How long can you ride a 2 stroke without problems?

GoldenMotor.com

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
People tell me that 4 strokes can be ridden the entire day, no problem. I accept what they say.

How about 2 strokes? How long can you ride them without problems? Do they get really hot and overheat? Can you ride them long without any problems/ performance decreases?

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Ok, nice to hear. I am always in doubt when I enter the 4 stroke forum and they tell me how hot these engines get and say you cannot run them for more than 30 minutes max. But you 2 stroke users seem to have more experience with 2 strokes. Makes me want a 2 stroke instead of a 4 stroke again.
Do these engines smoke? Does it lose performance when it's hot? How much? Or does it maintain and not lose performance/power?
I remember I had a 47cc 2 stroke and it smoked after a short ride.

I owned a 4 stroke 110cc Chinese engine, and liked it far more than my 47cc 2 stroke because of what happened with the 47cc engine (but it still ran strong however maybe a slight performance loss and super loud engine when it got super hot). After a short ride the 110cc was warm instead of hot. But I want to try 2 stroke once again because maybe I had a bad experience. 66cc should be better and should not have problems like the 47cc does.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I ride a 48cc 2 stroke and have rode 60 miles on it in a days time, no problems with the engine so far. Like Baird said I give out long before the bike does. If you run a good synthetic oil you will have little to no smoke, if yours was getting hot it sounds like it was lean. We used to run motocross engines as lean as we could get away with to compete, but did tear downs about every two to three races. It was fun but $$$$$.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We have a group here in Denver that get together for monthly cruises. We always exceed 60 miles and a few times up to 70+. None of us have problems and we all run Chinese 2 strokes. The issue isn't the fact that they're HT powered bikes but that we all seem to know how to build and tune for longivity. Mechaincal common sense and ability is the point, not if it is a 2 or 4 stroke engine.

The 2 stroke can be used reliably IF it is installed and maintained correctly. Same for the 4 stroke. If you don't understand the engine or what it takes to keep it running correctly, you'll have problems. Guaranteed.
Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
We have a group here in Denver that get together for monthly cruises. We always exceed 60 miles and a few times up to 70+. None of us have problems and we all run Chinese 2 strokes. The issue isn't the fact that they're HT powered bikes but that we all seem to know how to build and tune for longivity. Mechaincal common sense and ability is the point, not if it is a 2 or 4 stroke engine.

The 2 stroke can be used reliably IF it is installed and maintained correctly. Same for the 4 stroke. If you don't understand the engine or what it takes to keep it running correctly, you'll have problems. Guaranteed.
Tom
Just like I would have said it. . . :)

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Nice to know. I guess I'm getting a 2 stroke kit then, First I got to find someone who ships to CA. Dax ran out of stock sadly.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
The main issue is setting them so they can run all day. that means outsmarting murphy. If you replace everything that's likely to break with things that aren't likely to break, you can ride all day with no troubles. Putting a big, cool moped head on them helps keep temps down reasonably, and making sure you have a full tool kit available so you CAN fix things that may break makes for a much more enjoyable ride.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
I rode 10 miles then not so much my engine but my clutch started acting up due to over heating, my mixture is perfect, not lean, not rich. I think what happened, is the bike frame kinda blocks any air from hitting the block, probably what I'll do is make airducts for it. I can ride around town all day, going through turns small roads etc, but the long straights is what gets me. So I have more tinkering to do which is the fun part of the hobby. :)

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Clashed and F rod what engine are you using? And any mods on them?
I have a 2009 Grubee GT5 with pretty much every aftermarket modification offered, except for the Jagware CDI and the manic high-compression head. I think I have close to 3500 miles on my motor and have not had any major issues. Like 2-Door had said; we have a group here in Denver that rides once a month close to 70 miles. My friend and I always ride to these cruises, putting on an additional 60 miles.

So, on a D.A.R. Saturday my friend and I will easily put on 130 or more miles in one day. These engines can take the punishment if you can set it up right. :)

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
@F-Rod
Let me know what aftermarket modifications you have.
Basically I wanted a hardware mount kit, RT Carb, Stud kit, etc and all for reliabillity.
Is the muffler necessary to upgrade?

Also F-Rod, like Texhun said - his clutch starts acting up on long straights, do you ride just fine on long straights? Do you do full throttle?

@Texhun, what engine are you using? Texhun can I see your bike frame? And what fuel/ oil ratio are you using?

I plan on getting a Jet Engine Kit for $200 shipped. Hope those engines are good, I did hear some people report a squealing clutch, but idk is there a fix for it?
Thanks.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Here is one of my bike threads. . . leave a compliment (^)

Diamondback Response Sport

I do a lot of mixed riding. On road, off road, just cruise, ride with traffic, and race friends sometimes. In other words, my bike can do it all (other members can vouch). I have some time put into this bike, so don't expect results as such right out of the box. Don't worry about mods right away. The thing to do is get your engine broken in and dialed right. Then proceed with whatever suites your needs. If you mod to shi* right away and then something goes wrong; there could be too many possibilities to determine the issue. I say focus on reliability first, and once that is achieved then go ahead and mod away.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've ridden and raced them for years with very few problems. I think my Suzuki RM250 was the most trouble-free of them all. 2-strokes......love the smell of that castor in the air!

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
tomorrow i'm riding through the blue mountains ( Sydney NSW) lets se how she holds up for a 3 hour ride through mountaineous terrain :D might take a few happy snaps along the way

madcroc

Aug 24, 2011
california
My bike only has about 100-150 miles on her but I rode her for a solid 45 minutes yesterday, stopped for a bit of gas and when I turned it back on it was running better than ever. Significantly smoother and more quiet - these engines really like to get warmed up!

Reactions: Testname111