generators for head and tail lights

GoldenMotor.com

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
I've run into a problem here and I need some advice.. I've been building out bikes with head and tail lights hooked up to your standard type bike generator that runs against the wheel.. So far I've had a huge problem as the generators either come faulty (yay China!) or blow out the bulbs THEN crap out on me.. I'm guessing I've got too many RPMS for the lil generator to handle..Anyone else have this problem or is it the luck of the draw, and does anyone have any idea besides using the white wire or using battery operated lights?

:-||

aquarianmonkey

Sep 27, 2009
sedona Az.
The gen. lights are not good on M.B.s since the speed of the bike can spike them up to 18 volts. Wonderfullcreations makes a mini gen that fits in the eng. behind the mag it puts out 6 volt ac and can be very usable I have one on my bike with a 6 volt sla. bat and 6 volt reg/rec to convert from a/c to d/c voltage and run L.E.D.s it was a pricey project but I have good lights and have enough power to run a 6 volt horn in the future. The nice thing also is being able to have lights without the eng running. I hav'nt any good pics of this but soon..shft.

JmE

Dec 29, 2010
Ohio
Yep... old thread for sure.

IMHO, a larger wheel on the generator would introduce insufficient voltage at low RPMs.

I ride a plated CRF100 (XR100) with everything, including turn signals, on AC right now. Simplest way would be a simple regulator. Headlights and LED tail lights will run off of AC only. HOWEVER, at stop there wouldn't be any lights since the tire isn't turning.

A better way would be an inexpensive NiMH battery pack, regulator/rectifier, and everything off of DC. No special charging circuit needed and there will be lights for a while even when the bike is stopped.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
get a sturmey archer dynohub/drum brake. you can build your own lighting system, buy one ready made, and even get phone, ipod, gps, and battery charger systems for them.
I am kinda spoiled I will need a big screen TV with mine:p and a depth finder:D

Last edited:

juliman

Dec 30, 2010
qld australia
I am kinda spoiled I will need a big screen TV with mine:p and a depth finder:D
LOL I WISH!, also i was thinking, since my friedns thumpster is dead( he had it for 7 years and didnt change the oil once !!!) i was gunna ask him for the starter motor( it was an electric and kick start 125cc) and somehow connect it to the engine , most likely from the crankshaft, and use it to charge a battery of run light s or something, if i got it to work it should put out about 12 volts at idle,since it was a 12v starter motor, thats if it didnt kill the engine from the extra resistance of the motor,

anyway ill stop rambling on now =)

p.s i dont think my friend will give me the motor, but i got heaps of random stuff laying around

anyway dnut