HS 49cc is losing the fight for survival...

GoldenMotor.com

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
You did help! I now know what oil I will be buying next! I had no idea I could use that oil in this engine.
Diesel truck oil like shell rotella synthetic is the best stuff you can use in a motorcycle 4 stroke engine or any small engine to say the least.

I use Shell 15w40(synthetic) Rotella, a diesel oil, in all my bikes, including those with wet clutches. Diesel oils have a lot of zinc additives, a good thing for motorcycle engines.There is no good reason to waste your money on "motorcycle" oils, better described as snake oils, good only for lightening your wallet.If it doesn't have a catalytic converter it gets diesel oil around here:)

Glad I could help at least a little :)

Good Times....

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If flipping the choke on seemed to unclog it, I'd look for dirty jets. Choking causes a increase in vacuum in the carb throat which may have pulled the dirt through and caused symptoms like you describe. I've heard the carbs on these motors are very sensitive to debris.

Last edited:

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Umm.....maybe I'm missing something here. You told me in a different thread this was being solved. Now.....another issue.....and.....What's with the motorcycle oil? Its not a motorcycle engine,its a industrial engine. You know,for water pumps,compressors,etc. I have one of these engines and other than putting on a sbp filter,I've done nothing else and it seems to run just fine. Need to dust it off though.....
When I said i was fixing the issue I was referring to the con rod and crankshaft problem. I fixed that and am now having a carb/overheating issue.

I cleaned the carb out and will see how it runs later today.

usflg

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
I guess its worth a shot. I just want to be able to ride this bike. I switched to a 4 stroke for reliability, but so far I've been let down.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I guess its worth a shot. I just want to be able to ride this bike. I switched to a 4 stroke for reliability, but so far I've been let down.
I don't even think twice about taking the china girl out for a 25 mile ride,,reliable enough for me,,and heck you could carry just about everything you need to repair the motor on the road if you get stuck :)

Good times....

Tom:)

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Yea I switched from the 2 strokes to this 4 stroke so i could ride hundreds of miles without even thinking about the engine, but it seems that this is not going to be a reality.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Yea I switched from the 2 strokes to this 4 stroke so i could ride hundreds of miles without even thinking about the engine, but it seems that this is not going to be a reality.
It should be once you work the bugs outta it bro..you will learn during the process that's part of the hobby,,I know its always good when things work right,,but you learn the most when problems arise and you get through them..

Tom :)_

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
It should be once you work the bugs outta it bro..you will learn during the process that's part of the hobby,,I know its always good when things work right,,but you learn the most when problems arise and you get through them..

Tom :)_
True. Its just disappointing because I got the bike, built it all up, and heard so much about how if you want reliability these 4 strokes are the way to go. Then, my bike ends up being less reliable than the 2 strokes I used to have.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
OK bro's, I've been around a couple of years and everybody knows I'm a 2 stroke guy. So heres my problem..... I'm putting together a recumbent with the cheapo Hua Sheng knock off engine. The tank sits lower than the carb so I installed a pulse pump, which works fine. Then I popped off the valve cover to install a pump fitting and it looks like the lifters are getting NO OIL. All I saw on the lifters was a little assembly grease. I left off the cover, started it, and NO OIL at all is getting to the top end.
I KNOW lifters need oil, so whats up with this engine, anybody know?
fatdaddy.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
OK bro's, I've been around a couple of years and everybody knows I'm a 2 stroke guy. So heres my problem..... I'm putting together a recumbent with the cheapo Hua Sheng knock off engine. The tank sits lower than the carb so I installed a pulse pump, which works fine. Then I popped off the valve cover to install a pump fitting and it looks like the lifters are getting NO OIL. All I saw on the lifters was a little assembly grease. I left off the cover, started it, and NO OIL at all is getting to the top end.
fatdaddy.
Check the oil level. If there is enough oil, then the plastic gear inside that flings oil into the valve area might be having issues (although i doubt this is the cause).

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
fatdaddy.
Do you mean the valve rocker arms? The HS doesn't have lifters per se, it has a single cam lobe -> 2 actuators -> 2 pushrods -> valve rocker arms.

Valve rocker arms don't require a lot of oil, but they should be getting some during normal operating RPMs (5-7K)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yeah Aleman, The rocker arms. Getting NADA for oil. And yeah MM, probably OVERFULL on the oil. I popped the clutch side case off and it looks like theres a place for an oil pump gear, behind the timing gear, THAT AIN'T THERE. Here's a pic if it helps.
fatdaddy.

Attachments

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Thanks Aleman, I THINK I know whats going on with it. If I'm right I'll probably never admit to it, It's too embarrassing. I'm gonna slap it back together and see what happens.
fatdaddy.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I got 3500 miles on my HS49 and I hardly maintain it all. I never even change the oil on time, and it just keeps on going.