how much maint. is too much?

GoldenMotor.com

glenz

Jul 23, 2009
montana
hey guys,don't get me wrong-i really appreciate all the hard work and advice i see here,but i've got a serious concern. are these chinese kits really feasible as a regular commuter,or do they require so much maint. and have so many problems that they are basically just something to toy around with for fun? they are cheap-it just seems from all the problems i'm hearing ,(and exp.) ,that you basically have to rebuild the thing and re-engineer it almost every time you ride it-at least any distance. does anyone out there have all the bugs out to where they can ride it on a reg. basis without something screwing up?, and if so,what all did you change?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
If you do it right up front - yes it takes work - then only a few items require regular maintaining. Most (but not all) horror stories are slap it in and go installs. I experiment and ride the heck out of mine now, no issues - other than the stuff I mess with. I'm running a slant plug head with quite a bit of the mating surface removed so I have a relatively high compression - so far nothing downunder has blown up. I still wrestle with clutch slip as my CE clutch kit cam wears (I'm going back to stock). I broke a 23 year old bike chain by power shifting up hill at full throttle 45 miles per hour. These really aren't engine issues, I just keep HT'ing along with abuse!

Change all the easy gaskets, all the hardware, mount it right, lose the bolt on sprocket, use a good plug, plug wire, air filter and exhaust system.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pablo is right on with his advice. There's an old saying that goes, "Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again."
Take you time during the initial installation. Check then double check critical items like sprocket/chain alignment, secure the chain tensioner to the frame in such a way as it can not move, use good fasteners and do not over torque them. I personally am not a fan of thread locking products but that's just me. I rely on properly tightened fasteners and I don't retorque them after every ride like some suggest. That's asking for trouble. Use good oil and gasoline, keep the fuel mix clean and fresh and watch and listen for trouble before it jumps up to bite you. A little mechanical common sence will go along way to making your Motorized Bicycle a viable means of transportation. Good luck, ride careful.
Tom

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Pablo and Tom you couldn't have said it any better. I agree if you take your time with the initial install, look at all safety aspects, you should have a fairly reliable ride. As far as riding it to work on a daily basis as your only transportation, I would probably opt for a motorcycle.
I have logged well over 1,000 miles between six different motorbikes and had basically no major problems. There is the possibility of getting a "Lemon" I have just been lucky as far as that goes. You must remember how "cheap" we are buying these kits.
Like I have mentioned on several other posts, one of these days I will probably get burnt when I least expect it. If I do, and it's to far from home to pedal, I always carry the most important tool, my cell phone.

John

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
take your time during the initial build and it can last
my last 2stroke did 4000 miles in a year, all i ever did was check nuts/bolts and fill the tank
the first build is where you learn the tips/tricks (at least that was how it went for me)

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
I commute 16 miles per day 6 days aweek. I use two bikes to get it done. A backup bike is the only way for me. Then I do maintenance when I feel like it. After everything settles in there is not much anyway. Just brake adjustments and tyre maintenance. The occasional wheel truing and a monthly inspection.

You must carry a toolkit and pump with a spare tube.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I will add one more piece of advise when it comes to reliable transportation. DON'T BEAT ON YOUR TRANSPORTATION. If you want any thing to last, don't run wide open throttle all the time just because you can. I can go 30-32mph all day long but I usually cruise at 25-26mph because it just feels good there. The engine seems to like it there at that speed. There are natural harmonics in motors. You just have to listen to them and you'll be much happier riding them. I know it sounds a little ZEN like but it's the truth.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Glenz,
Your questions have been answered by some of the most experienced builders on this forum. You can't go wrong with advice like that. I'll reiterate and say, take your time and do not rush through the installation just to get it done. Look at things as you go and try to visualize what the ramifications of your methods will produce. Look for potential vibration issues, metal to metal contact that will cause chafing or failures down the road. Pay special attention to alignment issues and have a clear understanding of what could/would happen if a part fails or gets out of alignment. Captainrichill offered a very good piece of advice. Don't abuse your bike or engine. Find a safe comfortable speed, hopefully somewhere below the maximum and ride it there. 3 to 5 MPH will not make a huge difference in your commute time so there's no reason to ride at wide open throttle every step of the way. You'll never keep up with traffic anyway so don't try. Above all, be safe and enjoy your bike for what it is; alternative transportation that you have provided for yourself, and a novelty that will provide you with some fun and big savings on gasoline.
Tom

glenz

Jul 23, 2009
montana
thanx so much bro's-i REALLY appreciate all your input. i will definetly follow it.i think i was so anxious to get it goin',i see things in retrospect i could have done right the first time. it's still a blast-and the price is right! i think i'll order a few more!-thanx again-g,z.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I just completed my first build a week or so ago. took a lot to get it right, but it was nothing beyond what I would consider basic mechanical abilities... I did have my kit on a diffrent bike, put it togther in a day.. sprocket was far from true, didn't know it and right as the engine fired, the chain pulled the tensioner thru 6 spokes in the wheel and bent the outer rim.. would have cost $100 to fix or replace the rim.. so I transfered the kit to a diffrent bike.. took my time over a period of a few weeks and built it.. created a bolt on version of Toms ( 2door ) slick integrated chain tensioner.. and so far. 10 miles trouble free ( this is not a commuter for me )

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i don't do much maintance if any at all,i just ride that thing.
i do do a visual inspection before and after riding to see if nuts are still on and no leaks.

proper engine mounting and extra chain tensioner bolts,clamps or screw is required for less maintance.

radrob

May 2, 2009
Tacoma Washington
900miles in the last 9 weeks. couple problums off the bat. leaky gas tank at the bolt. (jb weld) chain tensioner had to be tweeked to run true. broken mounting stud. changed them to 1/4 american.
these happened in the first 200 miles. now no more problums. i just give it a quick once over off i go!!
man these things are a blast!!dnut