Hello. Please read

GoldenMotor.com

TechEd

Mar 23, 2010
eagan
Hi. My name is Joey. I have this project in my tech ed class where i have to fix something up. build something. so i got the approval to get an engine welded on my Haro x2.

PLEASE anyone offer some help i have always wanted to do this

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome to the site.
I would not weld it directly to the bike frame, but make mounts to mount an engine. Look in the DIY section of this site for help.

TechEd

Mar 23, 2010
eagan
Alright il check it out. how about above the back tire? i know i an new at this, but maybe it would work? but it could make the bike off balance

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you mount a small engine above the back wheel, that acceptable. It's called a rack mount and you can use a chain saw engine, weed whacker engine or other similar small engine. 2 hp should be adequate.

TechEd

Mar 23, 2010
eagan
Thank you, you are helping so much =]
how fast would my bike go is the question though.
I would like it to go fairly fast, also i would like to be able to still petal when my gas runs out. i hear that is possible. I have almost all the equipment needed. all i need is knowledge

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can get 20-30 mph out of that type of engine, which is plenty fast enough for a bicycle frame/wheels.

The type of mount set up you are talkig about lets you release the roller from the wheel so you can pedal just like a "regular bike" search for "rack mount" and have a look at the Titan, Staton and others like it for ideas. Some have a drive roller (simple to make) some have a clutch and chain. Better in my opinion if you aren't going to pedal much.

TechEd

Mar 23, 2010
eagan
Alright sounds good, yeah that is fast enough. thank you for taking time to help me out, if i havbe any more questions i might ask you

TechEd

Mar 23, 2010
eagan
the engine i found will not work. i have to find a new one. appparently without a clutch it will go the same speed and is harder to start.