How to attach bike rim to wheel?

GoldenMotor.com

tjmortenson

Mar 22, 2012
Brainerd, MN
I have decided to change by motorized bicycle to belt drive, and I need some help with how to attach my smaller rim to my wheel, I don't think welding to the spokes would work, so I need some suggestions.
Thanks!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Check out my build thread for my panther, a couple guys posted different ways to attach a sheave to the wheel.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Check out lowracer's builds. He has tecniques for attaching rims together but not to the spokes.. If you want to spend a little money, you can buy a replicated Wizzer pulley on Ebay or from one of the vendors listed here. Don't remember which one.

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I used a old 24” rim for a flat belt system on my 26” “retro antique” project.

I made 9 brackets bolted between one rim and the other just like they did in the early days of motorcycle building.

The only difference is I extended the width of the brackets on the 24” Pulley” side to cover the spoke holes. I also lined the pulley with leather just like they did in the early days of motorcycle building...

But in order to do this you will have to widen the left side wheel stays

-Kirk

Attachments

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I used a old 24” rim for a flat belt system on my 26” “retro antique” project.

I made 9 brackets bolted between one rim and the other just like they did in the early days of motorcycle building.

The only difference is I extended the width of the brackets on the 24” Pulley” side to cover the spoke holes. I also lined the pulley with leather just like they did in the early days of motorcycle building...

But in order to do this you will have to widen the left side wheel stays

-Kirk
Thats a very cool looking set-up, did you do a build thread on that bike?

FormerMPSGT

Jul 7, 2012
IOWA
I plan to use a Jack Shaft to put my chains all on the same side and cut down on the hassel of attaching to the left side of the wheel. I have a drum brake on front and rear and I want this so I am willing to go the extra to use it and nothing but the jack shaft will work on this configuration. Sick Bikes I think has the or just type in Jack Shaft for motorized bicycles should get it (took me forever because I didnt know they were called a Jack Shaft [try explaining things to a computer 1 0 1 0 doesnt get it])