dumb question. but first the facts. Hello and cheers! Im new. My kill swich fell apart in many peices the second I touched it. cheap plastic and old. FINE! but... theres only "ONE" wire. Am I to assume that this kill switch is using the handle bars to make connections? Ground? I would get it if Ihad two wires... So, i have never had a ride on this bike. Boo. Super cold... Im only grapsing concept.

Can I ride Saturday? Can I touch this BARE wire to handle bars to cut motor? The above idea is damn smart but I just wana ride a few and not go to the shop and delay.... Ideas? Thanks you, Beers all around I think!
I've yet to see a "one wire" kill switch. Yes, there's only one black insulation coming from the switch but there should be two wires (conductors) inside it. Colors vary from kit to kit the most common being green and yellow. Take a look at the diagram below and wire your engine like it shows. If you use the bike frame instead of the black wire you have to have a good electrical connection between the engine case and the frame with no paint, rust or rubber between the two. If by some chance your kill switch is indeed a single wire device then I have to assume the switch is supposed to be attached to the handlebars with a good electrical connection and in which case, the single wire would be spliced into the blue or white from the magneto.

Attachments

Last edited: