Help W/ Locked Engine

GoldenMotor.com

da1nonlysteven

Dec 31, 2010
Oshawa Ontario
Hello,

Installed an 80cc kit from zoom bikes.com for christmas, and I have installed it into my frame. I have successfully ridden it about 6 kms yesterday ( First time engine would run, so first 6 km on the engine), and then I went to use it today and it seems like it has completely locked up on me. I can't even get the engine to turn over even when it is locked. The back tire will slide before anything happens internally to the engine. I have checked my drive train for the bike and everything looks normal and without the engines chain, the bike rolls a.ok. Any thoughts or suggestions? The clutch lever does move, and looking inside the drive gear, I can see the little pin moving inside when clutch is depressed ( Bike should be free rolling). I was trying to get the left side cover off to see if my chain has mashed up in there but I couldn't get it because the screws were so tight. I don't want to take the chain out of there well because I can't and I am afraid that if I did, I would not be able to get it back out.

All help is appreciated! New to these engines but not motorcycles!

Thanks,

Steven Gill

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i'm a little new to this but i will try to help w/what i know.
i have this lock up issue all the time. ty hard to get the plate that covers the chain side. the chain sometimes some slack pulled up & can't pass behind the gear. also if this happens a few too many times the rear axle on the tire can get bent. then it happens even more so.
report back once you get the chain side off.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help.
It sounds as if your chain might be binding inside the drive sprocket/clutch actuator cover. A loose chain can do this due to the minimal clearance between the chain and the cover.
If you're having trouble loosening the screws try placing the proper sized screwdriver in the screw and giving it a good whack with a hammer. An alternative is purchasing an 'impact driver' from a tool supplier. They come with an assortment of bits that should fit the screws.
Make sure your clutch cable is tight enough. It might have slipped, or stretched a little from when it was first installed which will reduce the amount of leverage it has against the clutch spring. You'll want it tight at the engine with no slack when the handlebar clutch lever is in the engaged position (not locked). Since you've ridden the bike I don't feel that you are having a problem which is common, that being stuck clutch pads. This typically only occurs on new, never started engines. Good luck and get back to us with your findings.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help.

If you're having trouble loosening the screws try placing the proper sized screwdriver in the screw and giving it a good whack with a hammer. An alternative is purchasing an 'impact driver' from a tool supplier. They come with an assortment of bits that should fit the screws.

Tom
What Tom is saying..When you place the Screw driver tool firmly in place on the screw head then whack the back of the screw driver with a hammer. What this does is shock the threads on the screw slightly releasing them from being as tightly locked. Where by the screw will now turn easier then before. Its a pretty nifty old trick too!;) This trick works most of the time for me.

Last and equally important choose a screw driver that fits the most snug into the screw head. Other wise you will only make things harder than need be..

There is a fancier tool out there made just for this. It does a better cleaner job. It will turn the screw during the initial whack. Amazon.com: Impact Screwdriver: Home Improvement

Last edited:

anothen

Dec 31, 2010
Austin Texas
Chain Binding:
This has happened to me twice.
The cause is loose chain.
Make sure the sprocket is
centered. If the sprocket
is not perfectly centered,
on your bicycle wheel, it
will cause a tight/loose chain
condition.
Engine Seized:
Recently my bearings failed
after five years of use. This
caused my engine to seize.
I'm guessing that it might
be from not adding enough
2 stroke oil.
One way to test if your
engine is seized, first make
sure it is not your chain.
Next, if the clutch is depressed
the rear wheel should turn free.
I had to take the engine
completely apart before I knew
that the bearings failed.
Bottom ends are about $50
and I'll probably just do that.

da1nonlysteven

Dec 31, 2010
Oshawa Ontario
Perfect! Thats it, that was the problem, thanks to all on the help!
For bonus points whats the spark plug equivalent to what is in my bike now? Seems I have a "Great Master" spark plug. Whats the equivalent on anything but the Chinese plugs.
Steven Gill

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Try a NGK B6HS Spark Plug for summer hotter climates. Then a NGK B5HS Spark Plug for winter cooler climates