I got a new Whizzer and a bunch of questions

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Yea I was born in Long Beach, I live in Long Beach, and I work for the city of Long Beach. LOL. The hospital I was born in is now a convalescent hospital. My fear is that I will end up in bad shape and someone will put me in that thing. It is so close that I can walk to it, so that is a bit close. I like the idea that you were saying about pedaling a boat. I could make a pedal boat and install a happy time engine for when I get pooped out and go to the west end of the Island that end is not crowded. I grew up in the south bay curve, Torrance Hermosa and Redondo. There is nothing left of the area as I remember it. My grand parents had a house in Hermosa beach about three houses from the ocean it was built in 1918 and it looks like it did the last time I was in it. Last year it sold for 1.3 million, that's the condition of this area, Granddad payed 950.oo for it in 36. I bet they don't know how to surf.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Just send them to the Wedge during storm surf. My brother was born at Long Beach Naval hospital in late 1940's. I took another ride today and did the foto stops and posted here...
http://motorbicycling.com/f16/whizzer-meets-apache-trail-3915.html#post37068

I did have some more concerns about my bike. I had burnt out both head and tail lights and replaced them. now as I started at 6 am today all lights were out I flipped to high beam and it flashed and went out. Even the speedometer light is out now. The motor had plenty of power but sputtered at times on thew way home as if it had bad gas. I am needing to add oil after 60 to 80 miles, but they are hard miles with steep climbs. Maybe I am making it do too much? I pedal when it slows to 20 or so and find I can do 15 mph for 10 minutes (it slowed below 15 a couple of climbs that are very steep grades.) and 28 mph for about 10 seconds.

My wife says I am and she knows I like to go extreme. When I rode a bike I rode 24 hours at a time and have covered 330 miles in 24 hours several times. I did a ride that included 18,000 feet of climbing so I have no sympathy for a motor that won't help me up a mountain. I am thinking of getting it into a motorcycle shop that used to sell Whizzers and get their opinion about the state of a Whizzer with 407 miles on it.

JayRohr62

Oct 25, 2008
kansas
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. I own a 2007 NE5 whizzer that I bought in March of 2008. I've got 1300 miles on it and had to send the engine back to whizzer for warranty repair which was done through a dealership here in kansas: (Truett & Ozbourne Motorcycles). Since I got the bike back it seems to run ok on the stand but it sputters when it comes time to give it gas and go. I have opened up the restrictor plate, exhaust and made a custom polished aluminum volocity stack which has an internal metal screen for the air filter. If and when the engine picks up and goes it does around 40 to 45 miles per hour but getting it to pick up speed from a stop seems to be a problem. Any suggestions as what I should do?

Hi Jay, I will quickly recap previous comments. Check for a vacumm in the tank [just remove the blue vent in the cap]. Lower the needle in the carburetor one notch [clip in second from the top groove]. If problem continues, replace the main jet with an 82 or 85 jet [I have hundreds in stock]. Also check fuel for paint chips from the tank. If the motor was just replaced I hope they sent a late model motor as the replacement.

Hope this information helps,
Quenton
252-475-0406 cell
[email protected]

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Lenny, I have a thought. One the early Honda's they had a simple charging system, the way it worked was it had a limited amount of current it could make. The reason was that it will boil the battery if it is in a high charge rate and not using the voltage. So this is how they did it. For day running it uses one coil in the mag, and for night it adds another coil to keep up with the lights. If one of the major bulbs burnt out and you tried to run the rest it would blow the bulbs that remained. I am not sure how Whizzer is doing it, I know that the dealer I got my bike from pulled the wire off to one beam of the head light so that it would not have a headlamp running all the time, and my bulbs have not gone out. Also is the battery in good shape and in place, IE when you just turn the key on you should be able to run the lights, no engine. If the battery is out of the loop on some of the systems that is the way the regulator knows what to do, no battery and it goes crazy and makes wild voltage! I have no scematic for these bikes so I am just thinking out loud. Have fun, Dave

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Egor,

When I got the Whizzer it was set up so that the lights only came on when the motor started up. Now the lights and key are connected so the lights come directly from the battery. One problem he had doing it this way was the kill switch needed to be disconnected. The light bulbs are no longer burning out every 50 to 100 miles. He did not fix my worse problem and that is a missing that gets very severe around 25 mph and it usually will not pick up speed past that, even though occasionally it will pick up strong to 38 mph. I am going to check carburetion for that or possibly a head surfacing as the silly thing is still going thru oil fast and seems to have a leaky head gasket. Boy they could sure do a better job finishing these bikes out but I do think I will like it one day soon when I can ride it anywhere without fear of breakdown. Quenton is the man to answer questions and have good stuff to sell.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Lenny, what is puzzling is that there is so many different varriations of this bike. If there were one way they did what they do we could just compare one to the other. The lights on mine come on with the key, and my friends, so that means that they are run off the battery. If they only came on with the engine running obviously they would be running off the mag. Lights that run off the mag are very tricky as the voltage increases as the engine speeds up, so they limit the voltage to what the system can stand, but if a lamp goes out the others get the current and poof out they go. My old Bultaco was notorious for that. I have to admit the carb on these bikes is JUNK if you look close to the insignia on the side of the carb, first impression is that it is a famous KEI-HIN carb, look close at the spelling, another attempt from the Chinese to copy a legend and they messed it up. Mine last week popped the top off and now the threads will not hold it in place. I took the gasket off that goes under the cover to get it to stay on for now. Mine also has a flat spot in the running just off an idle, it goes lean. That means that the cut in the slide is too large, that is the rounded look in the slide you can see if you look into the carb from the outside. I have a drawer in an old tool box full of good carbs but the bolt pattern is not the same as the Whizzer. Persevere, you will find harmony with your bike and then it will sing the song of a simple flat head engine to your ears, as it propels you through time to a place that simple people crave. Wow did I just say that LOL. Have fun, Dave

