Got my Magic Pie 3!!

GoldenMotor.com

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I would clean any sticky gunk out of the gripps first if you ever want to get them off without using a razor. Hot water? Good idea!

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Thanks kevyleven007.
I did learn that one just needs to stick an allen wrench in between, squirt rubbing alcohol or vodka in there, and twist away. Wish I'd thought of that last week.
Also, when slipping them on, I learned that using hair spray will do two things, (besides hold your hair straight), one it will lubricate to slide on, and when it dries it will stick and keep the handle from turning. . . .if that is what you want.

Bike just had rack-1 installed and bike shop adjuster kid is going for a joy ride and I will be riding it to work tomorrow! That seat mounted frame from GM is pretty military angle iron industrial strength. whew. for now at least.

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
I need some advice on the spokes that come with the Magic Pie 3:

I just received the wheel I ordered to match my GM Magic Pie rim.
I had ordered spokes too. I received spokes for a motor hub build, not a regular bike wheel build.(read: really short to accomadate the motor size).

The question:
are there any spokes available in the US that would match Magic Pie spokes? Of course I know I can get spokes and that what I want is pure cosmetic. I know that. But that is what I am looking for, matching spokes from a US supplier. GM has sent the wrong stuff twice now in my single DIY kit.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I used my old spokes that came with my hub but I know you can take your hub and 36 hole rim to a good bike shop and they can cut, spoke & true your rim. That's what I did for my Boxer back when I had the h2o cooled Morini on it. Most bike shops have a spoke tool that cuts and threads the spoke to fit your rim.

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
I guess I'm speaking Chinese haha.
I need longer spokes for a motorless wheel to match my Magic Pie 3 wheel.
I've got the rim, but no spokes (they are wrong size, thank you GM).

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Ok, I should learn to spell G-O-O-G-L-E haha.
There are tons of discussions on spokes and sizes, in fact when I googled "spokes for Magic Pie 3" I found the GM canada guy and a thread that said:

110mm long, 2.5 mm thick for the new design.

Also I'm not even sure im measuring them from the right spot. If you do use these measurments make sure you specify it is from the inside of the elbow to the tip.

here was the link
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2480.0

So, 2.5mm, but for 26" and I need for 29" which I bet I can google but I am tired.

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Ok, found something on Sapim, but now to figure out who and where to order them from, once I measure for sure. I swear the MP spokes are slightly narrower than the spokes sent. hmm, and sapim does have 2.3mm and 2.6mm (read: 13g and 12g thank you very much!)
http://www.sapim.be/spokes/basic/leader

Hold the presses, this just in. Top of Google search for "where can I buy custom Sabim spokes" and only 0.98 cents each!
http://holmeshobbies.com/Sapim-Stainless-Custom-Spokes.html

stay tuned, more to come

Last edited:

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
almost forgot, sheez.

I rode into work this morning on the contraption. The speedometer I put on read 28 mph on the flat areas, no pedaling. It took me 41 minutes with one wrong turn. That is 29 minutes off of regular bike time, the same as my car commute, and 15-30 minutes quicker than the light rail. Battery still registered half full after the 14 miles, it took 2.5 hours to charge at work.

This is straight from the factory.

I know I could tweak the voltage and amps to get more speed or more time.

motor and wheel 300
battery 318
shipping 300+
riding past the peleton of riders in their tight spandex with Campanolli written all over with my feet wailing to keep up with motor and cackling as loud as I can. . . . . priceless!

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Like I've been saying, it costs a grand to build a good electric and it's worth it.
Yes! And a forum or 2 of experienced ebikers, and thanks for everyone's input.
I plan to do a summary of all my steps and problems for the future newbie.

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Ok, rode home in record time. Speedometer was saying 30.4 mph on level. Motor must be loosening up, it was 28 max this morning.
This thing ain't your mommy's pedal assisted bicycle. It's more of a motorcycle than I had envisioned. Heavy machine.
I think I will be doing a pre-flight check every time I take off.
Battery still had green "Full" light on after I got home 14 miles after charging at work. Friday I'll try the 19 miler over the river and through the woods to work.

I need to figure out a kick stand. Gonna be a hard one. Also switched the white cable ties to black ones . . . now I'm in stealth mode!

I also really need a tiny smaller rear gear so I can peddle assist. I can barely touch the motor when it's going full bore.

Last edited:

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Brakes from GM are cheesy, wobble around, but seem to work and trigger the regen whatever. Are there any better brakes in this world for this Magic Pie Kit?

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
I've ridden my new contraption for some miles now but not sure where this ring/washer goes.
This might be related but my gear side (6 gear cassette from GM) of the tire is closer to the frame than on the disc brake side. The wheel turns true and balanced. Should I be evening this out with this big washer between the cassette and motor? Or with small oval-hole washers? Does this mean I can put a cassette on with even a smaller gear?

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
most bikes dont need that ring. it goes behind the sprocket if the sprocket rubs. if sprocket turns freely ring not needed. so how you liking your motorized electric bicycle?

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
my new torque arms. Got 2. On one side I moved it in as a spacer since I needed that much. These are hefty dudes. $50 from a guy who works as a machinist at a large farm. I cut out a template from card stock and the rest was history. Happy am I.

Next episode:
My awesome support arms using MP Rac-1 and seat downtube. Stay tuned!

Attachments

Last edited:

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
Presenting Her Highness, Young Debutante Ready for Road/Trail!

Ok, finally got matching spoked and rimmed front wheel for new Magic Pie III. Also have 20mm thick steel custom torque arms on each side of motor. Also have build extra supports for seat post mounted battery rack since it is very unstable on rough roads/trails/terrain.
Attached are pictures of my new baby.
Can you locate the new custom bike stand?
Can you see the matching rims?
How about the $12 fenders? Nya ah ah

I am not done. I have some steel pipe that I'm hoping the inside diameter is the outside diameter of my downtube that holds the supports and seat post. I plan to saw it in half, put it around the downtube, and drill through it and hook the supports on that way. At 30 mph you can't be too bullet proof. Now where do I get a motorcycle helmet and some leathers? serious

I have one problem. The last photo shows how my disc brake isn't centered and is rubbing and bending on the mobile side of the calipers. I am going to try adding a thin stainless steel washer to move it a little away. But that is why I am not riding it yet, even in the non-stop Oregon rain.

Thanks for everyone's help. I now have a dual suspension motorized "floater". Special thanks to Paul and to the GM canada guy who's picture of his wife's motorized mountain bike inspired me to not give up on the concept.

Attachments

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
awesome looking motorized bicycle. your calipers should have minumim of three different ways to adjust. before adding washers or anything like that do a you tube search and adjusting disk brakes. it looks in the picture that caliper is at an angle so should just need some fine tuning. great job on your new ride, looks very nice for sure

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Looks great! Paint the new supports black and they would blend right in. I cannot wait to hear your riding impressions.

bikeslob

Jul 31, 2013
Gresham, Oregon
The bike rides great I already know that, but the battery rack needed reinforcing since the dual suspension would only allow the seat post mounted version. Before painting I might switch the aluminum supports to square angled steel, small diameter. I also have some steel pipe I might saw in half to re-enforce the downtube that holds the seat post. Then I can just drill through that and hook the supports on. No sliding for sure.

Now, next step because of this dang Oregon/West Coast rain, I found this silicone sealant that I believe was suggested to put around the wire where it goes into the "pie". eh?

Attachments