Histop HD Coaster wheel with MM adapter keeps going out of true

GoldenMotor.com

Nockout19

Oct 22, 2013
KY
I have a Histop Heavy duty coaster rear wheel with the manic mechanic adapter on it and somehow the wheel keeps going out of true after about 50-75miles.:-||

I could imagine this happening with a rag joint but with the MM adapter i havn't a clue as to what would be causing this? I've even broken 2 of the 12gauge spokes on it. one on the left side about 12 o'clock and one on the right side at about 6 o'clock both had the little end at the hub broken off.

Anyone know what could be causing this to happen?

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
your adapter is sliding on the hub and bashing the spokes !!! its suposed to clamp down solid on the hub and not touch the spokes !!!

mabey you got the wrong size ? or its ot tight enough?

Nockout19

Oct 22, 2013
KY
yes i believe that WAS the case before i had the broke spokes replaced but since then its been cranked down tight and hasn't move a bit.But 60miles later and the wheel is beginning to wobble side to side very slightly.
Also the hub is 1.535 Not the 1.52-1.528 recomended.still being slightly larger instead of smaller wouldn't cause that would it??

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sounds to me like your rim has spoke tension issues. A properly built wheel should not break spokes without a reason.
Then again, I have seen regular pedal bikes that would break spokes with no apparent cause. I finally replaced ALL the spokes and that stopped the problems.
You should check the tension by spinning the wheel and tinging a screwdriver against the spokes while listening for loose or dull sounding spokes. Aim for even tension on ALL the spokes for best results.
Worst case, just replace them ALL with thicker ones.