Huffy Cranbrook Build

GoldenMotor.com

noah.w

Mar 14, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
Starting on my second bike bought a super cheap Huffy Cranbrook, $100 from walmart. Bought the kit from BGF on Ebay. Knob coming out of the center of the handle bars is my choke lever, Have CNS Carb and a 32 tooth rear sprocket. Got to get some pictures of the gas tank up soon, im sure you'll all like it! Heres how its all looking so far, nothing is permanent yet, still needs the rear sprocket, choke and clutch hooked up. and everything needs to be strapped down and neatened up.

drn2

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
repack all the bearings with good grease and keep a CLOSE eye on the fender hardware. I removed the fenders on both of my cranbrook sale bikes for safety.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Any hi-temp automotive or industrial wheel bearing grease will work.
I use some red stuff I've had for 3 or 4 years now. (I got a case at a yard sale cheap)

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Don't forget to change the mounts on your finders. They will break in short order. My brothers did, Mine did, and my nephews' did. They all broke in the first 100 miles. Just make new mounts out of thicker metal.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
Do the wobbly stock wheels hold up on this bike?
I am still using the wheels on one of my bikes. Have had no problems with them. Just be sure and take the hubs apart clean and put some good high temp wheel bearing grease in them. I am still running the cheep bearings but it would be wise to change them to good ones. Keep an eye on the spokes. if your wheels are wobbly they are loose or out of true.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
I see that bottle of locktite on the floor there said:
Loctite will not stop the thin metal they use for the mounts from breaking. Just make new ones. It's not hard. Use some sheet metal and make some stronger fender braces too. You will be good to go for years.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
EVERY SINGLE BIKE I ever bought from WalMart had loose spokes and/or rims that needed trueing.
EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
Check them before you take your first ride. Loose spokes will cause disaster in a short time, and can lead to serious injury if they go at speed.
WalMart bicycle assemblers have no clue about assembling bikes.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I ear that!
Just ordered a nice spoke tool set from epay and watched a few tutorials on truing bike wheels,,went out to the shed and got the back wheel pretty straight with an adjustable wrench cause i cant wait...lol..thanks for the tips guys!!

dnut

noah.w

Mar 14, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
I will also be making new fender mounts, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Got the bike ride able last night heres the pic (Its a little blury, sorry). Motorbicycling.com stickers on both sides of the tank!

dance1

Attachments

noah.w

Mar 14, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
Got the fuel line and filter at autozone and the mount i made with a piece of 3/8 aluminum i had laying around the house, a little thick but will be a little stronger.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Cool,,
I have some aluminum here,,not sure if its thick enough,,just measured it and its only 2 or 3/32,,so I will have to find something a little thicker.Really looking forward to this build,,these motorized bicycles would have been a dream come true when I was a kid...lol..I have to build one!

Take care bro..

noah.w

Mar 14, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
Yeah they are sweet i had my first one when i was 12 (18 now) and i rode that thing everywhere!!! when i got home from work today i put some gas in it pedaled and popped the clutch, started instantly and rode amazing!! cant wait to use it to get back and forth to work.

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
Yeah they are sweet i had my first one when i was 12 (18 now) and i rode that thing everywhere!!! when i got home from work today i put some gas in it pedaled and popped the clutch, started instantly and rode amazing!! cant wait to use it to get back and forth to work.
So hows the cranny holding up? Did you stay with stock rims and tires? Is the coaster brake working out good? I also just bought a cranbrook 26" and a FH 66/80cc silver kit

freitag

Mar 18, 2011
portland
EVERY SINGLE BIKE I ever bought from WalMart had loose spokes and/or rims that needed trueing.
EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
Check them before you take your first ride. Loose spokes will cause disaster in a short time, and can lead to serious injury if they go at speed.
WalMart bicycle assemblers have no clue about assembling bikes.
My cranny wheels were wacked right out of the box, took them to a local bike shop and they trued them very well, at $15 a pop. Although i told the guy i was going to motorize it, and he got all worried, like, "that bike is not strong enough" and, "i guarantee your wheels will get bent again, because they are not of good components". He suggested buying higher quality wheels, i will wait to see the verdict on these. High temp grease for sure, and you can get some white grease at wallmart, home depot, whatever..... jmo. I wouldnt try truing by yourself unless you are a bike mechanic because it takes skill, expensive tools, and its worth it to have a professional take care of that, $30 or many hours of your time?