Gas Tank Studs

GoldenMotor.com

cimel

Aug 12, 2011
idaho
Rock voice built the same bike it would be nice to hear him comment. what do you think about fence brackets they should work.

cimel

Aug 12, 2011
idaho
2 door i live in mccall idaho i will have to go to boise to get what i need. Thanks to all you for responding every one. I realy like this forum.

cimel

Aug 12, 2011
idaho
Sorry 2 door I did not mean to be a doo-sh i am thankful for all the input i just do not live in a place that has what i need.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Rock voice built the same bike it would be nice to hear him comment. what do you think about fence brackets they should work.
So your 1 dog town does not have a hardware store?
If they don't have plumbers tape steal some from under your house
or even better your neighbors. :)

RockVoice hasn't logged in in a long time so taking the effort to type
out the brand / type of bike will help. RV built a lot of bikes.

do you have a 2 liter or the larger 2.5 liter tank? One uses 5 mm studs
and the other has 6 mm

fence brackets?

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
@rhodeisland, thanks for the link to the weld nuts...looks very similar to the flower nut in the ht engines clutch nut...

@avalanche, very nice idea...looks like you could even stash your wires up under there...

Personally I use plumbers tape and some flat washers...but the threaded rod couplers look perfect...theres definitely a few great ideas here...and anyone whos taken their gas tank off fire whatever reason knows the bolts are crap...

Oh and I fold a piece of bike tube, and place it under the tank at the bolt points...helps vibration and helps stop the tank from slipping or spinning upside down...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've posted this suggestion several times before but I'll repeat it again here.

Go to a local automotive glass shop and ask for a couple of feet of 'window setting tape'. It is a rubberized sealant used to keep car side windows in their channels. It becomes sticky when wetted with a solvent, WD-40 works, then dries to a soft rubber-like compound that will keep the fuel tank from slipping and will adhere it to the top tube so you don't have to rely on overtightening the nuts on the studs.
If you ever need to remove the tank it will come off easily and will go back on with no effort. It comes on a roll. Is about 1/8" thick and 2" wide.

Give it a try. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Tom

carburetor al

Jun 14, 2020
Local Ace does not have 5 mm couplers.They do have nylon spacers.I dont think vibration will effect nylon.Will find out !