Greyhound in a 51 Schwinn Cantilever build

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear, that says it for me but as Red Green said "if the ladies don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" and the young {to me} lady at the local Home Depot found out that I built a sidecar for my bike{she asked where the things I bought were going} she now asks when it will be finished and is there room for her to go for a ride every time I see her. If you noticed the sidecar on mine is big enough for anyone under 8 but that is it. I have seen women and the way sidecars interest them plus everyone who wants to try it out.
I just cut out the hopefulls.

No hurry about the measurements. Just so long as you can do it before you leave.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice looking bike ....I guess I missed this one. Hows it behaving?
The 51 Schwinn of this thread is the bike I took with me to Maryland for the winter. I had it on a motorcycle rack on the back of the jeep and by the time I had traveled through 1300 miles of snow storms and road salt it was covered in road crust. It did an amazing job of instantly making the bike look like what it is... sixty years old. The salt has eaten through some of the paint and there is rust appearing on the old handlebars, etc. I've ridden it just about every chance I've gotten this winter and spring through snow, slush and mud puddles. It has been a workhorse hauling me back and forth down and up this mountain to go to the local town of Thurmont for groceries, library movies and goods from the hardware store. The motor has been great, starting easily and running smoothly. The Qmatic transmission has been a dream, giving me no problems at all. I've had one flat tire, the mickey mouse throttle linkage I made up came loose once and had to be tweaked and I recently had an issue with the drive chain master link (half link) coming apart. But that's it for many miles of pleasurable riding. The bike now has an in frame gas tank thanks to Tinsmith. The Qmatic and greyhound make a nice power unit and I plan to build another. I also think the cantilever Schwinn is a good choice for a bike, having a solid frame with plenty of room for the engine.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I took a couple of pictures of the 51 today looking dirty and road worn. The in frame gas tank was developed by Tinsmith (Dan) over the past couple of months and is the prototype. Nary a leak so far and I like it a lot. We have since made a second version in tin and then one in copper. The tank sitting on the seat is my first try, finished this afternoon and I'm very pleased with the result. This one has fittings on the back side for a site gauge and will go on a 53 cantilever Schwinn which is also slated to receive a Greyhound with Qmatic transmission this summer.
SB

Attachments

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Nice build SB.. Lots of help to be found here!!...thanks for your comments! I keep going back to this thread so I had to comment on it !

Cheers

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you, Troy. That was the idea, to document as well as I could in order to help others. Even mistakes and wrong turns are helpful if they help someone else avoid the same issues And not having great tools and workshop or an unlimited budget are also encouragement, I think, to go ahead and try something.
SB