jackshaft kit

GoldenMotor.com

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
FWIW I was reading on bicycletutor.com about chain length and here is what he says. With the chain NOT through the derailer guide sprockets drape the chain over the largest front and rear chain ring. Mark it and add one link set. That is the correct length. don't forget to thread it back over the derailer sprockets before you put it back together (-:

Jim

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
Looking for comments on reliability of internal geared hubs or the Nuvinci continuously variable rear hub. Has anyone been using them with the shift kit? Expensive hubs but will they hold up? I have a guy that I put a skyhawk w/shift kit, CNS carb and SBP expansion chamber on his specialized hard rock. Now he keeps on asking me about the Nuvinci but I no nothing about them as far as how strong and reliable they are.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Your safest bet is to contact Nuvinci and ask them. I have read in some threads that the Sturmy-Archer old style three speed hub doesn't like motors.

Jim

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
No known failures of people using Nuvinci hubs. But here is a very interesting tidbit. We have been thinking of selling Nuvinci hubs for a good while (2 years), but the pricing structure and MOQ don't make it all that economically feasible - that said a few months ago Nuvinci informed us that the hub warranty is void if used with a motor. We found that a bit odd considering they advertise on this page. Not saying they won't hold up - because IMHO, they will!

ParadoX999

Apr 27, 2010
San Francisco
I just ordered a shift kit, but am looking into a internal geared hub thats not a nuvinci. Can you recommend a decent one that can handle a motor? I also prefer it to have a coaster brake.

Thanks!

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
The one I have been looking at for myself is a Sturney-Archer SX-RK3. It is an extra wide hub for my new XYZ chopper build with a 24 X 4.25 rear tire that I have been wanting to do. The hold up has been deciding on a hub that will work with the wide tire that has gears (got to have gears!) That and I want to try the motor the guys at Pirate cycles have been working on. Sorry Pablo, but the jackshaft on this bike will be a custom build.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Looking for comments on reliability of internal geared hubs or the Nuvinci continuously variable rear hub. Has anyone been using them with the shift kit? Expensive hubs but will they hold up? I have a guy that I put a skyhawk w/shift kit, CNS carb and SBP expansion chamber on his specialized hard rock. Now he keeps on asking me about the Nuvinci but I no nothing about them as far as how strong and reliable they are.
Coil spring test video - Page 3 - Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
This kit is definately my next investment for the bike,... I've watched videos of the kit doing it's thing and I'm really liking it !! the price is very reasonable as with any other parts for these,.. I mean,... I ve spent over a grand on the transmission in my Mustang {car,see sig},...

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Perhaps I have already posted in this thread but I just wanted to update everyone that I now have well over 2000 miles on my Schwinn build with the SBP shifter kit and those are all balls to the wall miles. No problems at all since week one, when Tyreslider and I replaced the bearing retainer collars inboard of the support plates with a steel dowel spacer to prevent movement after I noticed some bearing migration. The kit was and remains very solid, performs exactly as advertized, and I can't say enough about the customer service I received from Jim and Pablo. Jim actually came down to my shop and helped (a lot!) with assembly and installation of the kit.

Thanks to SBP for developing a very important and enjoyable upgrade for our motor bikes.

dgray56

Nov 18, 2010
Longwood, FL.
My machine is an 80cc (actual displacement) ported, pollished 2 cycle w an jetted and tuned stock carb mounted to an *improved* chromed/polished intake tube w an 80cc intake expansion chamber tapped in, modified stock exhaust with *upgraded* ignition wire and plug direct drive into a rear wheel 32 tooth sprocket installed into a Magna Glacier Point 26" mountain bike (yes Walmart $35 special) w Bell high end tires and tubes. I routinely run over 45mph (GPS verified to 52 MPH straight and level within 1/8 mi) w my standard single gear direct drive. I have over 2000 rough duty miles on this machine with no problems or noticable wear, period. I am considering my next modification using the SBP jack shaft and my own custom built RAM air w an SBP tuned exhaust chamber. I'm wondering if this combination might be too much output force for the Shimano Derailure and/or the jack shaft kit and/or jack shaft output into a *bicycle* drive line. I'm probably going to try it anyway but I was wondering what y'all think about this much power being handled by a $35 Walmart peddle power drive line...comments? Thank you.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Would like to see a pic of your bike

My machine is an 80cc (actual displacement) ported, pollished 2 cycle w an jetted and tuned stock carb mounted to an *improved* chromed/polished intake tube w an 80cc intake expansion chamber tapped in, modified stock exhaust with *upgraded* ignition wire and plug direct drive into a rear wheel 32 tooth sprocket installed into a Magna Glacier Point 26" mountain bike (yes Walmart $35 special) w Bell high end tires and tubes. I routinely run over 45mph (GPS verified to 52 MPH straight and level within 1/8 mi) w my standard single gear direct drive. I have over 2000 rough duty miles on this machine with no problems or noticable wear, period. I am considering my next modification using the SBP jack shaft and my own custom built RAM air w an SBP tuned exhaust chamber. I'm wondering if this combination might be too much output force for the Shimano Derailure and/or the jack shaft kit and/or jack shaft output into a *bicycle* drive line. I'm probably going to try it anyway but I was wondering what y'all think about this much power being handled by a $35 Walmart peddle power drive line...comments? Thank you.