How about building for top speed?

GoldenMotor.com

Aquaman

Nov 17, 2011
N. California
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy 80-100-B 130Kv Brushless Outrunner (eq: 70-55)

I want to have an electric bike that can go 50 mph or so for about 5 miles down a very gentle hill. I have been flying electric RC planes a little and I am really impressed by the LiPos power to weight ratio. I know they are probably not the smartest investment for bikes, but I have to get up this grade as well. How would I gear this? I have been looking at all the different rides and drivetrains and I am impressed with all the innovation I have seen. What would it take to have a pedal-less bicycle (besides a total disregard for the Motor Vehicle Code) with just the brushless scooting it along?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
It would take 72vdc.

Ask me how I know, lol.

Oops, sorry, I responded before reading your link.

I used 72vdc on a front hub. Top speed was 27mph, but the range was an awesome 54 miles.

Recumpence

Aug 30, 2009
Illinois
I have hit 70 mph with RC motors.

There is a lot to know and a lot of work getting the RPM low enough to drive the wheel. However, nothing else comes close to the power density of brushless/lipo setups. They are the Formula 1 of E-bikes.

Matt

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy 80-100-B 130Kv Brushless Outrunner (eq: 70-55)

I want to have an electric bike that can go 50 mph or so for about 5 miles down a very gentle hill. I have been flying electric RC planes a little and I am really impressed by the LiPos power to weight ratio. I know they are probably not the smartest investment for bikes, but I have to get up this grade as well. How would I gear this? I have been looking at all the different rides and drivetrains and I am impressed with all the innovation I have seen. What would it take to have a pedal-less bicycle (besides a total disregard for the Motor Vehicle Code) with just the brushless scooting it along?
Whatever you do, don't get caught by CHiPs, or you'll lose your bike to "da man"!