"Juicer" e-motor-bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Yeah Kim, I remember following your bike build with the RC motor.
Im at present awaiting delivery of a Schwinn Spoiler Chopper...

I'd eventually like to hook it up with a motor! Dont know whether to go the cyclon route and see if I can fit derailleur gears on the back end. or a RC motor?

Regards
Tom

PS... Any new projects in the works Kim? Just finished reading through your Custom E Trike build on freakbikenation.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
PS... Any new projects in the works Kim? Just finished reading through your Custom E Trike build on freakbikenation.

Only on paper at this stage matey, shall be building another cruiser with at least triple the power of the last the frame will be a custom made carbon fiber job this time round, hope to nearly halve the weight... Shall have a build log on Endless Sphere in the non-hub motor section of the forum when it fabrication starts in a few weeks time.

Cyclone is your easiest option rc is the better option but more difficult to "install" you will need to fabricate brackets etc... Recumpence on Endless Sphere is the man to contact for cnc aluminium reduction drives for rc motors if you want the best they come no better than Matts drives IMHO.

Best of luck

Cheers...

KiM

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Very cool harley style concept, so you're using 8 headway batteries for a total of 24v/10ah?
Each "cylinder" is 7 batts as they form a natural hexagon. Twelve of the 14 are in series, so I'm running 36v. I'm looking for spots to tuck another 10 to double my range (12s2p).

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
That is freakin BRILLIANT idea i wish i had tho9ught of that!!! I LOVE V-Twins
but would never entertain the idea of a 'faux' motor but your solution isn't that it is functional
Best of luck with the rest of the build *subscribed*
Thanks, mate! I cited you as an inspiration (by your ES handle) because, so far, you have come up with the tightest build.

I would have taken that sucker out for a spin today, but small shi- stuff is hanging me up.

Happy birthday, America!
.flg.usflg

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Thanks, mate! I cited you as an inspiration (by your ES handle) because, so far, you have come up with the tightest build.
Thanks mate appreciate that... :) Shall be following this build
with much interest if there's anything you think i could be of assistance with don't hesitate
to shoot me a p.m or email

Best of luck..

KiM

EDIT: the extra 10 cells you want to load on...perhaps a dummy oil tank filled with cells? Easy way out would be a dummy fuel tank filled with cells but that
might put the weight up a lil higher than is desirable for good handling?

Last edited:

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
EDIT: the extra 10 cells you want to load on...perhaps a dummy oil tank filled with cells? Easy way out would be a dummy fuel tank filled with cells but that
might put the weight up a lil higher than is desirable for good handling?
Exactly my thought. You can see from my sketch I had them placed over the jackshaft in the oil-tank position. Now that I have the chains on, that space is looking rather tight. The "fuel tank" is pretty much spoken for, housing the lighter components; controller, voltmeter, key-switch and charging plug. I may have to bring some wires out of a "tool-bag" somewhere...

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Please don't take my comment as a criticism. I did not mean to make it sound like I do not like the "Engine". I LOVE it! It just looks cooler than the ouput power would suggest.

I am a high power guy. That is all. I work with extremely high output brushless permanent magnet motors meant for the RC industry.

Matt
It's all good, brother. :)

Since you are a high-powered guy perhaps you can counsel me on possible controllers for the (brushed) etek clone I just picked up. I'm looking for an inexpensive controller/esc that can handle 48v.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Since you are a high-powered guy perhaps you can counsel me on possible controllers for the (brushed) etek clone I just picked up. I'm looking for an inexpensive controller/esc that can handle 48v.
I have used and recommend HIGHLY the Kelly controllers mate, you wont be disappointed. I had a 200amp model 24-50v cost around 150 bucks IIRC. They have a heap of models best browse the website see what suits your budget/needs best.

Heres link to the compact range of controllers

http://www.kellycontroller.com/brushed-controllers-c-22_41.html

Want smaller and cheaper the do mini size also

http://www.kellycontroller.com/mini-brushed-controller-kds12v-c-27.html

KiM

EDIT: Previous posters mention of saddle bags reminded me of this site checkout the range and price!!

Last edited:

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
I run an Alltrax 4834 controller with my Etek motor, 48v and fully programmable
Excellent controllers but aren't they in the 500 dollar price bracket? i think the OP was looking for budget priced controllers IIRC?

Forgot to add the Kelly controllers are also fully programmable via pc. Programming
cables available on Kelly website also

KiM

NewAge

Jun 19, 2009
California
Excellent controllers but aren't they in the 500 dollar price bracket? i think the OP was looking for budget priced controllers IIRC?

Forgot to add the Kelly controllers are also fully programmable via pc. Programming
cables available on Kelly website also

KiM
Oh sorry, my bad, he did say inexpensive, although my Alltrax was $325 new.
I kinda felt that the Alltrax was inexpensive for what you get, and if he intends on running a 48v Headway lithium pack with the Etek motor than the bottleneck would definitely be the 200amp controller, Kelly has controllers rated at 300amps also but I believe the price is about the same as the Alltrax. Both are quality units. But get a controller rated at least 300amps.

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Update on the 36v Juicer. I mocked up the tank in wood first...

Then figured out where to put the components and mounts. Here's the steel version. May have gone overboard with the gloppy welds, but grinding is more fun than filling anyway (whee! sparks!).

Here it is fresh from the flap-disk.

...should have ridden the bugger on the fourth, but a headset, of all things, delayed me two weeks! It seems this frame needed a JIS standard headset. Shasbot!

The good news is that now the Juicer is finally in the road testing stage.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
That really looks neet,,,is the controler in the tank?................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................(and I see a chain idler in the future for the pedal side,maybe a half link)

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
That really looks neet,,,is the controler in the tank?................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................(and I see a chain idler in the future for the pedal side,maybe a half link)
Yeah, controller, voltmeter, keyswitch, and charging plug all in the tank.

Definitely considering an idler/tensioner for one of the larger chains.

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Just road tested it today with the cyclometer. Here are some preliminary numbers;

Top Speed: 36mph
Range: 10mi
Weight: 70lbs

I live in Los Angeles on a hill, so to get some decent numbers I had to throw the bike in the ragtop and go to the bottom of the hill where it's fairly flat. I started near Dodger Stadium and went upstream along the LA River, through Griffith Park, to Forest Lawn where celebrities and lithium batteries end up when they are dead.

Well, the batteries weren't exactly dead, but after nearly ten miles of riding fast without pedaling, they no longer wanted to go 20mph. The volts read 38 or so, but I still had to pedal most of the way back. Still, the bike is very comfortable and I'm pleased with my top speed as I reached it on a slight incline and my tires were a little soft. Hopefully I can get my useful range up to 20mi when I connect the last 10 batts.

Latest mods: Half-link on human drive-chain, derailler-sprocket tensioner on 520 chain, as Corgi predicted.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Absolutely fantastic only one issue i have, not enough close up pics & video! ..seriously brilliant build thus far ... 36mph is more than enough IMHO for bicycle components to endure on regular basis.

KiM

p.s i still have ev grin from 22km hills ride me and mate did this arvo so much fun these lecky bikes