I need help Plannng my trip

GoldenMotor.com

Grongebis

May 8, 2012
Dayton Ohio
I want to go cross country on my motorized bicycle. I'm very serious about this. My wife is going to go to Hawaii for a couple of weeks with her mom and sister but I don't get to go. THere's no timeframe yet. I'm going to use this opportunity to go across the USA on my bike.

I already have the bicycle.. This is as far as I have gotten. I want to put a 2 cycle motor in it, but i haven't ordered it yet. I have the money, but I can't decide on which one exactly I should get.

I need a route. I assume I'm just going to go west for a week and then turn around and use the next week to make my way back home on another route.

I need to fit my bicycle to carry things. It's got one of those luggage racks over the back tire.

Supplies i think I may need..

tent
clothes
food
water
fuel
"NUMBER 6"
Ipod w/ headphones.
camera
cell phone(my current plan won't work away from home.)
laptop. (lame battery. must be plugged in to work.)
suntan lotion
small tools for engine
ziplock bags for waterproofing.
deodorant
toothpaste toothbrush
razor/shaving cream
soap/shampoo
spare inner tubes/patch kit
small frame mount pump
GPS

I have to expect it to rain

as far as budget goes, I'm sure i could save up a couple or few hundred bucks to live on. stay at a couple hotels once in a while.

I haven't decided what to do about personal protection. I've never even shot a gun before, so there's that. I was thinking about getting one of those police issued stun guns that shoot the wire with the darts into people from long range.

If anyone recommends anything let me know!

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
After reading that, I am going to suggest you don't make the trip.

Sorry, but BACK IT UP a few notches and re-think the whole thing once you get the kit and put it on your bike.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
BTW welcome to the forum.

I am not trying to be a prick, just a realist. :)
I also agree, but to add...you are not going across the U.S. of A. in two weeks....no way. In a car, from here in Alabama to California, non stop (except for fuel) takes at least 40 hours, on interstate doing 70mph. I know, I've done it. There is not one engine I can think of that will make the trip without repairing/replacing it while in route, not mentioning the bike itself. Yes...I think you might need to rethink, but it can be done, with more forethought.

20mph X 12 hours a day = 240 miles
Under the most optimum conditions, a minimum of 3 weeks would be needed.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
OK.

I'll say it can't be done.

Reason:

Way back when I was a factory rider, road testing Vtwin motorcycles before their release for sale to the public.

It was a job.

8 hour shift, 5 days a week. two 15 minute breaks, and a half hour lunch stop.

Our task was simple. Put three hundred + miles on the motorcycle during a shift. We were expected to do this in mixed riding. Some stop and go in-town, and some on the freeway system.

It was NOT possible to do three hundred miles if we spent more than a few minutes in city riding.

I did not speed while on the freeways, because I did not want to collect tickets!

With route planning, and excluding as much city travel as we could, we were able to do a little over three hundred miles consistently, each day.

It was work, and our day ended with us being tired.

I realize there are Ironbutt fellows out there who go on cannonball runs and such. I have a lot of respect for their perseverance! It's gotta be tough!

But with number six on your list, you might as well stay home.
rc

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I rode several 16 hour days, and I made a good 500 miles....but it was on a regular murdercycle, and it weren't that much fun.

That's like 31 mph AVERAGE....and that's pretty good. With a motorized bike you are going to average maybe 8 mph, and that's if you keep it running.

Now here's my suggestion, take it for what it's worth.

Get the kit, and mount it up. Then, try a DAY TRIP, camping over night and ride it back home. See how you like it, then think about taking a WEEKEND TRIP. See how that goes...and pray to God you don't get pulled over for riding an illegal motorized bike you wife will have to come and get you and throw the bike in the trunk...not a good way to end a Hawaiian vacation.

If that all works out, THEN dream up a plan for a week long journey with everything you own in a back pack or trailer.

The bottom line is you aren't going to get real far in two weeks, bag o' smilies or not.

We are not trying to scare you away, or ridicule you, we all have our own version of adventure, and mine is probably one of the more crazy ones out there. But until you get a motorbike on the road, and get some experience with it, it's best to "take a trip without ever leavin' the farm" for now.

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
If you plan on taking a long trip then you'll need a front and rear rack system along with a set of 4 pannier bags. If you using a motorized bicycle with an ht motor then you better have a minimum of a 48 tooth drive sproket or a 50 tooth drive sproket for assistance on the hill climbing,as well as for your pedal part on your bike you should have a 52 tooth chain ring along with a 40 tooth inner ring. your back wheel should be set up with a 6 speed casset minimum. Carry around 6 liters of gas with you, because you never know when you'll be able to hit the next gas station. Be ready to pedal assist your bike at a comfortable pace, it''l help increase the life of your motor over all.
Keep your gas mix ratio at around 25:1 if your using a two smoker. I know this because i've done a 400 mile round tour on an motorized mountain bike.
I covered 198 k.m. in 12 hours with pedal assistance at an average of 17 to 19 m.p.h. Be ready to stop many times along the road to allow the convoys of big rigs and cars to go by. Also make sure you have a good rear veiw mirror on your handle bar,preferably a flat glass one and not a concave one. The minimum gear you'll need is a bed roll ,tent ,tarp,sleeping bag,small pillow, instant food, tools, tubes, two stroke oil mix in a small 500 m.l. bottle,mini cooking stove, 1 pair of jeans, 1 t-shirt, 2 pairs of socks,a good fleece zip up coat, wet weather gear, mini pump and patch kit, and any thing else i've forgottin i'll add later on to this list. If you need any advice on traveling then ask me because i've done it. look up my thread,
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=33438

xct2 cflg

Last edited:

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
If i was planning a trip for 2 weeks I would take my bike on the train to where I wanted to visit and enjoy it. i would just ride the bike where ever it lead me. You only have 2 weeks. You can't enjoy it if your just pedaling. You need time to stop and smell the roses or in your case the weeds. Plan out a few things you would like to see and believe me you will enjoy it more. I plan to do just that on a long weekend trip, Taking the bike as far as I can go (might a hitch a ride on my bike permit for the train)...spend the night in a motel and just ride and taking in all there is to enjoy. Its your 1st trip? Another reason to go slowly.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I expect He'll be stoned and broke down within 30 miles of home. He remembered baggies and dope but no engine spare parts, no extra tires, no trailer and just one rack. My boy and I rode a couple of gas powered tadpoles, each pulling a trailer from here to Oklahoma City, route 66 most the way and alot of back roads. We took 3 weeks vacation and stopped at a lot of tourist type places. Each trailer contained spare engine, spare parts and every tool needed to fix any thing that broke (even my battery powered homemade stick welder). 1 pup tent half. 6 extra tires, extra tubes, patch kit extra rims and bearring kits,clutches,cables,chain,brakes. We took a butane cook stove some can goods , clothing,personals, etc. gas can and oil. 2-way radios. It was good times spent with my boy and glad I was prepared. We plan on riding to the Grand Canyon National Park for our next adventure, 1800 miles one way.

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
I expect He'll be stoned and broke down within 30 miles of home. He remembered baggies and dope but no engine spare parts, no extra tires, no trailer and just one rack. My boy and I rode a couple of gas powered tadpoles, each pulling a trailer from here to Oklahoma City, route 66 most the way and alot of back roads. We took 3 weeks vacation and stopped at a lot of tourist type places. Each trailer contained spare engine, spare parts and every tool needed to fix any thing that broke (even my battery powered homemade stick welder). 1 pup tent half. 6 extra tires, extra tubes, patch kit extra rims and bearring kits,clutches,cables,chain,brakes. We took a butane cook stove some can goods , clothing,personals, etc. gas can and oil. 2-way radios. It was good times spent with my boy and glad I was prepared. We plan on riding to the Grand Canyon National Park for our next adventure, 1800 miles one way.
WOW now thats being prepared!

Grongebis

May 8, 2012
Dayton Ohio
JUST KIDDING!!!! Come on back dude, we're just having some fun!
lol no you all didnt scare me off! I can take some ribbing..

in fact, most of your skepticism is felt like motivation/

I must clarify a couple things here.

I have rode bicycles long distances (70+ miles a day) WITH OUT motors.

THis thread is my first rough draft of my plan.. yea it needs edited. I think that as long as I stay fed, dry, hydrated, and well rested I should be alright physically. That would require a minimum of gear. Tent, tarp, blanket, but no pillow.. I'll have a bag of clothes that can double as a pillow.

As far as spare parts go, I'm going to have to build the thing and tinker with it before i know what i will need.