Internet access in the shop/garage

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Been wanting internet in the shop for a while. Tried an "air card" from Verizon. Really bad. disconnects every 3 minutes and usually just after you type 3 paragraphs and only know after you hit "post" Is better then nothing for out and about but slower then dial-up.

So was gonna get my ISP to wire up to down there and just pay the extra. After thinking about it, thought a wireless router. I bought one that has Ethernet so I can hard wire it if it won't transceive threw the house.

This is the router due to arrive tomorrow; Amazon.com: E2000 Advanced Dual-Band Wireless-N Router *Refurbished*: Electronics

Any sage advice from you networking gurus?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
I'm surely no guru when it comes to computers/networking but Char and I use a router. I'm plugged into it directly and my system in in the basement. She's wireless and her office is on the second floor or our house. My system seems to be just a little faster than hers but that might be the difference in our computers. Hers is a four year old Dell and mine is three years old and a built up system built by a friend. We're about the same in processor speed but I have lots more memory than she does.
Just my worthless bit of input. In short, the wireless system seems to work for us being transmitted through two floors.
Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I run a similar setup. My PC is in the garage, wired/wireless router in the house on the other side of the garage "firewall".

Just make sure you set up a password right away so that your wireless is secure. Reviews aren't stellar on the router you're getting, but it's notable for being easy for novices to set up. Just make sure you do - many people make the mistake of not securing their wireless signal.

Here's the homepage for your router in case you need it:
Linksys E2000

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks guys, great information. My main worry was multiple walls. Is why I went with this router. Could be hard wired.

Came home and the man dressed in brown had visited! Setting it up took all of 7 minutes. Pretty much pluged it in and clicked "next" a few times. PC next to router and hard wired seems to be faster but that might be in my head. The mini laptop I use in the shop is waaaay faster then on the air card. Almost as fast as when running directly off the modem. That shocked me.

Then the big test. Walked below. Worked in the living room. Awesome. Then the main goal of it, out in the shop/garage. Flawless! Fast an' fine. Best $55 bucks I ever spent on tech stuff.

This will greatly enhance my super powers!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good. Now you have no excuse for ever missing a new post/spam/political arguments/trash talk/profanity/...in fact the other mods and I can finally take a break and let you do all the work :)
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
wait, what? lol

(Used to sail with this very old and wise man. Capt. told him to do some thing or other. He replied; "When I said I wanted a job, I didn't say nutton' 'bout no work" Cracked me up. This man fought Joe Louis and lived threw many torpedo attacks. Really neat guy to hang out with. One of those people who always had a come back or joke.)

Now I can ramble from any room in the house and yard.

nanananaa

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I am glad to here that you have net out in the shop a garage now. The wirless N router is good for about 1000' with out walls and if there are many walls then get reduced to about 300' to 500' or shorter depensent on construction. 2door is right about locking the wifi signal right away if you havent already. Make your own pasword and put it somewhere easy to find or make it one that uoy can remember so if any visits and needs to connect you can tell them the password if you want and they are good to go. Sorry I was late to post on this one or I would have told you sooner that it was going to work.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Toxic!

I am really amazed that it works so well.

Just changed password from the given' one.

Really do appreciate you guys taking the time to advise.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
Hey Dan, did you mean you set a new router password? Your wireless signal itself should have a password too, but you have to actually set it. By default it won't have one, and anyone who can pick up your signal would be able to use your wireless. Securing a wireless router means doing both!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dan

Be careful about any advice that comes from some in Co. !! Payback, you know who you are!! Ha ha .

Dan my birthday is this month, I don`t have a comet drive!! Hint hint.

Ron

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man Ron. That 25th bday is a biggie!

Happy soon to be Birthday, and may the sun shine on a thousand more!

Them battered fish need a home.
(Ron runs a home for wayward and battered fish. Just that kinda guy)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This thing is just amazing me still. Sitting here and watched some youtube vids posted.
Did not expect it could do streaming vid.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Ale

i use yahoo messinger pc phone for 2 cents a min prepay with my desktop pc. I think they charge 2 cent for call connection also. It was 1 cent a min in the beginning.

Planning on going wireless with a `samsung driod charge` smartphone and tether it to my desktop. Hoping my pc phone will work. Have been wondering about `phone jack`, like $20. Per yr?? Would it work wireless??

Thanks for any info.

Ron

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
wow ale. That is some serious bandwidth.

How is the magicjack? It has terrible reviews online
I've had mine since November '09, on my second year. Sure it aint perfect, but it makes a fine phone for $20 a year. The unlimited long distance sold me - I have friends all over the US. The 'Jack even works fair on my year 2000 laptop on it's wireless card, and that laptop is sloww. It won't work well on satellite net, but if you have DSL or cable it works pretty well. It's best with a dual-core CPU or better and wired net, but an old spare PC on wired net makes a great phone PC.

Ale

i use yahoo messinger pc phone for 2 cents a min prepay with my desktop pc. I think they charge 2 cent for call connection also. It was 1 cent a min in the beginning.

Planning on going wireless with a `samsung driod charge` smartphone and tether it to my desktop. Hoping my pc phone will work. Have been wondering about `phone jack`, like $20. Per yr?? Would it work wireless??

Thanks for any info.

Ron
I think the Messenger phone is a ripoff. Voice over IP should not cost someone anything to actually use. See: Skype. VOIP uses less bandwidth than surfing the net. MagicJack costs what it does per year because you're paying for a real phone number. You buy the unit, register it online, pick your area code an first 3 digits, and the last 4 are randomly assigned. You can pay $10 extra per year and pick your last 4 if you like. Regardless, it works like a regular phone and comes with caller ID, call waiting, and voicemail. Of course, you have to have internet, and you have to be connected to it to use the phone.

As for your Droid, you have to be careful with tethering. That uses the 3G network and there are serious data caps on that thing - especially if you go over some predetermined amount. Surfing the net stacks up data quick, and even with an "unlimited plan", they will cap you if you use the net a lot.

I don't have a cell phone atm, myself. I have a MetroPCS phone that I get activated for $40 a month when I need a celly for a bit, but other than that I use my 'Jack for all my calls. It's really worth it, IMO. It's not perfect, but you'll definitely get your money's worth out of it in a year.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Motor-etc

will check it, but most likely not in my area. Changed my mind on the smartphone for now.

Would like just cheap pc internet for now, would like wireless. Tired of paying 80 + bucks a mo. Going to order a majic jack today. Talk to a girl friend a lot, 1200 mile`s away!

The tethering ban is being challenged as unconstitional. Restricting use of a service. It also violates their fcc license aggreement!! I saved the link in my fav`s if anybody can`t find it.

Ron