Gas tank safety concern

GoldenMotor.com

beerbattered

Jan 1, 2010
Coral Springs FL
This may be overly cautious of me but, if you are out riding (and stopping here and there) for the day with air temps in the 90's, wouldn't a black gas tank get wicked hot? South Florida sun doesn't play around. I've literally burned my back by leaning against a black pickup with my shirt off during the summer. I just don't like the idea of my fuel being 100 and whatever degrees. Your thoughts?

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
If your cap is vented properly, not a problem. Take a look around. How many motorcycles have black tanks? If not most, at least a large proportion...and you don't see them exploding on hot days. In fact, I've never heard of one case. Ride on.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I'll have to agree with hough and azbill. Seeing how my last motorcycle had a black tank, and it didn't blow. But if it really makes you feel at ease you can always paint it

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
All the guys here got it right,no worries.I rode my bike all summer long under the california sun temps ranging from 90 to 118 never had any trouble,also I store my bike out side,and rarely does it see any shade.An otherwords ride on brotha.Randy

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Tape a design on the top part of the tank and use a lite colour of choise,remove tape and admire the art.