Has anyone tried to mount a bolt on cag carb.?

GoldenMotor.com

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
I'm new to mb's. My kit is a grubee skyhawk 66cc. With the supposed cns race carb. At least thats what the guy that sold it to me said. The thing is a pile.

I do own several cag pocket bikes. If you know anything about them. You know youre always in the carb.

I'm wondering. Has anyone tried to mount a cag carb directly to the back of there cylinder? If so how did it work.

Between this piece of junk carb, and the chain tensioner. I've almost had enough. If it wasnt for my pocket bike expieriance I would have given up.

The build wasnt that easy either. The guy says yeah it will go right in that bike. Everything you need is included. After about six trips back to his shop and about $100.

I have done some good stuff with my pocket bikes and think alot of it would carry over. So please help me.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
What kind of bicycles are you mounting the engine to? Pics also help. I'm not sure I can better explain it, but there will be difficult builds and "dream builds".

My first bike, a Micargi Huntington, was not an easy build. Engine allignment and chain allignment, as well as seating the engine at a good angle, were somewhat problematic. And, since the downtube was a larger size, I needed to purchase a special mount.

My old JC Higgins is practically a dream to build on. THe only drawback I can possibly think of is that I NEED to use a chain tensioner/guide wheel or the chain will tear up my chain stay. I originally wanted to do without and just adjust the rear wheel accordingly. Other than that, it was almost made to be motorized.

Different bikes work out differently. Show us what you got. :)

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
Its a Specialized rock hopper. Its aluminium so it has big tubes.

I've got most the bugs worked out. I'm just having a couple issuse. I just want to be able to go for a nice long ride. On a reliable bike.After its broken in. If I dont give up first.

I'm doing this from my phone so pics are a pain.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
I do own several cag pocket bikes. If you know anything about them. You know youre always in the carb.
What do you mean, "always in the carb"?

I have a spare HT jug lying beside me and a cag carb too. The bolt holes don't line up, but if you slotted the holes in the carb I don't see why it wouldn't work.

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
Well I had a chance to look at the bike today. Noticed I had a broken chain. I had a chopper laying around. So I took the chain off of it.
I also moved the the tensioner forward,and shortened the drive chain. That seemed to fix my problem of the chain comming off.
The rear sprocket still has more runout then I like. I will probably mess with that later.
I also noticed the carb was loose. So I loosened the bolt slid it back a little. Pushed forward until I felt it pop into place. That seems to have fixed that problem.
has anyone tried a piece of hose that fit over the manifold. One that was 2mm. Thick long enough to get rid of that o-ring?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Sounds to me like you're going through the same sorts of things we all go through. It often takes an amount of tinkering to get these things working the way we want them to. Don't get discouraged just yet. If ever you run across a problem you can't solve right away, continue bringing them to us. We're always glad to help whenever we can.

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
Thanks Allen wrench. I do enjoy tinkering.
Took it for a ride today. Not to much. It ran pretty good once it warmed up. No chain falling off.
But as I was walking by it this evening I noticed it was leaking fuel.
Looks like Im taking the carb apart tommorrow. I think I will do the gasket matching and grinding on the manifolds.
Are there any mods I need to do inside the float bowl? Like adjust float highth? If so can someone point me in the right direction? I know on some carbs they put float stops in them. So it doesnt ever get enough fuel. Again its the new cns carb.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The CNS carb. Oh, I am no expert on the CNS carb. There are people on this forum who know WAY more about it than I do. I can only let them chime in. I'll let them tell you about CNS carbs. I would not know wherefrom I speak.

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
Is there anyone that has gotten one to work properly?
Ive heard they are supposed to be a mikuni knock off. Ive never had problems with mikuni carbs. Pops was a motorcycle mechanic,and I was his hip pocket. I was on a pit crew for a 24hrs.endurance race at Willow Springs. When I was 12. My job was jet swaping as the temps change. Generally the main jet changes with every ten degrees of temperature.

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!
Air leaks from the carb/manifold interface are a common problem. I solved mine by epoxying the gap in the bottom of the white plastic carb spacer and poof! no more air leaks.
Take your time, think about what the goal is, and work slowly...we M/Bers NEVER give up!
FR

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
I've only read they are pains and avoid them myself. I ordered one of the RT carbs from this page.
Page Title

Hoping it's a better bet than the CNS, but I don't know yet. It is a Mikuni SHA 15.15 knockoff IIRC.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
The CNS needs a bigger jet than stock. what happened was that the CNS used to be a nice upgrade carb with a bunch of adjustability, so when they needed a carb to get past the EPA, the used that, and jetted it so lean it would barely run. then they epoxied down the adjustment screws 'to prevent end user tampering'

What a lot of people have done is get a micro drill kit and bore out the jet to get the fuel flowing again, and after that I hear it's a pretty nice carb. I'll be playing around with one of those dellorto knockoffs over the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
The CNS needs a bigger jet than stock. what happened was that the CNS used to be a nice upgrade carb with a bunch of adjustability, so when they needed a carb to get past the EPA, the used that, and jetted it so lean it would barely run. then they epoxied down the adjustment screws 'to prevent end user tampering'

What a lot of people have done is get a micro drill kit and bore out the jet to get the fuel flowing again, and after that I hear it's a pretty nice carb. I'll be playing around with one of those dellorto knockoffs over the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes
CNS or RT? Mine should be here today. :D

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
Found out a couple of things today. One is these petcocks flow like a squirrel with an enlarged prostate taking a leak. Lol. Two,how to fix that horrible cns carb,to manifold seal.
First thing I did was,take some heater hose that fit over the intake manifold and in the throat of the carb. Cut it to fit and, Voila.Second thing I did was take the inline shut off valve off my pocket bike. Then I took a drill and drilled straight through the petcock. Much better flow. I will be looking for barb with the same thread pitch. So I can get rid of the petcock all together.
When I did the hose trick I could tell it was still starving for fuel so I came home and did the petcock.
When I took it for a test ride I went up the same hill I struggled on yesterday and went right up it.
I cant wait to start making the carb work right! It still needs help.
This thing is the funnist thing I can think of to do with pants on right now! Lol. I still have a long way to go.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I got a CNS carb to work pretty good.

It was on a brand new SkyHawk 80. Out of the box it ran like crappy crap. If you gave it anything more than 1/4 throttle if fell on it's face bogging, and dieing. Forget about hills. It always idled and started well though, right out of the box. It had stock exhaust.

I raised the needle to the richest position, and drilled the main jet with a #64 drill bit. Stock was about a #71. The engine was still running breakin mix so I haven't finshed fine tuning it yet.

I think most people don't realize when you push the carb down all the way with a CNS it's not all the way. You still have to push it past the oring. It should thunk into place. If you can't get it to do that you need to work up to where you can at least do about 10 push ups. After that you shouldn't have any trouble installing the carb.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
I just tried running a knock off Dellorto carb that came on the CAG that I used on my trike. It's jetted real rich, and I ran it full choke for a while by accident and it flooded my motor something fierce. So now I'm looking at having to tear the thing down and clean out completly.
Probably throw another base gasket on to lower my compression back down a tad, it's probably way too high