Huasheng problem.

GoldenMotor.com

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
follow-up to above post, actually my engine continued gain power for few weeks,
still running great. I'd put a cover around the mounting spacers to keep out dirt.
I noticed it seemed to be getting pretty hot. Sure enuf, shortly thereafter it threw
a cooked rotor spring. Now I only cover the bottom side & am using a 4 hole clutch
drum to achieve a sort of forced air cooling for the rotor. This does keep it considerably
cooler, I've had no further problems. I think heat is the main culprit when springs fail.
(FYI)

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
Right on Otero. Yeah I have only been seeing gains since the day I adjusted my valves like you. But the heat issue for the friction drive I have not. I drilled 5 holes for the bell to breathe, I also used 2 small washers behind my friction drive (26x2.5 tire) to space my chain off my tire just abit more but, I have noticed that the 2 washers make a backflow vent for the friction drive and have seen the dust residue from the clutch behind that vented area. I also cut a hole in the plastic cover for the 80 tooth sproket. All in all the heat doesn't build up to the point where it's hot and binding that heat to one spot it's always able to cool off.

Cheers.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Actually, it's a friction drive that's been converted to a DIY belt drive. It's
too wet & mossy here most of the year to run a fric drive effectively. On the
up side, It didn't get up to 75 degrees here 'til the end of July; meanwhile the
rest of the country baked.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
FYI,
AN additional bit of info. Obviously heat is a serious issue this year. If you suspect
an overheating problem, here's something you should do. First, check your plug. If
running properly, it should be a chocolate color with no deposits or blistering. If it's
blistered or an ashy white, you're running to hot. This can mean you have too hot of
a plug. Check manufacturer recommended plug. Another factor is your mix is too rich.
Lean it a 1/2 turn and see if you're getting cooler air from the flywheel fan. Third, if
you're running on premium, go to mid-grade or even regular in hot weather.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I agree with your assessment of the spark plug, but I have to disagree with your carburetor tuning suggestion.
A rich mixture burns much cooler than a lean one.
Also the state of carburetor tune has absolutely nothing to do what-so-ever with the temperature of the air that the fan sucks in through the intake of the fan shroud and then blows onto the cylinder.
Also, if your engine is running so hot as to have pre-ignition or detonation problems, switching to a higher grade/ octane fuel reduces the possibility of detonation. Pre-ignition can still be a problem as that is not related to the rate of burn that higher octane levels control/ slow down.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
perhaps, if it's overly rich and squandering fuel, but leaning worked for me, less
fuel less heat. If the engine is hot, the air blowing through the forced air system's
gonna be hot; if it's running cooler after leaning, you can feel the difference, but
suit yourself. It works for me, we are talking 4 stroke, right? I was given this info
by 70 yr. old small engine mechanic

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I agree with GearNut. A richer mixture is going to run cooler than a leaner one. More fuel doesn't necessarily mean more heat, especially on standard gasoline engines.

Your 70 y/o small-engine mechanic is a long time out of school. Maybe he never went to school to work on these. One doesn't have to go to school to understand that in the combustion process, more air = more heat, less air = less heat. The fuel will not burn unless it has enough air.

Holding your hand over the exhausting air by your engine cooling fan is not at all a reliable indicator.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
like i said. it works for me. say with all those posts. when do you guys find time to ride?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I ride whenever I can.
My wife has health issues and I am home alot on the weekends to take care of her. I often am on this site sporadically during the weekends as I am mere feet away from my wife while I am sitting in front of this computer. I also check this site every morning before work and after work which is when I do most of my posting.

As for 70 years of experience working with small engines, well I don't have that.
I have 30 years experience though. I Graduated from Motorcycle Mechanics Institute with honors. Top 3 percentile of my class. I have 20 years experience professionally repairing all sorts of motorcycles, specializing with Harley-Davidsons.
I will not steer anyone wrong when it comes to the characteristics of internal combustion engine operation.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Thing is neither the gx50 or the hs142 were ever intended for use on a motorcycle.
they're built for use on lawn, garden, and construction implements.(my guy's forte)
you can put one on a bike, but it's still a glorified weed whacker.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
As far as bikeberry is concerned they are crooks, how many sites operate other sites
under the table to dump bad parts? spookytooth is now owned by bikeberry and yet
except for contact info nothing has changed on st site, look at shipping policy
still states bisbee arizona and zero mention of bikeberry, and spooky tooth is not
mentioned on bikeberry's BBB page hum? First time I found out I was buying from bikberry
was after payment, 3 months latter and 8 shipments to and fro and they still couldn't
get it right! I filed a dispute and kept the engine, documentation is everything
photo's, phone conversations taped, and emails. document everything!!! boy have I
learned
I set the engine up and ran a half tank thru it successfully don't know if rest will work yet, if not I have the money to buy a new one.
oh and when jack screamed about returning the engine I simply pointed out bikeberry's
policy, if gas has been in it no return

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Thing is neither the gx50 or the hs142 were ever intended for use on a motorcycle.
they're built for use on lawn, garden, and construction implements.(my guy's forte)
you can put one on a bike, but it's still a glorified weed whacker.
That doesn't matter. The combustion process doesn't differ whether it's a 4-stroke utility engine or a 4-stroke motorcycle engine.

@ Desert Rat: Sorry for your troubles. It's BikeBerry tho, don't be suprised! I've had to deal with them 3x, never again will they get my money.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Thanks, hey I'm happy got the motor and my money back, hopefully everything will
work fine, the funny thing is all this is because they couldn't send me a $60 HD axle kit
for a pull start, they kept sending me one's for a two stroke (three they shipped me)
I ended up going to bicycle-engines to buy it.
My question is why does this site continue to advertise for spooky tooth and bikeberry?

Of course the game is rigged, but if you don't play you can't win LOL

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Well, AZ
IF ya get a good one & take care of there's no reason it shouldn't last. I've
got a 25 yr old 33cc homelite whacker that still runs like a champ. 17,000
does seem a lot tho, but then i've got 11,000 on one bike just pedaling. How
much of that 17.000 d'ja pedal?

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
17,000, hmm? I could swear it was 7000 last time. Bin to Tierra del Fuego
lately? :)

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I swapped the HS for a 99cc Predator back in March or so,
I already have 3400 miles on her (it would be more but it's been really hot this summer)

my point was, the HS is a good little powerplant, that can last many miles ;)

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I hear that; my mom lives there.(she's 92) Bin too wet to ride here. Finally broke
70 degrees in late July. I figger my HS is just getting broke in still; runs fine, but
it keeps throwin' clutch springs on my rear rack mount. Any ideas?