Just pick this up today

GoldenMotor.com

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I think you got robbed. . . :D

The yard-sales person didn't know what they were getting rid of I guess. That bike is worth a whole lot more than $25. Nice steal

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Serial numbers ?

I believe it is a Spitfire or a Tornado. Your ad picture says Tornado on the chain guard.

Almost certain its a Tornado now but other people around here are better at this type of stuff.

(click for full size)

:|

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
thanks r00t4rd3d the one i got has a 7e61 s/n which makes oct 1957 in a list i found, but did not give model.

mine has been spray bombed, i can see the two stripes on the fender. but not much more. the crank looks right and the seats and handlebars do too. the cross on the chain guard is in the right spot too.

so thanks again Don P

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
So Don........ were ya wearin a ski mask and holdin a squirtgun pistol when ya bought it . LOL

well, how did ya know. lol he wanted $30 but i offered $20, but he would not go for that.lol
so we split the differences.

you guys are starting to make me feel bad, just starting lol.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi All

here is a pic of some fenders i have had for a long time, i was saving for that special project. i think this is it. what do you all think!

Duck tail half fenders.

Attachments

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Hey don,
How did you get my bike in In.? You can return it, I'll fwd my address soon... LOL!! Great find, keep the PIX coming.

R/Mac

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Keep waitin for the day when I score like that. Great find, she is in great shape. Going to keep an eye on this build. Found a really cool 50's model J.C. Higgins one time but the guy wanted 700.00. Way above what I could pay.dnut

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
kevyleven007
Well............... Put a engine on it of coarse.
do a paint job add disc brakes new fork.. customise, customise, customise.

i love disc brakes, i had drum brakes on a 1965 western flyer. switched to disc, will never go back. 1ll post a pic of it soon. it's raining here now. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! first rain in 6 weeks.

here is the link to my western flyer

http://motorbicycling.com/f41/western-flyer-cruiser-aka-amf-24360.html

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Don,
Nice score. What you have is a straight bar Schwinn. With it spray painted who knows what it was called. That doesn't matter, what matters is the frame is the same as a Panther, Autocycle, Motorbike and a number of other names, color schemes, decals, fake gas tanks, special lights to make them different over a period of a couple decades. You got a bike at the tail end of that frame model. I'm not sure when they stopped making it, but it is a classic. I found one with the same frame (1950) at my local dump a couple of years ago and it remains my best find ever. Call it a Panther, that's what most of us do regardless of the decals or paint scheme it came with... same bike. You did very well. A frame like that on ebay is well over a hundred just for the frame alone. Your seat can easily be redone and is worth redoing. I can point you to a how-to thread if you wish. The rear coaster brake is a good one with large ball bearings inside. I imagine it is the Bendix with a single red band. If there are three red bands it is a two speed kick back hub worth a fair amount even if a pain in the orsche. If it is a Bendix with no band then it is the same diameter hub as a Shimano CB110 and can use a clam shell hub adapter if you wish. The wheels themselves are strong. I have redone several and laced them up with 12 gauge spokes. Nothing like a vintage wheel that came on the bike. You can lace a moped or other drum brake up front and have a wonderful front wheel in keeping with on old motor bicycle for not too much money.
I have both a Worksman newsboy frame and a Panther frame and I like the Panther best. You're going to love this bike.
SB