In Regards to Freewheels?

GoldenMotor.com

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I very recently grenade-ed my freewheel, and need to replace it.

For the record my build is a Schwinn OCC, the blown up freewheel has twenty teeth and is branded "DNP-LONG YIH co."

What matters now are two simple questions:
Should I get an ACS or a Shimano? (or a third option)
Should I loose a couple of teeth?

not really knowing much about these brands I did some searching, Shimano seems to make a good product and word on the street says they run quiet (a bonus)
ACS costs fewer dollars and I am not turning up any flak being thrown at them (pedalchopper apparently uses them on his builds which I consider high praise)
If any of that is wrong please let me know.

As far as the teeth go, I am pretty happy with the gearing (I only need pedals to get started after all) but if I drop down a tooth or two I think my two chains will match up perfectly (the pedal chain is just a smidge too short, they both fit, but if the engine chain is perfectly tensioned the pedal chain is too tight)

If anyone has any experience with, or opinions on, these sorts of things please drop some knowledge below.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I got a ride to a bike parts place on thursday and right now my plan is to get an 18 tooth sprocket, probably an ACS, I will ask the guy at the store his opinions on the matter.

if anyone out there has any advice please throw it down.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
One of best freewheels are White Industries but they're high priced. You should invest in a quality chain breaker tool. Carry quick links with you should you need to make a road side repair.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
DMR are from uk. they have a single speed hub with a cromoly axle for around 60-90 bucks. All there stuff is great. otherwise anything will be an upgrade im sure.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
LR Jerry: after googling White Industries I now wish I had the money. those things look fantastic, but I can't afford one. maybe a couple of years down the line. will ask about them at the bike shop anyway.
Also, that's a good tip, I need to pick up some master links as spares for my motor chain as well. my long dropouts have allowed me to just slip the chain off so far.

frank66: I did some searching, not sure if I can get that brand in Canadialand, but I will ask the guy at the bike shop about it.
Also, about a three-speed hub. Maybe someday...

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
you could find one used on pinkbike for 40 dollars probly. norco used to use dmr parts on the offroad bikes. but ebay should have some new aswell. the hub is around 150 bucks usually but they were popular and came on lots of bikes stock so used ones are allways available very cheap.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
26inch wheeled frames are 135mm spacing but the single speed hubs are only 130mm spacing. the dmr is a 135mm i believe. its made correct for your frame i think.

wild goose chase right? you wont be disapointed cause it was disc brake or sprocket compatable :) came in sexy red i think too.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
well in the end I was faced with a choice: order something and wait, or buy the 10 dollar hub he had right there.

it came with a warranty...