Grenade finally went off!

GoldenMotor.com

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
The grenade finally went off!

I rode the bike wide open throttle for about 14 miles, some stops here and there.
The bike is doing 45mph at ~high 8k rpms on flat ground, going downhill it got up to 9300rpms. I was keeping up with traffic on a 50mph road.

The surprising thing was that the cylinder is totally perfect! other than the metal bits all over the engines guts, it just needs a new piston.

Does anyone know if there are higher quality pistons we can use for these?

It doesnt look like it melted through, just that there was so much pressure it cracked and blew through. Also to mention, just before this happened, my cdi cable broke at the base of it and i heard it "snapping" for about 10 feet before the engine stopped. Probably caused some MAJOR pre-detonation and exacerbated a weak spot that was already present (or so im thinking)

Im just happy I didnt even come near falling, and of course that i have a 3/4 helmet+leather jacket to ease the fall a bit if i did.
============================================================
From Norman***********
For some good info on why your engine let go Google "2 stroke hole in piston" you will have some good reading and info.
As for a better piston??? Wieco maybe, that might be misspelled. You will want to do a real good check of all the bearing on the crank for tiny flakes of melted aluminum, any in question should be replaced. Your Cdi malfunction probably is the leading cause of the failure and not a weak piston.

Last edited by a moderator:

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
the cylinder was painted with high heat paint that likes to rub off when any gas is on it.
The unfortunate thing was I messed up on my fuel mixture this morning. I usually run 60:1 amsoil saber but accidentally added more oil in my tank before mixing with gas (so basically was probably ~30:1) which would lean it out and make sense why that happened (hadn't thought about that til now)
The chunk of metal that looks like its on the cylinder is actually just on the gasket. Like i said before i am amazed that the cylinder came out unscathed. no gouges, no scratches other than what was already there from use, it doesn't make sense to me but ill take it!

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
09 grubee skyhawk gt5, transfer ports opened, 2 boost ports up cylinder walls as tall as transfer ports, piston ramped and dremmeled to increase intake timing, puch 70cc hi hi compression head, speed carb ported slightly & rejetted to a 72, yz 80 expansion chamber, 36t rear sprocket.
Was quite a bit from stock. Ordered a new piston and rings for $26, I'm just happy that's all it's going to take for now.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
09 grubee skyhawk gt5, transfer ports opened, 2 boost ports up cylinder walls as tall as transfer ports, piston ramped and dremmeled to increase intake timing, puch 70cc hi hi compression head, speed carb ported slightly & rejetted to a 72, yz 80 expansion chamber, 36t rear sprocket.
Was quite a bit from stock. Ordered a new piston and rings for $26, I'm just happy that's all it's going to take for now.
Sounds like a race bike, you should bring it out to the track and see how it
does against the Arrow Motorized Cycle bikes. :D

Dave Rust is talking about putting up some cash prizes for the 2 Stroke Pro class.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
you might not think so, but all the bearings in that motor has the melted piston on them. kinda like a bad aluma coat from h.e.l.l. sorry dennis

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
An amature built racebike at best! I've heard the aarow bikes HAUL! the races sound like a blast! I'll have to try to get out there sometime! It's at willow springs correct?

Yeah the aluminum shards are going to be a pain to get out of the bearings, but I'm sure after the hours of cleaning I plan on doing, it will be good enough to run without too much worry. So long as the aluminum didn't melt to everything, but doesn't seem so thus far.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
yea i posted and didnt see #5 so im sure you know what your doing. up grade to japan bearing and stuff the case, good to go. next race is at grange kart track, outside of victorville. lots of fun. good luck dennis

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
yea i posted and didnt see #5 so im sure you know what your doing. up grade to japan bearing and stuff the case, good to go. next race is at grange kart track, outside of victorville. lots of fun. good luck dennis
I barely know anything about these, but learn fast enough to get myself in trouble :). You wouldn't happen to know the exact bearings I should replace (sizes or parts numbers?)

What's everyone stuffing with? I've heard cork or jb weld work well.

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
I concur with Joe... That engine was running way too lean to blow a hole in the piston like that!! :(
I'll be upjetting the carb for sure then! Should the plug have shown this? I did a few plug chops before blasting and color seemed good. Or being that I have pretty high compression, should plug gap be slightely smaller?

And thanks to everyone on here for the help and advice! It's all very much appreciated!

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
search its somewhere here for the #'s. and jb on a blasted surface. if the plugs looked good, its prob. too much compression for the gas. or timing or both.190+psi=racegas. chineeze time bombs ya know! arrow makes fast time bombs. best anyone can do is a longer fuze. im pretty sure 9000 rpm is a record and records=kaboom ask bairdco, good luck dennis

Last edited:

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
Found the bearing list :)
Also, i have the jug off and noticed the transfer ports didn't line up perfectly, so i took a dremel to the crankcase and to my surprise, it was alot of material that i removed to match them! I'm thinking this may just get me a bit more out of this little engine....after i break in the new piston rings...ughhh
Im also thinking about using lucas octane booster with my gas mix in hopes of keeping this at bay for a bit longer next time. I would use the cheaper stuff (oriley) but ive been told it really doesnt make much of any difference.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've used Lucas stuff for years with good results. I use the two stroke semi-synthetic oil in my Pig ChinaGirl. Never tried the octane boost.
You do know it's worthless unless you need it to prevent detonation, right? Octane DOES NOT IMPROVE POWER unless high compression is limiting factor causing detonation. Race gas is not needed 99% of the time except in high-compression race engines. Especially a piston port two-stroke. It's just not required.

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
Just looking to prevent some of the knock. I've got pretty high compression, not sure as far as numerical values because I've never tested it. Worth it as a test to see if the "pinging" stops.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
An amature built racebike at best! I've heard the arrow bikes HAUL! the races sound like a blast! I'll have to try to get out there sometime!
It's at willow springs correct?
The next SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing extravaganza is at Grange Motor Circuit, Apple Valley, CA on Saturday April 13th.

There are going to be two Chinese kit bike classes this race, Pro and Amateur.
So you got a much better chance and there are some very cool prizes too.

Piston Bikes is putting up one of those aluminum built in gas tank frames for first place for the new amateur class and Dave Rust of Arrow Motorized Cycles is giving out cash prizes`for the Pro class.

Yes, the Arrow bikes haul butt but now you can buy the exact same race motor as they run and Dave Rust is giving discounts and support for verified racers.

These are the engines that were engineered strictly for racing for the Arrow Motorized Cycles Race Team and after research and development, will now be available for purchase for the other class of racers. If you are a MBR with a designated racing number who rides the circuit, special racers discounts will apply and support programs.

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
To get rid of the knocking, add a second head gasket to lower the compression. ;)
What about having a thinker base gasket? Or will I basically be chasing my tail due to decreasing both sides of the compression?
Reason being I have virgin teflon I use to make gaskets in my car. they're 1.5mm thick, resist high heat (don't transfer it) and seal very well on less than perfect surfaces. My car is boosted at 21psi and I've never had a leak from the gaskets.
On a side note I do plan on stuffing the crankcase while I have it apart.

I wish I could justify buying an aarow! But I am going to try to make it out to the race! Amature class :)