Issue on gas powered motorized bicycles was in the FL Freedom Newspaper

GoldenMotor.com

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I read in the newspaper about the sherrif and FHP will continue to give tickets on people riding motorized bicycles in Okaloosa County. Thats where Jeff Arnett lives. He's putting up a good fight. The sheriff and FHP hate the very existence of motorized bicycles. They refuse to accept them on public roads. Jeff, YOUR AMAZING! I'm with u on this. We are just TRYING to be part of society and law enforcement doesn't agree. My court date for arraignment is friday.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Thanks! They are putting up one helluva fight against us! We can use all the help we can get! I'm so amazed at how they dislike gas powered motorized bicycles. Law enforcement and the FHP are hiding behind some law that says: mounting a gas motor on a bicycle makes it a motor vehicle. Thats not what the definition of a motor vehicle says. I have looked far and wide for the law that says what they say and haven't found it. I think they just don't want them around cuz drunks will ride them and get killed or young kids will get them and start riding them. All they have to do is arrest the drunkards, and have a minimum age limit on them. 18 and up would be fine. I use a 66cc engine on my bicycle and i dont go over 20. I have it set go barely over 15 cuz i know speedometers tend to differ in speeds anywhere between 5-10mph.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I think that county sheriff and the state police barracks in that area are the major problem. My county sheriffs, city police and the locale state police barracks have all seen me numerous times and say nothing. It wouldn't surprise me if the county sheriff and the locale state police chief are friends or maybe related.

Terry

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Its the main headline this mornin'. Again....
Title: Gas powered motorized bikes must be registered

That title is so rediculous! Now Panama City PD is gonna "enforce a certain statute" that doesn't apply. They say all vehicles on the road is legal. The LEO's are rediculous. Once i win my case, next step is going o the state with Arnet and Paula to get this law changed. 3 weeks ago, the Panama City PD said they didn't have a problem with these. Now they do? They are just going along with all the others. Thats all. They don't even know the law and are just accepting what other pd's are sayin'! Thats rediculous! They should be fired for not doin' their job and upholding the law. If their is controversy they should just accept it and just citation people that are drivin' reckless or endangerin' other people, or breakin' all the other laws of the road.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
The woman that wrote that article isn't interested in the whole story apparently. I contacted her and sent her an email I have from FHP. She then stated that she thought Paula Paxton was riding an electric bicycle. I contacted Jeff Arnett about that because he sold her the bike. Jeff stated that she was riding the gas powered bike he sold her. I then sent that to the newspaper woman. All she would say was that is interesting and different people interpret laws differently. So she isn't even going to check any further. What a crock!

Terry

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The woman that wrote that article isn't interested in the whole story apparently. So she isn't even going to check any further. What a crock!
Terry
Sounds like typical News Media to me.
Did you actually think that she would investigate the occurrence and report the actual, whole truth?

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Sounds like typical News Media to me.
Did you actually think that she would investigate the occurrence and report the actual, whole truth?
Not really but I was hoping she would. It could have made an interesting story with Paxton being pulled over many times after that ticket was given. But no more tickets. Sounds like harassment to me.

Terry

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
My arraignment was last thursday. I got a public defender that was amazed when i told him everything about our bike and the trouble we've been having over the contrivoursy over over these motorized bicycles. He's going to fight to win, and get it dismissed hopefully with a no info case so i can keep ridin'. My next court date is October 2nd at the public defenders office.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My arraignment was last thursday. I got a public defender that was amazed when i told him everything about our bike and the trouble we've been having over the contrivoursy over over these motorized bicycles. He's going to fight to win, and get it dismissed hopefully with a no info case so i can keep ridin'. My next court date is October 2nd at the public defenders office.
James I salute you. You will win.

I'll tell you whats going to happen. You can tell me if I'm wrong.

We already know how the arraignment went. Next when you go to trial, the state will either ask to dismiss the ticket, or a trick they try alot is to ask the judge to reset the trial on a different date, which the judge will probably grant the request, but if you ask the same thing he'll say no to you. Their hope is you won't show up for the trial if they make you come back another time. When you finally get to the trial, the state will move to dismiss the charge, with no reason given.

You'll never get a chance to actually win in a trial because the prosocutor knows he might very well lose, and set precedent for the whole state. They won't allow that to happen, because it's better for them to keep the status quo.

Soon after that police all over the state will stop pulling people over for riding a MB from fear of lawsuits for stopping people without just cause.

buhz

Mar 16, 2011
clearwater fl.
.flg.after arraignment is pre-trial then trial,I know I have been through this since april,except I had 2 pre-trials,they were hoping I would hang myself. momma did not raise a stoop pigeon. oct 10 is trial will let you know what happened.RIDE SAFE Bob B buhz

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
James I salute you. You will win.

I'll tell you whats going to happen. You can tell me if I'm wrong.

We already know how the arraignment went. Next when you go to trial, the state will either ask to dismiss the ticket, or a trick they try alot is to ask the judge to reset the trial on a different date, which the judge will probably grant the request, but if you ask the same thing he'll say no to you. Their hope is you won't show up for the trial if they make you come back another time. When you finally get to the trial, the state will move to dismiss the charge, with no reason given.

You'll never get a chance to actually win in a trial because the prosocutor knows he might very well lose, and set precedent for the whole state. They won't allow that to happen, because it's better for them to keep the status quo.

Soon after that police all over the state will stop pulling people over for riding a MB from fear of lawsuits for stopping people without just cause.
It's the no tag ticket that might be the problem.

Mopeds and trailers have to have a tag to be legal on the road.

Jeff's claim is they are mopeds so you don't need a dl. That does not mean you don't need a tag.

No tag on a moped is a big ticket.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It's the no tag ticket that might be the problem.

Mopeds and trailers have to have a tag to be legal on the road.

Jeff's claim is they are mopeds so you don't need a dl. That does not mean you don't need a tag.

No tag on a moped is a big ticket.
I think James, and Paula Paxton both got ticketed for no drivers license.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Right ? The no tag is a $1000 fine. That is the big ticket ?

And I don't think they had tags. They got off easy ? :)
It's probably not going to make any difference. The same reason they don't need a license, applys to registration too.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I was just looking at Paula's ticket. It was only for no drivers license. The case was thrown out because"...This vehicle does not meet the legal requirement of a motor vehicle that would require her to have a valid Florida Drivers License..."

I might be wrong but is it that everyone that has been sited was because of not having a valid drivers license?

Terry