Hello. From California. Motor bicycle W.I.P.

GoldenMotor.com

darkphoenix2x5

Mar 7, 2009
Temple City, CA
Hello everyone. Hmm, I don't really know where to start. About six months ago, I bought a 1966 Yamaha Yg1 off craiglist for 400 bucks. I didn't know much about motorcycles and the bike didn't work but I figured I learn through messing around with it. I worked on it for about a month before I got began work on a film that ended up consuming all my free time. The film premiered last friday and my bike is still sitting in the garage. In febuary I realized that I wouldn't really be able to work on the bike.

Sorry how disjointed all this is, I just am typing as I think.

So anyways, about a week ago, I was just wandering around the internet click on random links from the various sites I visit often. Somehow I ended up seeing a picture of a derringer motor bicycle. I read all about this thing because I just thought it was the coolest looking bicycle/motorcycle thing I had seen. 2000 dollars. I don't have that. I started looking into motor bicycling in general and that quickly led me to this forum. after reading about motor bicycles, I came to the conclusion that with relatively little work[compared to fixing up a 40 year old motorcycle] I could have a little motor bicycle to call my own.

Everything that I read made it seem like putting together something that looked like a derringer would cost around 600-800 dollars. That I had. I started researching the motor. After reading a lot of the threads on this forum, I went with the USA bike motors 80cc black motor.

I knew i wanted a track racer look so, I started looking at frames that would fit that look. I looked on Craigslist and eBay for a few days, and while I found things I liked, I just couldn't decide on one frame. And then, i found a felt 1903 bicycle[ridden twice] for 290 dollars.

I think this is a beautiful bicycle. It looks so classy. So streamlined. Everything just fits so nicely. And then I thought, man, I'm gonna have to put that ugly hump tank on top of this awesome looking frame.

I figured, this bicycle looks so nice, someone must have used it for a frame. Found one, but the guy had cut the frame up and then welded the holes shut and then welded the whole thing back together. I don't know how to weld and I don't know how to paint a bicycle to look like its never been welded. there goes that idea. Then I found manaox2 and HBLOCAL. This seemed like a good way to go. I bought the bicycle the next day for 250. This is pretty much where I am at right now.

I've have...
the felt 1903 bicycle.
A gas cap and bung
The Motor kit.
A 3 speed coaster brake hub and a front drum brake hub are on the way.

I drilled the gas cap hole today. I then JB welded the front tube. Now it's drying out.

Sorry if that was too long.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got one pretty sweet project bike going on. Don't forget to post pics when she's do. I'd love to see how nice it turns out!