Kawasaki FE120 4-stroke build coming up...

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
can you tell me more specifics about ez motorbikes? it looks like cvt clutches. like snowmobiles. do they sell a kit? or can you buy pieces separately like the driver/driven pulley, jackshaft etc. from what i gleaned from the site, it seemed like you have to talk to a dealer if you want something.
EZ Motorbikes makes kits for motorizing your bike using a 49cc Huasheng 4-stroke engine and the EZM Q-Matic tranny. You can buy the Q-Matic separately if you already have an engine, it uses the Max-Torque centrifugal HD clutch, it is not a CVT. I am a dealer and there is a list of dealers on the EZM website for one nearest you..... http://www.ezmotorbike.com/

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
ok i had to see the lebanon link where the side-covers are off...couldn't see the max torque, i would'nt think it would be anywhere else but on the shaft of the motor. so it's technically one speed? has anyone done a mileage/longevity test? if you want it to do 50 like it said in the video, will you have to peddle to start off,will it bog until you get up to speed?i mean when the shoes in the max torque are new and have plenty of meat on them you could move from a dead stop, but what would 100 stop and go miles do? i know im asking tons o questions, but it was put on the plate. and finally if i wanted to buy the "qmatic trans" how much would that run?

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
The max torque is secondary or on the jackshaft. The chain runs from the Max torque to the wheel. Yes it is one speed.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
ok i had to see the lebanon link where the side-covers are off...couldn't see the max torque, i would'nt think it would be anywhere else but on the shaft of the motor. so it's technically one speed? has anyone done a mileage/longevity test? if you want it to do 50 like it said in the video, will you have to peddle to start off,will it bog until you get up to speed?i mean when the shoes in the max torque are new and have plenty of meat on them you could move from a dead stop, but what would 100 stop and go miles do? i know im asking tons o questions, but it was put on the plate. and finally if i wanted to buy the "qmatic trans" how much would that run?
Maybe contact the seller of this kit.....that's a great price for a great 4-stroke kit!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here are some pics of the new fatter tires, the new rear v-brake, the new HD rear wheel set-up with some different gearing.......

URL=http://img233.imageshack.us/i/img1369p.jpg/]
[/URL]

URL=http://img694.imageshack.us/i/img1371xn.jpg/]
[/URL]

And a Very Happy New Year to you all! dnut

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks and Happy New Year 2U2!
new bootys look good.
Is that a freewheel adapter? How do you like them? My tranny engine brakes and not real thrilled with that

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks and Happy New Year 2U2!
new bootys look good.
Is that a freewheel adapter? How do you like them? My tranny engine brakes and not real thrilled with that
Yes it is, haven't tried it yet on this bike so I can't say. It's raining again so it'll be a couple of days before riding...I'll let you know.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well the 44 tooth with the freewheel sucks......it goes a bazillion mph now and that's not what we wanted. So off comes the 44t and as soon as we get it, on goes the 60 tooth on a brand new built wheel. It would also be nice to get a heavy-duty double legged center kick stand for it (hint, hint Mike). Stay tuned once again....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ya got me looking at Kawi engines Scotto. Great find, ty. Really good prices and they have a really good reputation.

Any issues with the freewheel? I like the thought of that! Just wondering if it is worth the extra expense.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've used a couple different center stands and the ones which are adjustable are heavy duty, double springs, wider stance have angled rubber tips and are worth the extra few bucks. Piston bikes is where I got mine, if I remember right.
SB

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Ya got me looking at Kawi engines Scotto. Great find, ty. Really good prices and they have a really good reputation.

Any issues with the freewheel? I like the thought of that! Just wondering if it is worth the extra expense.
The particular freewheel that's on there at the moment is a POS, combined with the small 44t, even more so. The freewheels that come on the Grubee HD hubs are fine, but the White Ind. HD freewheel is the best. We kinda like no extra freewheel on ths particular build and it's not really needed as the EZM is a freewheeling tranny so to speak. It's nice to have some braking from the compression of the 4-stroke decelerating until the centrifugal does disengage.

So a good freewheel is ok, I'm running them on both of my 4-strokes if that means anything.

I've used a couple different center stands and the ones which are adjustable are heavy duty, double springs, wider stance have angled rubber tips and are worth the extra few bucks. Piston bikes is where I got mine, if I remember right.
And thank you Mr. Silverbear for that info on the adjustable double-legger.....that's about the best looking stand I've seen yet and looks worth every extra penny.....cheers my friend.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Good information Scotto, thanks! White Industries

Again, great build.

Think most folks agree with you about the engine braking. Even with my wide 4 strokes, like to be able to pedal easily. Not a big deal but never seem to take off the engine drive chain when forced to pedal only. I run out of gas a lot, lol.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Got a new rear wheel built and now just waiting for the 60t sprocket. Pat and I mounted the 50t back up to the new wheel temporarily and took it for a spin last night. Man is this thing fun to ride, it is fast, smooth and quiet with the bigger tires lending improved handling. Were gonna put some miles on it tomorrow for sure.....might just wear the helmet cam for some action footage.

Really looking forward to running that 60t, the tandem is a brute with this big engine. Here is some footage of this thing in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hua_N5Iupw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPpphuGFR5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXudZfsWrCE

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Re: Kawasaki FE120 4-stroke build almost finished?

Alright.....finally got the 60 tooth sprocket mounted with a Spooky Tooth "pineapple", a sturdy double leg kickstand and new riser bars for the stoker.

We took it out for some hill testing today and it went very well. The 60t makes the hills with no pedal assist now.....20-25mph up some fairly steep ones and can still hit 40mph on the flats. It's getting ready to take a long journey soon up the California coast. We also plan to race it at the Death Race for something really different. Thanks MotorbikeMike for coming through with the parts....much appreciated!