guys we need to do something before this gets out of hand.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
guys we need to do something before this gets out of hand. When I was a member of a photo forum a couple of years ago about 10% of all posts were exactly the same, which is better canon or nikon. That is beginning to happen here as well. To make it simple and be sure everyone gets the best and fairest information someone needs to write one good thorough answer and then we can just point the person to it. Otherwise we are going to be getting a lot of different conflicting information out there to new people who trust this forum to be honest and unbiased.

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
That is kind of what I was getting at in my introduction, when I refer a bike prospect to a forum, they sometimes comeback more confused than ever.

The frustration is doubled when the ones who have experienced the builds and rides have to repeat or argue about little molehills, like drilling a hole and adding a ziptie.

Good ideas are always arising, but once a person gets a good workable technique, "touchiness" ensues when someone outta nowhere says "you're doing it all wrong".

I've calculated it every which way, and on certain bikes that customers have brought me out of their barn, I probably make HALF whatever minimum wages are. I can use their bike if necessary, or offer them a Chevy, Cadillac or Lexus type choices on bikes. (A doctor brought me a bike that sold for over $1,000, and my generic Sun's were a lot more comfortable).

Now that I, and MANY MORE OF US because we've been sharing info for years, have pretty fair reputations for building troublefree bikes, if there was one category where we could show all the types and explain the processes, then we wouldn't have to repeat it all in e-mails, we simply send them to our thread.

I don't know how you would distinguish between somebody building them as a sideline business, but I knew nothing about bikes in 2005, now have the deluxe bike workstand, air compressor, drimel, custom frame squeezer, carry spare belts and parts, carry a small inventory of tires and wheels.

So I'm not talking about the regular "build one or two per year" enthusiast, but the many of us who have invested a little money into what IS NOT SOME KIND OF FAD ( at $5 a gallon, it's a necessity)

In other words many of us are OPEN FOR BUSINESS, and for folks looking for experienced motorized bike builders, some kind of "strip mall" could be right next to this "tavern".

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Actually I was talking about the question which is the best kit
Bike builders are not my concern since I never have bought one and never plan to nor to I plan to sell them. I just ignore those threads.

But I have answered the same which kit is best question ten times. And right behind me comes someone else with a different opinion which is fine I would expect that to happen, but some of the opinions could be from people who have a vested interest in selling kits. I would prefer that the answer be more generic and then let who ever wants to add what they wish but the real answer be a complete thread where we can just send the questioner.

It gets to be a problem when we get the same questions over and over and we don't want to be like the other forum and say look it up. Lets do this right and make a thread and be able to just post it to the person so they can read the whole thing.

Search is fine but its also what turned me off the other forum. Instead of someone answering me they said go find it yourself. It really got to me when no one would answer a simple question so I guessed and did the install of the throttle wrong and siezed my brand new engine because the thread i found on my own didn't fully explain what I needed to know.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A couple of problems I'll add....When one askes "which is best?" who is really qualified to say who has the best? Some sellers offer great service at a slightly higher price (you know who you are) some could care less about after the sale service and just dump them off on anyone who will buy. Some get better service than others from the same vendor.

Then there are people who give advice and don't know jack, but give the advice anyhow.

I hear you loud and clear.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Actually I was talking about the question which is the best kit
Bike builders are not my concern since I never have bought one and never plan to nor to I plan to sell them. I just ignore those threads.

But I have answered the same which kit is best question ten times. And right behind me comes someone else with a different opinion which is fine I would expect that to happen, but some of the opinions could be from people who have a vested interest in selling kits. I would prefer that the answer be more generic and then let who ever wants to add what they wish but the real answer be a complete thread where we can just send the questioner.

It gets to be a problem when we get the same questions over and over and we don't want to be like the other forum and say look it up. Lets do this right and make a thread and be able to just post it to the person so they can read the whole thing.

Search is fine but its also what turned me off the other forum. Instead of someone answering me they said go find it yourself. It really got to me when no one would answer a simple question so I guessed and did the install of the throttle wrong and siezed my brand new engine because the thread didn't fully explain what I needed to know.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find someone who has experience with several sellers and their service/products. Therefore, no one is really qualified to speak other than giving their experiences and opinions.

