Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Steve, you're going to have an awesome machine. There will need to be a video. It took me a bit over five years to get around to finally posting the video of my Tempus puttering about (which my daughter Liesl had quite a bit of fun with, acting as my videographer). After seeing the work going into this trike, I don't think the rest of us will let you wait that long.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Allen Wrench,

Thank you very much. I do have a video camera and yes as soon as I can get it back on the ground, it's sitting on a couple of saw horses at the moment, I'll take a video of it and put it on You Tube.

My health only allows a two or three hours of work a day if at all but I'm pushing to get it done. I may well be the " How long did the bike take to build?" record holder on the forum.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Back at it today. Typical cold and wet fall weather the past week and that drives the arthritis into a frenzy of activity.

The early Indians had a very small oil tank in front of the gas tank and I'm just finishing it up. Barley noticeable unless it's not there since it held a little over a pint of oil. The later camel back tanks had the oil tank mounted between the fender and the seat stay. It was a vertical round cylinder and started in 1907 or 1908.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
At last there is success with the oil tank. Only took three tries, lots of web photo checking and hours of creative staring to get it right. Now it's time to make a form for the front and bottom tank panels and put in the filler and gas outlet.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was wrong once again. While I was making a better pattern to show how I went about getting the oil tank shape I realized that that there was room for improvement but I believe oil tank #4 is correct. Could maybe just possibly be that their a lot of fun to make.

I'm pretty sure this is the last one. Maybe. I hope.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here are the first photos of how I built the camel back gas tank. Photobucket insists on reversing the order that the photos were taken so the last ones are first. I added information on the bottoms of the photos.

I'll repeat it here. I used a piece of poster board that I bought at the Dollar Store. It's 19" long and 8" wide and it's marked off in 1" squares. I haven't decided just how to list the measurement yet but I'll add them tomorrow.

I measured from the right to the left on the grid. You'll need a ruler that is marked in 16th's of an inch. I used an adjustable square. Measure up from the bottom on each line of the grid. Just draw a small pencil line across the line on the grid like you were crossing a t. When your finished mark each intersecting line with a Sharpie. I used a red one to make it stand out in the photos.

The Sharpie mark is where you need to drive a nail in. Mine are 2-1/2" long and they need to be set into a piece of plywood or MDF or some suitable wood so they can't move. Make sure they are straight.

I use an old metal yard stick to bend around the nails. Use double nails at each end to hold what ever you used to bend around the nails in place. Make sure the piece bent around the nails is in full contact with them. Run a pencil in between the nails along the bent piece and this will give you the shape of the tank. You may need some nails to hold whatever you bending around the nails up against them.

You will see a straight line with no nails. This is the part that goes up against the seat stay. You just need to draw the line to join the top and bottom of the tank. This angle was made for my bike frame and the angle on your seat stay may be different. The bottom line for the tank should stay the same and you will need to shorten or lengthen the top tank line to match your bike frame.

I'll post the information for the oil tank soon in case you decide to add one.

If you see something I've missed or done wrong or if you have a question please let me know here or PM me by clicking on my name and choose the Personal Message prompt I'll get back to you as soon as I can but it will be quickly.

Thanks for staying with this build. It's been a long ride.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab228/speedydick/Indian Tri-car Build/DSC_0013_zpsfzsurp73.jpg

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tank looks super, Steve. You sure have more patience than I have. Did some looking back through other photos and had to laugh when you talked about fifteen tries on the throttle cable hookup. Nice spot for a carburetor on that Jacobsen engine, eh?
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It's looking great. You know, Steve, the last time I read about vehicle manufacturers caring as much about function, fit, and finish as you do, the cars I was reading about cost a fortune, even in the Depression, and had their coachwork built to order elsewhere. Yours is a lost art. And it really is art you're making. Don't lower your standards. Keep blowing our minds. We like it.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank Silverbear. You would have thought that the engineers when they were designing the motor would have stopped and given some thought about some old guy wanting to put the motor in a bicycle and making it look like an Indian motorcycle and put the carb in a better spot wouldn't you.

Just no consideration for the elderly these days. A sign of the times.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you A.W.

No standards will be lowered as much as I'd like to at times. When I was refinishing furniture I started with a man who quickly taught me that your very best was acceptable but not great and you should always strive to do better. I have carried that with me since I was 14 and now after 59 years it doesn't look like I can get away from it.

New gas and oil tank are nearly done and then it's on the the finishing touches.

Steve.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Nicely said, Steve. I think that commitment to doing the best you can has served you well and would serve a lot of folks also. I always felt I was judged by the finished product of my metal working, and in my "1st" career, the livestock I produced. Not that I really cared what others thought, but it was always nice when folks noticed. People had no idea what took place in my metal shop or on the farm so I was meeting my standards and that was what mattered. Your work is wonderful to watch. Thanks for sharing.

Dan