High-wheel bicycle review

GoldenMotor.com

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
This article was printed in my home town paper 100 years ago.
The Cook Bros. were the first to purchase an old-fashion high-wheel
bicycle and bring it to town. They have it yet, and a fall from it upon
the brick paved streets is warranted to be the cheapest and most
effective method of killing one's self. Prospective suicides will make
note of this and borrow the wheel.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I was at Greenfield Village a few years back with my kids and it just so happened there was an antique bicycle exhibition that weekend. It was really amazing to watch those people get on and ride those high wheelers. I guess we all know why when they came out with the conventional bicycle design they called them "Safety Bicycles". Some of the conventional style bikes were truly amazing too, solid tires no brakes and one even was belt drive with a leather belt no less.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Here's a good read.
History of the Bicycle - An Illustrated History of the Bike

This part goes right along with that article:
The main hazard to this design was its (un)safety factor, as the riders (usually young men) sat so high up that they were very vulnerable to road hazards. The braking mechanism was almost more symbolic than functional, and there was really no way to slow the bike. And, if something were to stop the front wheel suddenly, such as a rut or object stuck in the spokes, the rider was immediately bucked forward as he rotated up over the front wheel to land squarely on his head. Hence the origin of the term “breakneck speed,” since a crash often produced truly devastating results.
Never knew that. :D

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
This is my Penny Farthing . It is unsafe at any speed . It will go in the general direction that you point it but I would not try to travel in traffic . The front wheel is a 28" . The main problem is the counter acting forces . When you apply pressure to the left pedal you have to pull back with your left hand at the same time for the forces to balance out and the wheel to go straight . .... D.J.