Just when it was riding nice.. Help please.

GoldenMotor.com

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
So I had the bike running pretty good and I now have about a tank through her. I fired it up yesterday to go for a spin and it is now running extremely rough. Sounds rough, and the the motor will jerk pretty violently. It is like the feeling after getting a flat in a car. It is coming from the motor even at an idle it is real jerky. Feels like it is out of balance or something. From the 5-15mph range it feels like it is going to rip off the frame. Any help on where I should start to trouble shoot?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Check your motor mounts and the cylinderhead nuts. Make sure everything is tight.

If that doesn't do it, check your electrical connections and pull the spark plug and check it's condition.

Last edited:

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'll start with the mounts and the headbolts. I have checked them pretty frequently after each ride and they are pretty good. Have the headbolts torqued down per what i was told here etc.. Hopefully it is just that but I have a feeling it is internal.

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Tightened all the head bolts which helped a little but it still is running rough as if something is out of balance internally. All the mounts are perfect, sprocket is a MM hub and is aligned. What should I check now?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Since the engine is new, unless there is a manufacturing defect like a bad bearing or the crank wasn't pressed correctly and is loosening up.....I would check electrical connections and take the cover off and check the magneto for tightness. Also check your spark plug to see if it's running rich.