How the ?!

GoldenMotor.com

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
I have acouple of quick questions.

First off how the **** do you install this?
Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE bicycle chrome head light - eBay (item 190441049189 end time Nov-05-10 18:23:20 PDT)

Second off is this a better way to try to hook up a light, turn signal and breaking system?
MINI GENERATOR (With Light Switch) For Motorized Bikes - eBay (item 400109305577 end time Nov-09-10 23:59:39 PST)

Next, how does the breaking system work? same as a speed-0 read or is it hand operated on a cruiser?

It's the cheapest bike light and looks the best on my bike. Do any stores like sick bike parts have it?

Also wondering if anyone has a built in talk on a huffy crainbrook. Trying to figure out how to do it dealing with the welding and if theres an easy way to do it.

Also wondering if this tank could fit on the same bike:
motor motorized engine bike - long tank black 1 G - eBay (item 400159646278 end time Oct-30-10 18:07:01 PDT)

Im building a trike this xmas and just wanna get all my info before i start.

Thanks in advance for the answers and jokes!

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Well, for the light mount, the big arrow in pic points to what mounts onto your bike. Its like a locking clamp. then the small arrow is where the light mounts.

I'm curious about that generator too, I've read they're kinda weak, but I'm not sure.

For brake lights you'll need a switch in your brake handle, someone should know where to get one. I have no idea at the moment.

That tank looks cool, cheap too.

gl.

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the light is a repro of the old generator lights that were popular in the 60's and 70's. the light mounts to the bars and the generator mounts to the frame seat stay so it can spin off the tire.

it's a good way to ruin your tire on a motored bike. i think there's a post here somewhere where someone measured the voltage coming off one at high speed and it was like 17v or something crazy. that'd probably burn out your light (which is 6v.)

never tried that wiring set-up thing, but the seller's other products scare me.

like this mount: MOUNT FOR MOTORIZED BICYCLE Moped Motor Engine Kit - eBay (item 400166337846 end time Oct-28-10 21:45:41 PDT)

seriously?

the tank is a hanging tank, designed to mount under a straight top tube. dunno what kinda huffy you have, so i dunno if it'd fit.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
I seem to recall several reports that the cheap dynamo lights don't last long on motorized bikes.

Also we note, the generic China tire-dynamo kits like that are very cheap. Same as with everything else--if you buy the cheapest parts, don't be real surprised when they don't last long.

---------

There's still GOOD tire dynamo setups being made and sold in Europe, and they cost $100+ for the set. Harris cyclery sells the Busch & Müller dynamo alone (no lights included) for $55.

Most aficionados of generator lights have moved to using generator hubs instead of the bottle dynamos. The hubs are more durable and less hassle but I don't know that they would withstand higher-than-normal bicycle speeds any better. Even cooler (I think),,,, they have LED generator lights now that have a capacitor thing built-in, so that they will stay lit for 30-60 seconds after you stop moving.

Sturmey-Archer even makes a front hub that is a generator + drum brake, all in one:
Harris cyclery link - Sturmey-Archer Generator/Brake Hubs For Bicycles
~

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Barely Awake has had a dynohub for awhile now with no probs.

i'm building 2 bikes using the Sturmey Archer front drum/dynohub. they're awesome hubs so far, the brake works great and the dyno works good without a motor.

i'll post a thread with updates once the bikes are done.

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
Thanks everyone for your help. I got about a month to think about exactally ehat I'm
Doing on the bike so well see what happens and I'll post some pix on a new
Thread when I'm done.