grubee skyhawk 80cc

GoldenMotor.com

skinnydog1_2007

Mar 12, 2009
melbourne australia
Yes I’m interested too china girl engines are the pits so unreliable. Had the bike motor for less than three months. Clutch cable snapped, accelerator pin to handle bar hole snapped off, chain tensioned fell apart, rear engine mount bolts snapped off in the block, magneto and cdi crapped out not once but twice replaced, main drive gear got stripped had no teeth left on it there is more but I’m getting depressed writing this thinking about the long long rides back home using the pedals because the motor died along the way, Anyway I’m interested in the grubee skyhawk 80cc (66cc) motors as well. Are these made in china? Alot of other China products seemed to be out for a fast buck to their own shame building poor quality items. If ever china goes to war like a world war 3 type thing they will surely be defeated if they build tanks and planes like my bike engine.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
All of these little two strokes are made in China. I have bought six from six different vendors, some run better than others. I have one of the Grubee Skyhawks. It's o.k. Wouldn't say it is much different than the rest of them. I haven't had any major problems with any of them. They do vibrate more than I would like. Especially at high r.p.m.'s
There is a solution to this. If you want a vibration free motor in a two stroke you are going to have to pay the big bucks. Get yourself an Italian made 49 c.c. Morini Franco for around $500.00.
I am going to try one on my next build.

John

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
if you go to usabikemotors.com they carry a deluxe motor of the 66 cc crubee i think they go around 200. i have a 58 cc star fire crubbe and so far no problems

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i reccomend the 48cc dualstart starfire gt-2 grubee motors from gasbike.net.
my motor is still running strong with no major problems.
my gascap broke and a master link on my chain,but those are cheap fixes.

topspeed 35mph all stock,180-200mpg,and the engine still starts the first time.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
If ever china goes to war like a world war 3 type thing they will surely be defeated if they build tanks and planes like my bike engine.
Yeah, but they will have 40 of them to every one of ours and can fix them with parts from an old kitchen sink. :)

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
skyhawk motors is related to the star fire motors i did heard that both engines are really good quality i have mine about a month and so far no problems

Mower Man Chris

Jul 9, 2009
Louisville KY
I have a skyhawk 80cc and i have not had any problems. One of my friends rode mine am bought a stinger 80cc and it is the same thing just doesnt have a dragon eating a snake or something on the side. I tore my engine all the way down when i got it to get the china out. The engine looks prity good i am very happy with it. The choke cable broke very quickly because some of the sleeves were not debured. The twist throttle broke but i replaced it with a 4 wheeler thumb throttle and it makes it much easier to pedal/ride. I would buy one again I am very happy with it.

Just dont look inside the muffler. I cut mine appart because i made a tuned pipe and it looks like a 12 year old used a mig welder with no gas(non-flux core) and some steel he found in the trash.

Hope it helps.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
...and yeah we need jobs, too bad we sent them all over there where the labor is cheap. Nobody wants to pay crazy high union scale when they can get the work done for peanuts.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
iyesterday i fired my first grubee skyhawk, it runs great i only have about 3 miles on it but is very smooth running have an alighnment prob with the rear sprocket no biggie, also have a 49cc grubee with lots of miles kinda my daily driver never a problem with it a hau sheng 66cc same thing no probs after getting everthing adjusted proper, it loves hills!but, if you compare the grubees to like the hau sheng this differences are obvious the casting are much cleaner and the overall workmanship is much better, just one more thing break these things in well take yer time. give em plenty of oil stay off the thottle dont think you can go 30 right out of the box when i fired up the skyhawk yesterday it was very sluggish at first but it only took a couple miles of moderation and it started to light up28:1 fuel for break in, gonna go out soon and fix the sprockrt and will get back, have a great day guys, frank

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I had read that the Grubee engines don't put out as much power as other HT engines. Is there any validity to this statement?

I feel that the newer rod end roller bearing engines are all weak compared to the Kingsmotorbike bushing engine that could climb any hill with stock 44 tooth sprocket and topped out at a reasonable speed.

Last edited:

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I had read that the Grubee engines don't put out as much power as other HT engines. Is there any validity to this statement?

I feel that the newer rod end roller bearing engines are all weak compared to the Kingsmotorbike bushing engine that could climb any hill with stock 44 tooth sprocket and topped out at a reasonable speed.[/QUOTE

Everyone else's motors put out more power than everyone else's motors

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina

I feel that the newer rod end roller bearing engines are all weak compared to the Kingsmotorbike bushing engine that could climb any hill with stock 44 tooth sprocket and topped out at a reasonable speed.

I'd love to slap the S$iT out the guy who started the myth that bushings were better than caged needle bearings. Thats my rant

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
So whats the difference between the motors with the 8mm cyl. studs except that they have 8mm studs????? The 2 differences I see is the slant head and the cyl. studs.....Anything else???? It`s a 66cc motor....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The "bearing motors" tend to spit out the needles....and they aren't "newer" either.

They don't really make more or less power.

Still wanna slap me?