GT5a/SR Compatible intakes

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Found some compatible intakes for the GT5a engines (sorry dax/horse/PK80 owners). Turns out the Minarelli V1 and V1L engines use the same 40mm exhaust port all our engines use, and 40mm intakes the A series engines use (PK80/flying horse/dax GT5 (non A), whatever only use 32mm bolt spacing)
So those of us looking to order a GT5a or GT2a (or even a super rat), wanting reed valves and a gigantic (proper size!) carb, here you go:

https://www.treatland.tv/minarelli-...ve-intake-p/minarelli-v1l-24mm-reed-block.htm

$130 nets you a 4-petal reed valve, similar to the one Arrow Cycles sells exclusively with their race motors and special ported race jugs, but Arrow charges $220 for that... plus (for me anyway) $80 shipping. Not a good price IMHO, especially when I want to port my own jug, so then I'd just have a race jug sitting around.

So bigger intake? Check! Check Arrow race motors use 25mm if memory serves, so 1mm smaller will get you really close (but their race motor is also case inducted so you wont get as much power, but still much more than stock!)

4-petal proper size reeds? Check!

Lower price? Check!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
now my question is is there a 40mm spaced intake jug with 8mm stud bolt patter we can use on the gt5 and pk 80 motors ?

i would like ti be able to convert a 32mm jug over to a 40mm imtake jug and runn that with reeds on a. bottom end with an 8mm bolt pattern. i guess one could just fill and retap the holes to 6mm but thats a lot of work for a new jug

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Just as easy to open the holes in the jug up from 6mm to 8mm, You could do it with a hand drill with the jug held in a vise, open the holes to 7mm on the first pass, then take it to 8mm on the second pass. Just take your time and keep the bit well lubed.

With a drill press it would be no problem at all.

Being an aircraft mechanic I've had to drill thru 3 or 4 inches of aluminum on plenty enough occasions, the trick is to take your time, keep the bit lubed up good, and keep pulling the bit out every so often to prevent loading up the bit. besides, the aluminum these jugs are made of is pretty easy to drill and cut so I don't see a problem. Just follow the golden rule... take your time.