i need help

GoldenMotor.com

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
hi guys i just finished my build of a beach cruiser but i have a problem with the chain rubbing on the frame part where the coaster break is attached too and i can not figure out how to get it right it has already shaved some metal and i have not even taken it for a ride ...i tried messing with chain tension,, i have enough space between the wheel and the chain but right by sprocket its rubbing to frame.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Welcome!
My guess is you are using the kit supplied rag joint. Not sure if you mounted the sprocket dished in or out. If Dished out you might try removing then flipping the sprocket the other way. Another possible solution is to spread the frame using a couple washers on the inside of frame on the wheel axl. This needs to be done equally on each side so the wheel remains centered. So after all this ---be also concerned the motor drive chain will scrub the tire.
Beach Cruisers are normally loaded with 2.125 tire width. Too Wide. The fix for this situation will be a tire size of 1.95.

Reactions: Jimmy Bloodmaker

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
O.K. so remove it and flip it teeth in. The fix could be that simple. I have had to spread the frame a couple times on different bikes - even with teeth in. I use a turnbuckle from the hardware store and spread the frame a little beyond where it needed to be. The reason is to Not induce stress which will create a fracture point. Just go ever so slightly beyond your spacers (washers). This will allow the wheel to slip in with washers in place. You want the frame stays to relax exactly where they need to be. That is the objective when spreading the frame. NO STRESS vibration will fracture @ stress points.
83250-cd832ef487f134c90f0a67591a4ee1ce.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
i just bust out the old mean green and whack the offending metal away from my project. then i grab the metal melter box and buzz a new piece to replace the old one, but where it's not gonna be in the way. i usually go over board on re-enforcing my frames. then again i have been known to jump off 15 foot high dirt cliffs and rock out with my roster out. i've burned to many rims to do tht stuff on the street anymore.

Reactions: allen standley

Jimmy Bloodmaker

Nov 24, 2018
midwest
Jimmy, please tell us you wear a helmet and chainmail.

lmfao! i have a buddy that does the Armour league ( acl i think it's called, it's a worldwide thing), he's on the omaha ravens. he trys to get me to do it, but those fairs don't let motorized horses in. they say it's not in sync with the times they are trying to portray. lol.

i however um, well do not wear my helmet while riding, i did buy one though. lol. i do wear gloves with hard knuckles though.

Reactions: allen standley