how easy is it to put a kit on a bike?

GoldenMotor.com

inhumanlight

Mar 15, 2010
chicago, il, u.s.a.
hi! im new here :p
im srsly thinking about getting a motorized bike in the next few months..
i was wondering how easy it is to put together. i was thinking about the cheapest 49cc kit from gassbikesdotnet to a schwinn cruiser. i have all of the tools i need i think but i know nothing about mechanics or anything. is there alot of tinkering to get these things to work right or can i justfollow some instructions manual? i would rather put the motor on myself because of the cost, but im not really interested in motors or machines at all :p
thnx in advance d00ds

Buckphux

Feb 11, 2010
Florida
It's not that hard the instructions don't really tell you alot..infact they are pretty useless if you ask me.It took me about 4 hours to put mine together the first time and that was on a bike most people said was a "very hard build" it's the simplest motors in the world..1 piston.. if you have trouble you found the forum so there you go now on the other hand if you don't wanna learn anything maybe you should just pay the extra 150-200 bucks and buy one from someone pre-built.But then like everything else it's gonna break...And thats gonna cost more to fix.So you should spend an hour looking online and learning about 2 stroke engines then wham-bam you rock!

inhumanlight

Mar 15, 2010
chicago, il, u.s.a.
o cool thanks man!
its not that i dont want to learn anything haha also def not wanting to pay an extra 200$.. looking to spend 200-250 max i think.
so maybe ill post some pics and stuff if i have trouble with it along the way

PaulFlorida

Dec 4, 2009
central florida
If you have any questions about your upcoming build, this is the place to be. The most helpful group of guys you can meet. Be sure to use the search feature, as have have been one to ask questions that have already been answered before. Good luck!

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
not sure how my whole entry got deleted like that.... here it is anyway:

i was wondering how easy it is to put together. i was thinking about the cheapest 49cc kit from gassbikesdotnet to a schwinn cruiser. i have all of the tools i need i think but i know nothing about mechanics or anything. is there alot of tinkering to get these things to work right or can i justfollow some instructions manual? i would rather put the motor on myself because of the cost, but im not really interested in motors or machines at all :p
thnx in advance d00ds
JUST READ YOUR INSTRU;;;;; YOU WILL FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.wee.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BTW- reading the "instructions" that come with most kits, unless they have been changed recently is THE BEST WAY TO SCREW IT UP.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Several retailers here have instructions on their sites you can access or download or print.

if you get confused by one, you can look at another! Different photos too.

I think Spookytooth, bike Berry and maybe Kings- check around.

To answer the original question I think it depends alittle on your mechanical experience, the tools you now have, and the bike itself. Something new and clean is best.

Each build can have a different issue or two to overcome.

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
The comments I have seen on the forums is the china kits require looking after them AFTER you put them on.
Indeed. ive been beijinged. not in a bad way...yet. had tyo tightem tank bolts repeadtedly, finally used locktite BLUE. NEVER red. and my trek 4500 has that FAT tube on the bottom, so i had to modify it slightly. WITHOUT instructions. BTW to teh OP, can you post a pic of the bike you plan on using? preferrably along wiht a model/model number?

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
Several retailers here have instructions on their sites you can access or download or print.

To answer the original question I think it depends alittle on your mechanical experience, the tools you now have, and the bike itself. Something new and clean is best.

OR say if i had a trek 4500, and someone else here does as well, we used same kit, we MIGHT have two different outcomes, aka htey might not install quite teh same way, might need a lil of this or a tad of that. etc.wee.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
thnx in advance d00ds
If you are not mechanically inclined, have no interest in become so, and are looking for something that requires minimal maintainence, then look elsewhere for a project. This is not for you.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I put my kit on my bike using the manual that came with my kit,a few manuals online and help from this site. Its not hard to put a kit on a bike, aslong as everything fits on your bike, you have a few tools, and you have time to do it right.

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
I AM mechanically inclined. ( a certified HD tech) BUT my stubborn arse DIDNT read teh manual. it "told" me how to install it. and it worked well. will be doing my seoncd one on my race bike as SOON as it arrives. if youre not inclined. But have friends that are. they can teach you. ( learn by watching, asking questions. if no desire to be mechanically inclined, as others said. find somethgn else to do. although this sounds harsh, even after you build your moto. you will have to maintain it, and if problems arise have to repair it. whichever way you go.i wish you the best of luck

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn

ive got the PDF from my chinagirl kit. welocme to it. PM me with email ill send it