Inner tube question

GoldenMotor.com

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
OK, tire size

2.75-4.05 BAR (what ever that means)

The beach is calling my name… here.
https://www.earthcam.com/usa/michigan/stjoseph/lakemichigan/?cam=lakemichiganbeach
Last time I was in that area was some 40 odd years ago. Starting near my hometown in Northern California I was traveling from race to race as a low budget mechanic for a Can-Am rider with the AMA Pro Motocross series.

After Colorado the next race was at the Red Bud Track in Buchanan so we stayed at Warren Dunes State Park. You see if we finished in the top 20 at the previous race we had money for hotels otherwise it was the KOA or sleep in the van.

I still have photos somewhere of the bike torn down to the frame and engine cases, sitting on the picnic table I used as a work stand to prep the bike for the race.

Other memories were the fire flies at night and all the questions from the locals. Since we were from California they all wanted to know if we saw stars out there, (meaning movie stars). We’d tell them sure all the time, in fact if you look up in the sky tonight you’ll see the same ones we see! ha,ha.

I also remember we were in the water at the beach when a siren went off. That was followed by a life guard who was warning everyone the waves were coming in, creating a dangerous undertow and everyone needed to get out of the water now! We’re looking at these little 3 foot waves and being from California we had a hard time with that one. It wasn’t until later we learned there was a nuclear power plant just up the way and when they dumped their cooling water into the lake they would sound the alarm….. Nice.

Anyway enjoy the beach and good luck with your search for a tube.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
Oh it was gorgeous out there. Water temp is always a bit of a mystery. I have a few lake temp sites bookmarked but they have been known to be WAY off. "Lake surface temp" yea, WATER not the air at the surface. Huge difference. Today they got it right, close to 70f. Delicious.
But weather said storms by around 7 and when huge clouds started building out over the lake I left, gave myself time to grill up some food and get in. BUT…. ha. Weather guy must have looked out the window. Storms now predicted after midnight. Blue sky all around, still hot as blazes. Wish I'd have stayed out longer.
Oh well… season is just starting.

Too hot to do anything far from a fan but tomorrow it cools some. Hoping to reassemble my bike. Just gonna use my old tube. Still want to find a replacement since now I have a clue how tough this is to find.
Still having issues with the motor. Darn thing will not start, at least not easy. Took the transmission apart, it's fine. Gave up on cleaning the carb, just bought a new one so that can't be it. MIGHT try a hotter spark plug. I don't have a darn socket that fits it though. Mechanic across the road does, I really need to find out the size and go pick one up. And if that doesn't do it, I don't know. I may just have a lemon here. Bought a full kit from thatsdax HUGE mistake. Except for the motor itself I've already replaced just about every part.

Been thinking of building a 2 stroke bike from scratch. Now that I'm a bike mechanic pro. (Lol… yea right.)

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
HEY GUYS. Get this. I put my old tube and thorn strip together in my brand spanking new tire, give it just a little air, make sure nothing is twisted yada yada…. go to fill it up to full pressure? HA. NOPE! The TIRE is bad. Right along the bead of the tire is nice LONG split. Tire on the inside along the bead is frayed. WTH?
Now that sure could have accounted for the wobble I felt before the tube blew AND for the tube blowing in the first place. Big long split. Piece of crap tire.

Boy never trust a bike shop huh? I ASKED them to move my thorn strip to the new wheel. I ASKED them for a thick heavy duty tube, AND for a tire as good as my old one. They got all of it wrong. Now I have to wonder how good the bearings are that precipitated this whole ordeal.
Sure never going back there again. I even told the owner I have a 12 speed I haven't ridden in decades and might consider having them rebuild it.
Not anymore. **** no! If I do that I'll do it all myself.

Also… the size doesn't quite match with what I had.
My old tire (and I'm about to start hunting, see if I can find the same.) Is called Serfas Gators Survivor
26: x 2.0

What they sold me is 26"x 2.135 And I am not sure exactly what that second number is, after the X but I have never had a tire so tight and hard to get on and off as this thing. This is not my first time switching tubes, tires etc. Been fixing my own flats since I was 6. THIS ONE is a pain.
I wonder now if the tire isn't even the right size for the new rim.
Rim seems to be the same dimensions as my old one…. (I will double check that in the morning, already kinda dark out there.)

Miffed!!!!! I wish they would just say we don't have that. Be honest. I could find it myself. Not sell me crap.
Artards!

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
Yuppers…. they are still around. Got one on ebay I wrote to the seller. (Always a good idea.) HATE amazon. Even though it's cheaper there.
Either way I'll have one ordered tomorrow. Thanks.

Remember the TV commercial where the old lady tosses her tire through the window? Don't like it we'll take it back? My neighbor suggested I do that with my bad tire. I told him I doubt my bicycle tire would have the same impact. lol.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
2.135 is the width. If it will fit in the drop outs and the tire can also grab the rim with the bead OK, that is the question. There could be specs that mention width of something or whatever of the manufacturer of the rim to list range of tire width that could tell if maybe OK to use. Also maybe some other tire specs to see if compatible.

