Junk Box Trike

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Took a trike in on the sale of one of my builds. Never had a trike and really didnt want one, but its what it took to make the deal. Got to looking at a pile of stuff left from one of my rebuilds and the trike, and it just sorta came together. Has a HF 79cc driving through a 10.5:1 reduction which should top in the mid 20s, plenty fast for a trike. The axle sprocket is fixed now, but am thinking of replacing it with a SBP freewheel, adapter, and chain ring. It could be pedaled basically drag free then. Also thinking of running a disc brake on the jackshaft. Am trying to convince my wife she really want to ride this one. If not I will put it up til I cant balance a bike. I guess if gas gets really expensive, it might be a good grocery getter with a trailer.

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That's awesome, can't wait to see what you do to it!

From my experience with the Solex clone on my trailmaster, I don't think you will ever want to approach 25 mph.
My trike handles very touchy and squirrly at the Hongdu's 18 mph top speed. I wouldn't want to let anyone but very experienced persons ride it.
It's wheelstance is so narrow that at these speeds, just a minute twich of the handlebars brings a wheel up with gusto!
At lower speeds, it's a barrel of fun. The freedom from having to balance and countersteer makes it feel like a little truck when you drive it around.
When I want a little more fun and danger, I yank it over on 2 wheels and ride like that a while.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks Wayne. When I first got it I discovered right off it was pretty fun to ride on two wheels especially in circles as long as you keep the right wheel on the ground. I think you are right on the speed, probably best around 15 or so. May be more fun than I imagined!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got some more done on the trike. Now has a disc brake on the jackshaft. Used a pulley I had as the adapter. Found by accident a way to perfectly center it. Planing on turning off the outer half on my lathe to neaten it a bit. Had to weld the caliper mounts to the bearing plate as the chain is tightened by moving the bearings and the caliper has to travel with it. Bearings are heavy duty and will probably out last the bike. Neat thing about this build was running the stock muffler, fuel tank and air filter, so a replacment engine would be a bolt on. Air filter got real iffy around the caliper, but did trim to fit. Looks like the only thing I will have to buy is a belt. Rest is out of/coming from the junk box.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well got this thing up and running. The ratios are good, and the disc brake is killer, almost too good. Having issues with the carb. Been through it a bunch of times and cant find a thing wrong with it. Its just one of those that gonna have to be replaced. Ran ok long enough to get the ole lady on it for a run down the road and shes stoked over it(finally). Might just get a Preadator for it. I have to admit its pretty cool for a trike.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Exactly what I am wanting to build. Going for my Preadator next Tuesday----- 99.99 + tax. Going to watch your build . I already have a Atomic Zombie trike built and may just motorize it. Good work. gphil

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks gphil! This was my first venture into the world of three wheels, well since I was three any way. The fact my wife seems to like it is what I was shooting for, looks like a great errand runner for her. I have found myself on it a good bit too, its pretty much fun! Will try to post some pics tomorrow of the finished build.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Here are a few pics of the completed power unit. Paint is up to my dearest. She has a plan to paint it like a kids trike. Red with cream wheels, with the wheels pinstriped in red. Also wants a tractor seat from TSC, the cool one thats bare metal with all the holes. Sounds pretty neat to me, what ever floats her boat. In the last pic the idler I added is visible over the chain. The chain wanted to relieve itself of duty when the brake was applied hard. The idler keeps it on. The chain only touches it when the power is removed(back down)and/or the brake is appiled, the idler is idle(haha) when under power.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Ben

Another cool build. You the man !

Now that you have a rear wheel brake on the left side, have you considered a freewheel sprocket on the right side axle and locking the wheel hub to the axle? Then turning left at Daytona should work, turning right would be less smooth.

The reason I wondering, my one wheel friction drive trike wanted to torque left with a poor running 49cc 2 stroke.

After a while , knowing you!! You will probably mod the axle tubes for more space in the center for dual disk`s brake`s outside of two freewheel inner sprockets . That would give you the dual drive with ratchting ability for turning, and dual rear brakes.

You have given me motor mount options for the modified Workman Trike into a recumbent we talked about.

Nice build.

Ron

Ron

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks Ron! This bike for whatever reason does not exibit much, if any torque bias. Its possibly due to the ratios being on the high side and the inital power is applied gradually. But even the tremendous braking power on the right wheel only is not very noticable, except on my gravel drive where it will slide if not carefully applied. Maybe an FD being a direct drive is more prone to the effect. I would think especially so on back down as the tire has to spin the low throttle engine pretty fast. The clutch on my bike offers slippage on inital power versus direct power to the wheel on an FD. Just some thoughts. Bottom line is the wife can ride it with out complaint, that was the major objective of this build and life in general!

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
i must say that trike is a nice build. i had a trike, rebuilt it to a two wheel cruiser for now, and i must admit trikes are def a lot of fun to go cruising on. but my trike was a 3 speed and i blew out the internal hub so i took the trike kit off to make a 6 speed cruiser. either way tho i like the way that trike looks. def an awesome looking ride