...and no, we don't want an uptight bunch of better than you's that won't help and say "use the search function dumbass" like another forum....

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Finally, I'll say this- There are cheap Chinese engine kits which are great for the tinker-er and shadetree like myself, then there are real quality (and more costly) kits that are for folks who just want to ride, not experiment and adjust.

Suggestions on deacons idea anyone? I'm definitely open to anything anyone has to say.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I personally don't know much but i have seen and heard people here with all different kits having the same kinds of problems it is inherent to the kit itself no matter who sold it. Some will stand behind it for extra money but at least one person said that same person sent the buyer here for advice. I paid about fifty dollars less for my kit and if I had the right instructions it would have gone together just fine.

The clutch handle was crap but at that time almost all the kits had the same one. The throttle i broke myself because I was heavy handed with it while it wouldn't start for me. I don't see that the warren tee would have done me any good.

But that is up to the buyer to decide if it is worth it or not. A new person should know what is fact and what is hype. But frankly we all are writing the same things over and over. It would be nice to say go here ....... and the whole thread is devoted to that question...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes but thats not the question a large percentage ask first lately. They are asking which kit to buy..... A high percentage of the new people who intro themselves ask which kit is best.

I realize there is no one answer but It would be nice if they all got the same information.

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
The main reason I won't build any more trikes is only one vendor offers them. GEBE sells all the kit components without the engine, and folks can get E-bay beefy engines for $140 (but they'll eat up belts).

But the multi unit builders who marry the engine with the bikes don't even have to justify or defend their choices, my prices run from $675-950, and I offer an understood workmanship warranty.

I don't get into the "which is best" debates, I made my pick and the vendor sets the prices for the units. Price is no longer a factor now that engines AND bikes are going into high demand.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I added my two cents and hope others do as well but if you think we need to dump it please feel free to do that to. Good statement which should answer their question without being rude. Keep the address handy and you guys can just post it over to the new people who ask.

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
Id rather not see a commercial for anyone. I think it has the right generic tone
I've used the 4 cycle Honda35 and R/Subaru35, and am just saying that those engines are available right now, because the 2cycle Tanaka blows either one away, and they are flying off the shelves.

It just gives the more realistic status of Japanese engines. They can be used in any type drive including chain and friction, while the oil pan/gas tank configurations of 4 cycles limits the expandability.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have no doubt about that. I don't know that from my experience so I couldn't say it but you certainly are qualified to say it. As far as I'm concerned do it. It is just my opinion that if we say something like that the new people may think that is the only way to go. I don't want that to me who does it.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi All; Your On A Good Idea. Bikeguy Joe, I Think It Was Your Posts I Was Reading A Couple Days Ago About Changing The Bolts , Blue And Red Loc Tite And Blue Jb Weld Etc. It Was All Common Sense And Good ( And Nessary ) Advice . You Did A Nice Job Laying It All Out. The Problem Is, Most People Are Like Me , When All Else Fails, Read The Instructions (yours). From What I Read The Kit Instructions Are Lacking. I`m Glad I Stumbled Onto This Forum While Searching For Motorized Bicycle Parts. It Has Saved Me Some Headaches. Calling Her The China Girl Makes Sense, She Needs Love And Attention. I Have Parts Here And Parts On The Way For A Few Friction Drives. Friction Drives Have Their Advantages And Disadvantages. Life Is A Compromise !! Steer Us To One Easy To Find Thread :) Sound Good.. Ron

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
This is kinda why I started http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=1730 I was hoping members would tell us what kit they got, how they liked it and the service and sell of the dealer. :confused:

What I find a pain, is for exsample someone has a carb question. You know it has been answered before so you want to send a link for that thread, do a search for carb's. Well thier is like thirty post for carbs, it takes forever to go threw all those threads just to find the one that has the answer the member is looking for. 90% of the time I just give up and don't answer the ?

It's also the same reason I started http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35936 How many members asking how to fix a broke stud?? You do a search, and thier is just maybe one or two post about it under a thread like tires or something. Who's going to look under a thread called tires to find out how to fix a broke stud? I was hoping memebers would share the way of fixing stud's and bolt's but.......:confused:

Oh well, whatever. This still is the best motorized bicycle forum on the planet (^)