I am using 1.95 which is wider than the smaller width 1.75 that I could use. When I bought a new rim with heavier gauge spokes, 12 instead of 14 so my belt drive sheave could be used, I checked and they had it listed to accept the 1.95 width was included in the specs.

The tubes also have a range of size tire that they can inflate. If a tube is used that does not allow for a wider tire width it possibly can cause a blow out even if the tire was OK to start with. Also if that happened, then subsequently the otherwise good tire that has the blow out could have the bead damaged due to the blow out.

Even if not immediately at moment of blow out, could the bead be damaged, the time it takes if the bike was rolling at the time, means that tire gets mangled by a rim under the weight of bike and rider.

The last thing mentioned is what happened I suspect to me, but only with a 3 or 4 year old tire after a slow leak when the tube cracked after be used for long heavy use and I did not come to a stop quickly and get the tire UN-weighted to protect the bead.

Anyway that sucks if the shop thinks there should be no compensation for if the reason is that it was how it was ridden.

I was having a bit of difficulty with the synthetic bead on the fold up tire to get it to stay in the rim before I inflated it, but when I got it to stay I rode it and it worked great. You can't take a wire bead tire and bend it much before I have to say I would not use it.

Also making sure the tube is not got a fold in it when it gets inflated. I install the tube with partial inflation and with pure talc that I dust the tube and tire with. I inflate with low pressure and then bounce the tire and cup my hands around the beed. Then deflate mostly and then inflate to full pressure to help keep best uniformity of tube in the tire without fold of the tube you can't see developing.

Check to see if the rim is damaged. I know I bounce my wheels over some rough stuff and I even took a rock as a make shift hammer along with some cardboard to see if I might make the rim take a better shape than it was in one particular spot. Truing the wheel I do know is needed and probably some spokes changed out as well. Some have dents in the spokes from abuse. That I could not do anthing about on the trail. I carry only so much in the backpack.

https://www.kmart.com/schwinn-26inc...VA7nACh2ONQ-CEAQYAiABEgK0SvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The above tire I paid 19.99 but if you buy online and pickup in store it is 2.00 less at 17.99. Anyway I have to remember that as I have a mobile phone that access the internet. This is a Shwinn Knobby Tire and so far I am sold. Next time out going far I can carry spare folded in the backpack. Just wish I had both front and rear same rim size. Front is 24 inch, possibly due to shocks on the fork, while rear tire is 26 inch.

MT

Last year rode from lower altitude up to some lightly dusted snow on side of dirt road.

https://motorbicycling.com/attachments/1117171601a_film1-jpg.96720/

Last edited:

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
GOOD tires and GOOD tubes are the way to go. And I'm convinced now, bike shops will sell you what they have. NOT always what you need or even specifically ask for.

Here... Placed my order today. Same exact tire I have worn out from mileage twice now. Never once had any issues. Fill them in spring and that's it for the year. HIGHLY recommended. Yes much pricier than your schwinn... but next time you start experiencing issues, consider it.
And you won't need to haul a spare tire around.
Best price I found was here.
https://www.boibike.com/product/ser...MIta6Uqsvi2wIVEEsNCh139Qj0EAkYBSABEgJboPD_BwE

note... this one has different tread patterns for front and rear... and the rear one needs to go on in the right direction. Guessing the arrow shape treads help push water or mud out of the way. I ride on nothing but two lane country roads and these do hum on pavement, but if need be I may have to go off the shoulder. Or sometimes mud and sand, grit... you name it is on the road itself. Hence the off road tire.
Need grippin not slippin.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
I don't know about that slime stuff. Heard it also plugs your valve so if you WANT to let the air out, how? Also it's good for "two years." THEN what? Does it solidify when the bike sits in the garage all winter?
naaaa. I've been riding a bike for a whole lot of decades and never needed slime inside the tubes. Just good thick tubes and good tires. And a patch kit and small hand pump just in case.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I don't know about that slime stuff. Heard it also plugs your valve so if you WANT to let the air out, how? Also it's good for "two years." THEN what? Does it solidify when the bike sits in the garage all winter?
naaaa. I've been riding a bike for a whole lot of decades and never needed slime inside the tubes. Just good thick tubes and good tires. And a patch kit and small hand pump just in case.
Niagaracycle.com has lots of choices in plain thick tubes. Good luck in your search!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I never had a flat in 6 years riding the bike. I changed the tire and tube about 4 years ago. Some things even if not worn out by not replacing soon enough for maintenance can have a catastrophic failure by just riding and having the unexpected. Maybe a bob cat bites the tire;)

But seriously I am out far enough away that getting a PLB to have relay by satellite for rescue is equipment that I would be looking at buying. Then if it is water proof it can also go on the water too. Other sports that could have better outcome should VHF Radio not be heard in dire straits.