Harley 1915 Boardtracker

GoldenMotor.com

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
I photoshopped an engine in there, and compared it with the original...not too far off I think...but something is wrong...

Took me a while, but I think I have to change the handle bar to a higher position...look at the last pic, that helps to bering it closer to the original...if you switch between last and first you see the difference it makes!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Those mock up photos look spot on. But now I'm really curious as to what engine you will be using on this build. Will you let us know, or will it be a surprise?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Thanks guys...

My wife asked me 'why are you doing this, building a bike just for display reasons??'
I told her I want something beautiful in our house to take a look at when I don't feel good...
Man that was the wrongest thing I could have said at all....
Ouch.

Perhaps you could say...

“But of course with you around, I always feel good”

Nope. You’re in trouble. “-)

-Kirk

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
some engine parts.....mostly from classic german engines, cylinder heads from a Simson moped, cylinders from Sachs stationery engines, engine case from a D-Rad 04, the part for the magneto is original HD JD...

Attachments

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
OH DANG! that looks real good, you are gonna fool everyone that come to you house.
It's too bad that no one is making a modern engine that looks like one of the originals that is affordable. If anyone here has access to a foundry or a machine shop... get to it already. I will be the first inline to volunteer to design the exterior of the engine.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I don't know about American practices, but foundries here charge by the weight for castings. "All" you have to do is turn up with suitable patterns to cast from.

You could make a wooden basic dummy, get the casting made from that, and then clean it up a bit, and add surface details like valves etc after. If you want it to work though, you're on your own.

You could even fibreglass one, that would be a lot easier to pick up and move about.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I don't know about American practices, but foundries here charge by the weight for castings. "All" you have to do is turn up with suitable patterns to cast from.

You could make a wooden basic dummy, get the casting made from that, and then clean it up a bit, and add surface details like valves etc after. If you want it to work though, you're on your own.

You could even fibreglass one, that would be a lot easier to pick up and move about.
I’ve been looking into this and plan to build my own propane powered “backyard” foundry very soon, although there are plenty of art & commercial shops around.

Just make sure to oversize your patterns for aluminum by 3% and keep in mind that even the best cast will still need machining...

-Kirk