Huffy Cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com

Garbag3man117

Jul 10, 2011
Lafayette, IN
I finished building my motorized bicycle on a Huffy Cranbrook. I made a video here: ‪My new motorized bicycle‬‏ - YouTube

I don't have a hand brake yet but I'm gonna get one. Also, the motor wont idle at 16:1 and 20:1 ratios, but it will at 50:1, and it also seems more powerful. Ive only tried it with those 3 ratios. Will it get better over time, or is something wrong? 50:1 is too little oil, right? The motor isn't broken in yet. Probably about 10 miles on it.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I finished building my motorized bicycle on a Huffy Cranbrook. I made a video here: ‪My new motorized bicycle‬‏ - YouTube

I don't have a hand brake yet but I'm gonna get one. Also, the motor wont idle at 16:1 and 20:1 ratios, but it will at 50:1, and it also seems more powerful. Ive only tried it with those 3 ratios. Will it get better over time, or is something wrong? 50:1 is too little oil, right? The motor isn't broken in yet. Probably about 10 miles on it.
Glad you got your build done...but you're not gonna see 40mph and 170 mpg...

Have fun, though! Get the thing tuned and a pull brake on it.

Garbag3man117

Jul 10, 2011
Lafayette, IN
Ya I know I'm not going to get it, the manual says it does, and I think its over 49cc. They may have sent me the wrong package. Does anyone know about the fuel problem?

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Just noticed you're from Lafayette. I'm originally from the Kokomo area. I'll have my bike out that way in September and my father just finished his 29er build. You should be able to find a diagram or a thread on here explaining the NT. I've never had/ran one. Only a turd CNS and now the amazing RT carb from Dax.

Also, if you start a thread of your own with your build and the questions you have, you'll get more help.

Hacksawdecap

Jul 20, 2011
Phoenix
Im doing my first install on the huffy cranbrook cruiser and Im seriously having a hard time taking the choaster break arm off. I'm I just weak or is there a strategy to this?:-||

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Big wrench on the coaster brake arm and the right size on the jam nut. Put wheel in your lap with coaster arm pointing at 12 o'clock and wrench on jam nut at about 3 o'clock or whatever position you feel you can get the most torque from. Pull coaster arm towards you and jam nut away from you. Muscle up! Grit your teeth! Take a breath and push harder! Basically, you're gonna scissor them towards each other.

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/how-remove-your-coaster-brake-arm-15928.html

Last edited:

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
My roomate and I are building a couple of these next week when all of the Parts come in.
Actually bought the Cranbrook last summer to put on my 4 stroke HS. Found the engine was almost too big for the in-frame mount...but I did get it put on the bike. Coming up to now...ended up ordering a ton of parts and putting the HS back on the Jag. Now...I have tons of clearance.

Now...I've got it almost built...but the bike shop is taking forever to rebuild my rear wheel to the HD freewheel. Once I get it back...will be able to put on the new chains on both sides and get back on the road after almost a year. Means I've still got to get the Sturmy-Archer front drum rebuilt as soon as I get that stuff back from the bike shop.

As for the Cranbrook...once I get back to work from layoff in a week or so...want to put a 2 stroke on that frame since that engine will fit better than the HS I normally ride.

Good luck on the build. Still waiting for two pairs of brake levers I didn't notice were coming from China when I ordered them. Me bad!

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Mine is coming along, just ordered the miscellaneous stuff I needed from SBP (new petcock, high flow air filter, upgraded hardware, etc), so once that arrives I will start my install.

Also waiting on my new front wheel since my LBS ordered the wrong one, but they did get the back one right. I am replacing my stockers with some black alloy Weinmanns with 12g spokes and a Shimano E110 coaster. I will get a SA drum in a bit for the front...

Here is a pic from yesterday after installing my Kip Harley layback seat post. I love it, so sturdy that I am sure if I stood on it the frame would fail before the seat post, lol.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Mine is coming along, just ordered the miscellaneous stuff I needed from SBP (new petcock, high flow air filter, upgraded hardware, etc), so once that arrives I will start my install.

Also waiting on my new front wheel since my LBS ordered the wrong one, but they did get the back one right. I am replacing my stockers with some black alloy Weinmanns with 12g spokes and a Shimano E110 coaster. I will get a SA drum in a bit for the front...

Here is a pic from yesterday after installing my Kip Harley layback seat post. I love it, so sturdy that I am sure if I stood on it the frame would fail before the seat post, lol.

Very nice bike. Especially like the handlebars and the layback seat post.

As for mine...just got BOTH of my wheels back from the shop. The back is an HD freewheel with the front the SA 70mm drum. The best surprise was they put them together with my old spokes/rims for the cost of relacing both for $80...rather than almost $200 if they would've had to order new spokes/nipples.

Now...gotta get the sprockets put on...the solids mounted on the rims and install both chains. Should be ready to be on the road by Wednesday.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Very nice bike. Especially like the handlebars and the layback seat post.

As for mine...just got BOTH of my wheels back from the shop. The back is an HD freewheel with the front the SA 70mm drum. The best surprise was they put them together with my old spokes/rims for the cost of relacing both for $80...rather than almost $200 if they would've had to order new spokes/nipples.

Now...gotta get the sprockets put on...the solids mounted on the rims and install both chains. Should be ready to be on the road by Wednesday.
Nice, grats! Any reason you went with the 70mm drum vs the 90mm? Pricewise, they seem pretty close.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Nice, grats! Any reason you went with the 70mm drum vs the 90mm? Pricewise, they seem pretty close.
The 70 was $25-35 cheaper than the 90...even from Ebay. Didn't care for the dynamo hub...but wanted decent front brakes better than the caliper forks I put on the Huffy.

Am happy that I was able to use my 12 ga spokes/rim and get it done for $40.