Hi Egor, I made a manifold and fitted a vintage Tillotson carburetor from a Cushman Eagle on one of my motors [to have an adjustable main jet], and it works great. The only downside is making sure to get the choke off quickly because it can easily flood out.
A lot of the Whizzer owners that run on a Dyno use the same type of carburetor, but is usually the smaller MT12 version that originally came on the later Whizzer motors [late "300" and "700" motors].

Have fun,
Quenton

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
You know I have a bunch of Carter carbs off of old Cintons out in the garage maybe now is the time for one of those carbs. It would be easy to fit one I can make a manifold easy. Thanks again, I was wondering how one of the early butterfly carbs would work. Have fun, Dave

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

You guys are poetic and problem solvers too. I do realize that I am not just a go out and buy a solution guy. I appreciate all the input now this weekend I will try to get the fix in for this problem. For some reason last week I neglected to work on it and the problem did not disappear on it's own. I am waisting some good riding days. I have more places to ride so will get it going on sealing up my carburetor and any other leaks that are making it run rough.:bike2:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
OK Lenny, that is not fair. Why do I live in the city, why? I love the high desert. I want to go riding in Arizona. Anywhere that is picturesque. I am going to tag that picture and blow it up to fit my screen and then play soft music and see if I go to sleep and dream of a ride in a place like that. LOL I need to get out of this place, I am so finished. I was born here near 60 years ago, there is nothing left that I knew growing up, it is time to go! Have fun, Dave

PS: I think my green Whizzer would blend into those surroundings just fine. I would fit in just fine with your yellow one.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
yeah Lenny, I can never get any of my problems to just go away n their own. I've gone almost a week without fixing 2 broken spokes and not only have they not fixed themselves, they broke another spoke!
I think we should give up on that method of fixing stuff, it's not working and I don't really know why it wont.
;)
Think I'll get some spokes in the morning and fix the broken ones so I can ride more.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Come for a visit to the great Sonoran desert. I bet your Whizzer would make the trip in 20 hours or less. My Mom has just given me her life story and most of the first 25 or more years are in Ontario, El Monte, San Gabriel, San Louis Obispo and San Francisco. I know the places she describes once existed but are no more. I do marvel at what a cooperative society can build, but we do need a balance with some open spaces like in my photo. I planned that trip for at least 5 months, June to September. Now come out here and give me a reason to repete it. I want to circle the Superstition Mountains when I get thru dreaming and repair the silly beast.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Whizzer Fans. I Was At A Friends Bodyshop Yesterday. A Few Months Ago I Told Him I Was Assembling Motor Bikes. He Said He Had A Original Whizzer With Out Motor Upstairs. Yesterday He Had Time To Show It To Me. He Has Had It For Over 50 Years. He Got It With Rear Pulley Still On The Rear Wheel, Which He Has Removed. He Peddled Newspapers With It As A Kid (duh) For 3 Cents Each, He Made A Penny Each. The Fenders Are Extra Wide. He Pointed Out The Notched Rear Fender For The Drive Belt. He Seemed Extra Proud Of The Springer Fork. :d He Is One Of People Like Me And Lots Of You, Who Put Big Engines Is Smaller Cars Back In The 50`s , Before Factory Super Cars. I Just Thought Some Of You Mite Enjoy "the Old Whizzer Hiding In The Attic". Later My Friends. Ron :ride2:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Weedy, I Will See If I Can Take Some Pics This Week, It Had Crossed My Mind. I Have A Good Digital With Flash. Fairracing Will Have To Down Size For Us Again. It Looks Neglected But Original. Ron

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Neat I think it would be cool if he could get it going again. I know it is not cheep to find an original engine but it can be done. I would like to see his face if he were to ride the bike again. Have fun, Dave
PS: This is an engine builder. Complete Whizzer Engines

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Here are some photos of the head and exhaust pipe from my Whizzer. This is after 609 miles. Obviously I was loosing some compression and ioil out the head. Maybe you all can help me read these signs. The plug hangs inside at least 1/4 inch and this does not seem good, but I did check and Whizzer says I am using the right one. I found Walt an old Pifpe fitter who works on Whizzers and other old things. He will help me to get it working soon, I trust. Way better than the places I have been dealing with since buying it. I will learn to do more myself but now I am getting answers that make sense.

Attachments

Last edited: