hondagxh50 break in

GoldenMotor.com

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
i am getting a new honda tomarrow and need to break it in but can find no info on it
i was thinking something like this

idle it for a few hours
then maybe 1/4 throttle with no load for a few hours
then driving maybe 2/3 of top speed capability for a few hours
then it will be broke in and drive as usual
does this sound good?
how do you normally break in a motor?

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
starting it and letting it idle is probably the worst thing you can do. You need to get the piston ring seated.
I'd take it for a ride. Quarter to half throttle, pedal assist it up hills. After 10 or 15 mins stop let it cool off and check the plug. Make sure everything is tight, etc. Take it easy for the first couple hundred miles, and you should be good to go.

You could also follow the other philosophy about breaking in 4-stroke engines.... basically there is a short amount of time to get the piston rings seated properly, so first you take it on a quarter throttle ride, cool off, half throttle ride, cool off, then take it out and ride it at WOT for a while. Let it cool, and do some more WOT riding.
Some people swear by that method, and there is a site somewhere where a guy proves that works better on his motorcycles....
I wouldn't do it, I'd use the former method. But it is your engine, and you can do what you want with it...

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Use it like normal. Just don't spend too much time at any one RPM, not too much at high rpm or too much at idle. Change the oil at 10 hours and call it good.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I read at least 100 articles and posts. About drove me nutz, not that it is a long drive but hey. When I got on and rode, I just accelerated easy but pretty much rode her like normal. The Honda is so pleasant, kept forgetting I was breaking it in.

Any way, I am not suggesting this, just saying. But engine works flawlessly and starts first pull every morning. Gently pull and slowly turn over the engine then a good yank st8 in line where the cord comes out and Vroommmm. Your gonna love the Honda. Humming along at 30,35 is sweet.

I plan on breaking in the next one the same way, if I out live this one, snork.

xct2

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

interesting break-in method
check it out
dude recomends running it hard
and seems to make alot of sense too
is he right
or fulll of crap?
I agree with that method for 2-strokes and suspect it's the same for 4. My first few HT engines were treated like a baby. They took a long time to break in and never achieved the same power as those that were driven hard from the start. I am running my new Harbor Freight 80cc and my HS 50cc hard and so far very happy with the performance on both.

Of course there's also the fact that I have no patience. :)

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I did the full blown break-in on my HT, and it is so powerful I can do burnouts dnut
Ok... not really....:p But it does have nice power :D