Ignition timing?

GoldenMotor.com

theguy2024

Sep 25, 2022
I’ve begun learning a bit about ignition timing but maybe some of you can explain better.

I’m still figuring out tuning this bigger carb so it isn’t probably tuned yet. Should I keep working at tuning the carb before touching ignition timing or is this not necessary?

Also how does one know when they should touch the timing? I’m thinking of Retarding the timing but i’m not sure how much to shave off the woodruff.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It’s best to get the carb as close to tuned as possible first, then if the timing change hurts or help’s performance you will know. I always suggest working on one mod at a time, often someone does several upgrades at once and has trouble finding out what works and what doesn’t.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I recommend not touching the timing at all!!! Timing is only something you mess with if you are a experienced engine tuner!!

These things come with the timing pretty good right out of the gate.

As a general rule, retarding the timing a few degrees will help the engine run a little cooler, but will reduce power.
Advancing the timing will gain power but will cause the engine to run hot!

Air cooled engines are very sensitive to timing changes & over heating!

Like I said... I advise not to mess with it.

When tuning the carb... Start with installing bigger jets until it starts feeling groggy, then drop slightly down in jet size until it runs good

Reactions: zean and dogcatcher